The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

It’s wild they gave CM Punk a million dollars to fight Mickey Gall meanwhile the guy who has the most title defenses in UFC history was only getting a couple hundred thousand a bout and got traded to OneFC.

Surprised Dana didn't bring up Vitor beating a nearly 60 year old Holyfield.
It’s basically a version of what I predicted that Dana Would say in public.

Using Ngannou’s performance as an excuse to make a ridiculously stupid comment about UFC boxing level.

…while privately throwing a massive temper tantrum over the fact they royally funked themselves by letting Francys get away for NOTHING.

It’s basically a version of what I predicted that Dana Would say in public.

Using Ngannou’s performance as an excuse to make a ridiculously stupid comment about UFC boxing level.

…while privately throwing a massive temper tantrum over the fact they royally funked themselves by letting Francys get away for NOTHING.
Malpractice for them to have botched their leverage by letting him out of his contract as champ without trapping him like everyone else

They could have co-promoted and made more bags. But honestly it seems like Dana has the power in to make these choices and not pay the consequences from the investors

Win or lose against Usyk Fury may retire afterwards. I do think Francis gets at least one more big HW boxing match though. A bout between him and AJ would be huge, do that one in the UK.

Malpractice for them to have botched their leverage by letting him out of his contract as champ without trapping him like everyone else

They could have co-promoted and made more bags. But honestly it seems like Dana has the power in to make these choices and not pay the consequences from the investors
Remember Dana’s plan to get into boxing promotion?

Imagine the doors that would open for that if Ngannou was still the reigning UFC Heavyweight Champion.

…doh.

Win or lose against Usyk Fury may retire afterwards. I do think Francis gets at least one more big HW boxing match though. A bout between him and AJ would be huge, do that one in the UK.
I still firmly believe that he’s going to get exposed if he fights a couple more top guys.

One right hand from Wilder and it’s over.

Wilder is terrible and Francis ate 2 Fury right hands CLEAN. Not sure he even blinked. He could def get exposed but Wilder KO'ing him is unlikely.

Is Dana right?

Wasn’t Tyson Fury fighting too?

Probably just a case of it not being a compelling fight. Not Garcia/Tank. Or Crawford/Spence.

I think Wilder/N’Gannou could possibly do #s if promoted right.

Dana said Francis wasn’t that big of a draw right, basically saying he couldn’t justify paying him more

Francis got his bag from the Middle East money but it seems like the event flopped from that post and didn’t make a huge profit

Can’t blame this on Tyson fury lol- if Francis was that big of a star it wouldn’t have mattered

Not saying Francis is in the wrong or did anything wrong at all- he got paid

Maybe it turns out Dana didn’t mess up as bad as people say he did

I thought you were more informed than this. They broadcast the fight for free in Saudi... US buyers had to go through ESPN+ which only UFC fans have had to do thus far. Look at the metrics of any of the post fight coverage.

Several streaming services had hundreds of thousands of pirates watching. The goal of this event was to open up Riyhad as the Vegas of the Middle East. They weren't trying to turn a profit on PPV which is a seemingly fool hearty endeavor at the moment... you can make MUCH more money doing broadcast/distribution deals. Thats why UFC have been a rocket ship since the pandemic. PPV numbers are nearing irrelevant. 660 mill in profit through 2 quarters?

You see why they shelfed Mcgregor n Jon n Francis yet? They want them boys desperate again. MaC can come back when he's 38 and willing to accept 5 or 10 mill to make us 150. Why bother paying him 25-40M even if its profitable? Cold game.

When conor and Khabib were making the company 300M a show it was different. Now they're making maybe an 8th of that on their title fights. The money they're truly after comes from investors, shareholders and board members not Joe Shmos 69.99.

Eddie Hearn is trying to buy Francis from Don lmao Showtime boxing is dead so he has to get back on his PPV grind

It takes two.

No one wanted to see Tyson Fury fight a MMA guy.

As far as if Francis is a star? Bro, Dana is a promoter. He’s supposed to be the hype man and street team for all of his employees. The UFC sucks at making stars. It’s usually due to the fighter themselves. Could be personality. Performances. Etc.

Can we name actual UFC stars? This is an enthusiast thread so we all know the fighters. Volk? No. Leon? No. Islam? More due to his religion and where he comes from. Strickland? Hill?

Jon, Izzy and Conor might be the only real “stars” in the UFC.

Meanwhile NBA already strapping the rocket to Victor Wembanyama’s back.

The ufc has had zero reason to focus on “making stars” due to their espn deal

When they want to, they do a very good job at promoting- hence their sale to endeavor to begin with

They have no real urgency to promote. They’re printing money while “sucking at promoting”. I would say they’ve gotten complacent but again does it really matter to their bottom line, I’d say no

Francis was never going to get that push due to his management. Not saying who is at fault or not I’m just saying facts— their beef was never going to be settled in the current environment

Promoting across mma doesn’t seem to be great anyway. Look outside the ufc, nobody is really promoting anyone like that. This is a sport in the current state where you have to promote yourself

Mike heck always says this and I agree with him. You make a splash on your own and force the promotion to put you over. It’s obviously backwards but this has been the model for decades, it’s not new

You can’t compare the freaking NBA to the ufc lmao, the ufc and the sport are way younger

We just having fun conversation.

I agree. They’re complacent. We live in the Just Some Fights era.

And they’re banking on the brand versus bank on stars. It makes sense since it’s a league. It’s just weird when there are a ton of leagues out there doing the opposite.

But we’ll see if business picks up after the court case.

It takes two.

No one wanted to see Tyson Fury fight a MMA guy.

As far as if Francis is a star? Bro, Dana is a promoter. He’s supposed to be the hype man and street team for all of his employees. The UFC sucks at making stars. It’s usually due to the fighter themselves. Could be personality. Performances. Etc.

Can we name actual UFC stars? This is an enthusiast thread so we all know the fighters. Volk? No. Leon? No. Islam? More due to his religion and where he comes from. Strickland? Hill?

Jon, Izzy and Conor might be the only real “stars” in the UFC.

Meanwhile NBA already strapping the rocket to Victor Wembanyama’s back.

Jon, Izzy, Conor, O’Malley, and khamzat are the only “stars” I can think of currently fighting

The ufc doesn’t want to promote too much because it harms them in the end in negotiations

They’re tip toeing the line between promoting and leveraging against the fighters

Why would they want to help build a fighter into an entity that could threaten them and/or demand a fortune

Until the landscape changes the ufc has zero obligation to do anything including promoting

Izzy, O’Malley, conor etc all made their own stardom. The ufc is just a platform that can help push the top 1%. Everyone else is just a pawn but at least use the stage for yourself. Paddy and others have done this

This is the game i was talking about with Sterling not getting it and many other fighters like Belal

Aljos style boring. But with his background, style, side job, he should’ve been a bigger star. Merab should be a big star too. Max should be a phenomenon.

But Vince you’re right. But I guess with PFL buying Bellator (and having to promote to sell PPVs) and the court case, we’ll see if the sport changes.

Is Dana right?

Wasn’t Tyson Fury fighting too?

Probably just a case of it not being a compelling fight. Not Garcia/Tank. Or Crawford/Spence.

I think Wilder/N’Gannou could possibly do #s if promoted right.
Nobody thought Ngannou had a chance to win.

Even Spence/Crawford underperformed imo. 700,000 isn’t that great when a fight is billed as the Leonard/Hearns of this genelation.

We’re living in this weird time.

700K!!

That’s pretty good in these times.

They’re saying Davis/Garcia was 1.2 PPV buys.

UFC don’t release #s. I think the Jones/Gane card was the highest grossing card this year.

I think it’s either name value a la Floyd or Conor or compelling match ups like Davis/Garcia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom