The Myth Of the Black Middle Class : Umar Johnson (Video)

Didnt watch this BS.

Im from PG County, MD.

The Black middle/upper-middle class is real.

Don't believe the negativity, yall.

Where i live is all Black doctors and lawyers and whatnot including blue collar people and small business owners.

We need to get all that Black=poverty BS out of our consciousness.

Last edited:
Didnt watch this BS.

Im from PG County, MD.

Where i live is all Black doctors and lawyers and whatnot including blue collar people and small business owners.

We need to get all that Black=poverty BS out of iur consciousness.

I agree. That's why all I said was cash flow. My parents alone belong to this group. You have haves and have nots within any group.

Last edited:
Didnt watch this BS.

Im from PG County, MD.

We need to get all that Black=poverty BS out of iur consciousness.
True.

My life is easily categorized as middle class as well.

Further proof.

Last edited:
I wish people could get past a person's skin color.

We are all the same, some are blessed, some work hard, some get handouts, we all die a some point in time.

Btw I come from a "middle class family" and am black last time I checked.

:lol: @ the random pic of the vietnamese lady at the nailshop in the middle of this white vs black subject.

middle class is real, i think he was trying to use it as an example to demonstrate the financial illiteracy many minorities lack, very great video,

Im from PG County, MD.

That's the first thing I thought of and thought about when I read the thread title.  I"m not going to say all of talking points Umar Johnson spoke about weren't accurate, because some of his points were.  However, the majority of what he spoke about was not true for me or the environment that I live in.  Mainly because PG county (the northern portion) is definitely the exception to this rule.  

These black race thread are getting a bit annonying not because there being posting but because the all overlap each other and can be in one thread. I'm all for information on this topic and topics like it but the same NTerare debating each other and getting nowhere. It's not even a conversation. Good luck with this thread OP because the outcome will be the same.

Didnt watch this BS.

Im from PG County, MD.

So a Black Doctor and Lawyer is middle class?

Than the Black Middle Class doesnt exist. I have one friend whos parent is a doctor and I have 0 friends who have parents as lawyers. My friend you could say is grew up middle class but compared to the rest of the black children he would be in the top 1% in our area. A lot of the kids I grew up with (and I lived in the suburbs from 4-12) had single parents and were worse off than my family (I have 2 parents in my household). There may be some black families that would be considered Middle class but compared to the rest of the population they are outliers and most would require 2 family household which is rare in the Black Community compared to the rest of the US.

Im from Florida which is technically the south so my viewpoints may be skewed but the middle of the black community where i live statistic wise would be considered under middle class.

I know some begin behind the 8 ball but I personally believe people are scared to change their status. Take a few chances in life. Learn from your mistakes and learn from others. If you want more money buy the Wall Street Journal instead of Sports Illustrated. People get caught in their habits. In the end though just do what you must to be happy.

lol@white middle class living off residual income...

dude dropped economics in favor of sociology in college

For those that said the Middle Class exists, his point was the black middle class is simply a situation where blacks make more money than poor black men. Outside of that, his point was there aren't any difference between the two.

He said that middle class should be based on wealth and not simply income.

It is worth listening to for those that didn't.

Didnt watch this BS.

Im from PG County, MD.

So a Black Doctor and Lawyer is middle class?

Than the Black Middle Class doesnt exist. I have one friend whos parent is a doctor and I have 0 friends who have parents as lawyers. My friend you could say is grew up middle class but compared to the rest of the black children he would be in the top 1% in our area. A lot of the kids I grew up with (and I lived in the suburbs from 4-12) had single parents and were worse off than my family (I have 2 parents in my household). There may be some black families that would be considered Middle class but compared to the rest of the population they are outliers and most would require 2 family household which is rare in the Black Community compared to the rest of the US.

Im from Florida which is technically the south so my viewpoints may be skewed but the middle of the black community where i live statistic wise would be considered under middle class.

depending on their practice a doctor makes anywhere from $230k-500k+

Mt sister is a engineering project manager at tmobile making around 200k.... she is middle class

you think the words "lawyer" and "doctor" matter? i base middle class off of income...80k-300k depending on how many kids you have.

Last edited:
For those that said the Middle Class exists, his point was the black middle class is simply a situation where blacks make more money than poor black men. Outside of that, his point was there aren't any difference between the two.

but his definition of middle class would rule out many white "middle class" too....

the suburbs are not filled with white people who hold wealth and residual income....

Last edited:

The Black middle class DOES exist.... The problem is overspending and conspicuous consumption.

Mt sister is a engineering project manager at tmobile making around 200k.... she is middle class

you think the words "lawyer" and "doctor" matter? i base middle class off of income...80k-300k depending on how many kids you have.

Where does your sister live? In Florida communities the average HOUSEHOLD income is no where even close to 80k in the better suburbs. Eatonville which is histroically the first black city has an average household income of 22k. Where I was raised the average household income of the city is around 45k. In the more popular/better suburbs its around 65k. 200k a year would be enough to be considered way above middle class if the person played their cards right. You could pay of your home, have savings, and retirement laid out easily.

And the reality is even if a black person was to make money to be considered middle class that would be not enough to change their community they are from. I have an uncle who is approaching making 100k but becuase of where he is from and his history he hangs out with people who may make 40k. Blacks who are established in a community usually do not like leaving the community even if there is better out there.

Last edited:

Where does your sister live? In Florida communities the average HOUSEHOLD income is no where even close to 80k in the better suburbs. Eatonville which is histroically the first black city has an average household income of 22k. Where I was raised the average household income of the city is around 45k. In the more popular/better suburbs its around 65k. 200k a year would be enough to be considered way above middle class if the person played their cards right. You could pay of your home, have savings, and retirement laid out easily.

And the reality is even if a black person was to make money to be considered middle class that would be not enough to change their community they are from. I have an uncle who is approaching making 100k but becuase of where he is from and his history he hangs out with people who may make 40k. Blacks who are established in a community usually do not like leaving the community even if there is better out there.

middle class areas in socal must be different than middle class in florida maybe?

Didnt watch this BS.

Im from PG County, MD.

starts with some of the middle/upper class not trying to act like/ rep the hood tho ...word to alotta ppl in PG county :lol:

Back
Top Bottom