The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Can tell schaub got hurt lol

It’s not Dana’s fault that schaub said something stupid

Idk if schaub still has a big following or not but it’s crazy how much I feel like he’s become irrelevant. Again, I could be technically wrong but I don’t see him being amongst the top tier mma voices like he kinda was hovering around years back

His opinions are about as stupid as chaels are these days

Schaub has probably equally if not more haters than he does followers at this point. I always get these random podcasts on Youtube with people dedicating their channel to just hating on the guy. I think it's a little overkill but then they do have a legit point, especially with his comedy.

Ngl I would be really surprised if O’Malley won. I like him but against better comp he just fights completely different and didn’t look like he was comfortable

Don’t get me wrong at all, I want to see colby vs chimaev

But on paper- how exactly would colby be a bad matchup for chimaev? I’m reading this sentiment all week

Will colby control chimaev? I don’t see it

Even if chimaev can’t control colby or take him down and it turns into a striking match, I don’t see how colby wins that

If colby has the edge in cardio, is that really enough to say he’s a bad matchup

Yes. And No.

I think Colby going to be playing keep away that first round to avoid what befell the Leech and Holland. And we can’t pretend Khamzat doesn’t have power in his hands.

What Colby does have is his pace/cardio that he weaponized on his opponent. That Robbie Lawler fight was insane. And when he has his confidence, which he didn’t have in the first two rounds of the second Usman fight, he’s game. I think a third fight against Usman could play out differently.

I’m not saying Colby stops Khamzat. But it definitely further answers the question of if he fought a capable wrestler AND how does he do outside of the first round.

I sit here today believing Khamzat can be the latest champ/champ. Maybe what’s rubbing folks the wrong way besides his attitude is how they (the UFC) gifted him Nate and Holland. Dude is #3 or 4 at WW, his challenges should be commensurate.

Edit: Also O’Malley/Yan. Sean is playing with house money. He’s not even top 10 in BW but fighting the #2. He wins. Title shot. Loses. We say he was going to lose. And he at least knows what elite in the UFC is like and ups his game/training.

But on paper- how exactly would colby be a bad matchup for chimaev? I’m reading this sentiment all week

Even if chimaev can’t control colby or take him down and it turns into a striking match, I don’t see how colby wins that

If colby has the edge in cardio, is that really enough to say he’s a bad matchup

Yeah I think Khamzat would grapple Colby personally.

I think he tries to ragdoll everyone in the top 10 with the exception of Burns.

Not to say he couldn't stand with everyone else cause he could.

Burns had the power and even dropped Khamzat but that man was still pressuring forward all fight. Man's would not be worried about Colbys stand up at all to close the distance.

I 100% believe Khamzat would run 170 until Shavkat is ready. He would absolutely ragdoll Colby, Leon and more than likely Usman. Only been one fight but seems like he learned his lesson too against Burns in getting baited to a brawl. Man's went straight with the feint power double on Kevin.

That size difference and athleticism mixed with his fighting style is too much against 98% of WW.

Interested to see if The Rock responds. Amazing the ufc can do all these partnership deals and the fighters get Pennie’s on the dollar for it if they even get paid for it.

Has anyone tried to out wrestle Khamzat?

Sometimes defensive wrestling is different than offensive wrestling. How impenetrable is his takedown defense against a great wrestler…especially when he’s being hyper aggressive? Yoel Romero got taken down quite a few times in the UFC.

And I doubt Khamzat’s cardio will be bulletproof if he’s not dictating the terms of engagement. Would still pick him to win against Colby.

…but wouldn’t be shocked if Colby grinds him down.

Yeah I think Khamzat would grapple Colby personally.

I think he tries to ragdoll everyone in the top 10 with the exception of Burns.

Not to say he couldn't stand with everyone else cause he could.
Honestly, even if he didn't rag doll him, if the wrestling/grappling turns into a stalemate I'm going to favor Chimaev even with Colby's cardio

The bottom line is: I don't see how Colby is such a bad matchup for Chimaev

The type of skill set that is the worst for Chimaev on paper imo is a striker with great take down defense

Burns had the power and even dropped Khamzat but that man was still pressuring forward all fight. Man's would not be worried about Colbys stand up at all to close the distance.

I 100% believe Khamzat would run 170 until Shavkat is ready. He would absolutely ragdoll Colby, Leon and more than likely Usman. Only been one fight but seems like he learned his lesson too against Burns in getting baited to a brawl. Man's went straight with the feint power double on Kevin.

That size difference and athleticism mixed with his fighting style is too much against 98% of WW.
Exactly, I don't see the matchup problems at 170. Not saying Chimaev is unbeatable or that nobody can beat him at 170. I'm just saying if he can make weight, the skillsets aren't all that bad for him.. can't wait for Rahkmanov though that's the one

Him at MW is hella interesting .. are Costa and Izzy etc. that much bigger than him and can stop the take downs...

Has anyone tried to out wrestle Khamzat?

Sometimes defensive wrestling is different than offensive wrestling. How impenetrable is his takedown defense against a great wrestler…especially when he’s being hyper aggressive? Yoel Romero got taken down quite a few times in the UFC.

And I doubt Khamzat’s cardio will be bulletproof if he’s not dictating the terms of engagement. Would still pick him to win against Colby.

…but wouldn’t be shocked if Colby grinds him down.
Yeah you have a point bro. That's one of the questions but somehow I just doubt Chimaev is going to get taken down and controlled consistently by a 170'er. Bruh just got that size...

But that's a fair point

I should watch that again

Stats say: Burns went 0 for 5 on takedowns against Chimaev

Then again Burns aint the wrestler the other dudes are
True, but he does have a nice blast double that he used effectively on Woodley and WB. When he shot on Chimaev that man got brushed off with ease.

Like you said, I don't see these 170 guys being able to have much success on taking him down.

185 would be a different story though

Chimaev vs Colby sounds fun. Chimaev is such a big welterweight, he does compromise himself making the weight but that factors against who.

The burns fight was a fire fight, so it’s hard to gauge Chimaev’s cardio. Most respected grappler vs respected grappler scenarios turns into a striking fight, but I think Chimaev will be confident to stick to his guns and grapple against Colby. I think most people and himself [Chimaev] believe he has the better wrestling.

Hypothetically, if Chimaev for some reason outdoes himself against Colby, and Colby manages to survive then things get interesting. Colby is a cardio machine and can withstand a multitude of punishment based on the Usman fights. But I think those fights took so much out of Colby as an overall fighter.

I got Chimaev that fight. He’s riding so high at the moment. He reminds me of a combination of Jones and khabib, you can just see in their nature they know how to win a fight.

Back
Top Bottom