The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

How and why do you follow this sport if you deem this type of trash talk socially unacceptable?
You must hate like every fighter apart from Rob Whittaker
A lot of fighters are cringe and say dumb things, I wouldn’t say it’s the norm though.

How and why do you follow this sport if you deem this type of trash talk socially unacceptable?
You must hate like every fighter apart from Rob Whittaker
There’s a lot s*** that gets glossed over in mma because the general fan base likes it and the mainstream media doesn’t cover it or doesn’t care, because it’s the kind of low level behavior they expect from the sport.

It’s the main reason why nothing happened to Dana White after he hit his wife in public.

Is it the end of the world?…No.

Do I have to like it just because I like the sport?

…no.

I think it's a norm for fighters who dislike each other before the fight to say lines like "I'll make you my *****". Like if that's the line that gets drawn that's a lot of fighters who fall under that umbrella imo.

Frozen like Elsa = Cringe
Ill make you my ***** = the norm trash talk in MMA
Crumble like the towers or anything out of Colby's mouth = Stupid

That's how I see it anyway

There’s a lot s*** that gets glossed over in mma because the general fan base likes it and the mainstream media doesn’t cover it or doesn’t care, because it’s the kind of low level behavior they expect from the sport.

It’s the main reason why nothing happened to Dana White after he hit his wife in public.

Is it the end of the world?…No.

Do I have to like it just because I like the sport?

…no.
Dana White hitting his wife is nothing even remotely close to Izzy saying "ill make you my *****". Come on man.

It's fine not to like someone. And to like someone

If you provide reasons that are completely made up or unfounded, that's another issue

i.e. calling someone homophobic

Dana White hitting his wife is nothing even remotely close to Izzy saying "ill make you my *****". Come on man.
I’m not making an analogy.

I’m simply saying that the general standard of behavior or code of conduct that the sport is held to by the outside world is much lower than it is in other mainstream sports.

Therefor a lot of things happen that wouldn’t happen in other sports.

…or if they did happen , there would be repercussions.

But when it happens in mma, there’s either no response or the response is, “Meh…it’s cagefighting…they’re all hicks and mouth breathers.. who cares?”

I don’t think that can be denied.

It's fine not to like someone. And to like someone

If you provide reasons that are completely made up or unfounded, that's another issue

i.e. calling someone homophobic
I haven’t been able to find an interview where he made remarks that were definitively homophobic, so I’ll walk that back.

Just interviews, where he’s calling Marvin Vettori a f*** boy and a b**** and ESPN interview where they’re bleeping out half his remarks.

And I dislike Marvin Vettori even more than Adesanya.

So whatever, I can’t stand the guy and that’s that.

…yes I’m salty.

I haven’t been able to find an interview where he made remarks that were definitively homophobic, so I’ll walk that back.

Just interviews, where he’s calling Marvin Vettori a f*** boy and a b**** and ESPN interview where they’re bleeping out half his remarks.

And I dislike Marvin Vettori even more than Adesanya.

So whatever, I can’t stand the guy and that’s that.

…yes I’m salty.
I'm for all of us to have their guys and guys they cheer against

It makes it funner. But if we gonna get serious and call out folks for being homophobic or anything along those lines we gotta be sure of it :lol:

I might be wrong here, but I think that quote you are referring to was something Sean Strickland said to kevin Holland. That if they were in jail one would be the others *****.

I might be wrong here, but I think that quote you are referring to was something Sean Strickland said to kevin Holland. That if they were in jail one would be the others *****.
I’m almost positive that Izzy had a prison quote along those lines.

But if I can’t find it, then it doesn’t exist.

E0380DBD-4848-4F1E-9F98-BAADB316F6B6.gif

No it isn’t

It should be

1-1 kickboxing
1-1 mma

First kickboxing fight was close- izzy has a good case to win but the fight was in Brazil so

Plus the second kick boxing match, Alex was saved by the ref with the standing 8 count. He honestly should have been slept in that fight
I mean just going by the official results

This was the Strickland quote I was referring to

“I think I told him I could rape him in prison one day and it bothered him. If we were in a jail cell together, if I wanted to, I could take that ***,” he said to the media on Wednesday. He started talking **** to me on Instagram. I see him at the [UFC Performance Institute] the other day and he’s popped out his f*cking chest wanting to fight me. I told him we can’t fight here, Edgar wouldn’t allow it, we can go out to the parking lot right now. The thing about Kevin Holland is he doesn’t know how to embrace his feelings, he doesn’t know how to feel, he’s scared of his feelings. He’s scared of me. I told him I will take you out in the f*cking parking lot and fight you to the f*cking death. I don’t need the money, lets go out these doors, lets go right now. Kevin, he’s a f*cking *****.”

The funny thing is that Rampage is one of my all time favorite fighters…top 3 or 4.

And he certainly made his fair share of crude remarks.

But he was never obnoxiously cocky the way that Adesanya is.

There was no “I’m gonna put leave you frozen like Elsa” lines.🤮

This was the Strickland quote I was referring to

“I think I told him I could rape him in prison one day and it bothered him. If we were in a jail cell together, if I wanted to, I could take that ***,” he said to the media on Wednesday. He started talking **** to me on Instagram. I see him at the [UFC Performance Institute] the other day and he’s popped out his f*cking chest wanting to fight me. I told him we can’t fight here, Edgar wouldn’t allow it, we can go out to the parking lot right now. The thing about Kevin Holland is he doesn’t know how to embrace his feelings, he doesn’t know how to feel, he’s scared of his feelings. He’s scared of me. I told him I will take you out in the f*cking parking lot and fight you to the f*cking death. I don’t need the money, lets go out these doors, lets go right now. Kevin, he’s a f*cking *****.”
Sean Strickland is the worst.

…I’d happily root for Izzy to leave him frozen like Elsa.

Izzy has the right to be cocky, he's the 2nd greatest MW of all time and he still has time left to build he legacy.

But yeah he does have cringe lines for sure :lol:

This conversation got me thinking. I can name a list of fighters I like to watch fight bc they are just awesome to watch fight but I can't really think of anyone I'm a huge fan of bc of their personality or bc they seem like a great dude. Most of these fighters are corny or just not great people. I try to not think about that part so I can just enjoy watching these meatheads fight.

Mistakenly accusing Izzy for being a homophobe is funny as ****. The irony, as there probably isn’t an athlete on the roster who receives more homophobic abuse online.

I don’t mind Izzy’s cringe behavior. In that regard, he’s so unapologetically himself, I kind of have to respect it. :lol:

I also think labeling him cocky is misguided. He obviously has supreme self confidence but if you pay attention his respect for his opponents and for martial arts is just as high as his belief in self.

It’s the fight game. Fighters are gonna trump up behavior to sell fights and they’re going to lose themselves in moments of pure adrenaline immediately after a win, but look at how Izzy carries himself in the ring post fight, go back and listen to what he said to Pereira in the ring after the loss, listen to his post fight press conferences. He always shows high levels of respect and humility when it’s most important.

Love him or hate he’s an all time great fighter and a complex and interesting character and the sport is better for it.

Mistakenly accusing Izzy for being a homophobe is funny as ****. The irony, as there probably isn’t an athlete on the roster who receives more homophobic abuse online.

I don’t mind Izzy’s cringe behavior. In that regard, he’s so unapologetically himself, I kind of have to respect it. :lol:

I also think labeling him cocky is misguided. He obviously has supreme self confidence but if you pay attention his respect for his opponents and for martial arts is just as high as his belief in self.

It’s the fight game. Fighters are gonna trump behavior to sell fights and they’re going to lose themselves in moments of pure adrenaline immediately after a win, but look at how Izzy carries himself in the ring post fight, go back and listen to what he said to Pereira in the ring after the lost, listen to his post fight press conferences. He always shows high levels of respect and humility when it’s most important.

Love him or hate he’s all time great fighter and a complex and interesting character and the sport is better for it.
I'll give Davey the benefit of the doubt here but everything else I agree with 100%

Izzy pays his due respect to all the other athletes

I mean just him approaching Pereiras team and giving his respect to them in the back after the fight, telling him he's a great champion just shows who he is.

I'm not going to hold you for anything you do in the cage right after a big KO because I know the adrenaline and energy is flowing hard at that moment... unless your Tito Ortiz's dumb *** and celebrate by grave digging on a 50 year old chuck who you couldn't touch in his prime.

I don’t mind cocky.

But doing things like humping your opponent after a win or making crude remarks that could justifiably be construed as homophobic is something else.

…the guy just rubs me the wrong way.
Sometimes you can do too much. Like your posts border on Sean Strickland level cringe. You clearly have a schtick on this message board. Not hating. Maybe it’s a way to entertain. Sadly, a lot of these MMA fighters are attempting to trash talk and hype a fight. Entertain. They don’t quite have the art like pre Mayweather Conor (who could definitely cross the line) or Chael.

Most of these guys are terrible. It’s not like they’re going to the WWE performance center and learning how to cut a promo.

I used to like Izzy’s trash talk but even he became a meat head. I’d never accuse him of being homophobic.
The nicest guy that I like watching his fight was Anthony "Rumble" Johnson. (RIP)
Like Vince said, he definitely had his demons and runs in with the law for domestic violence, etc.

He was one of the greatest knock out artists in the UFC. And many fighters had nothing but great things to say about him.

Someone made a comment about the UFC President. There are a lot men and women who are taking advantage of their gifts/skills and the fact the combat sports industry allows just about anyone to compete. Many aren’t going to have PHDs, speak proper English or craft witty or intelligent ways to talk smack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom