The N Word & Non Black POC (People of color)

I'm not going to pretend I never use the word I do but as a father now I try to use profanity less in general kids catch everything.

I don't have problem with Spanish or Arab cats using it.

I don't let white people use it around me (boy this makes some white cats SOOO MAD) it just ain't rockin.
spanish people are white

spanish people are white

Ummmmm no !
Eh...some latinos are mestizo, some are part black and deny, some are part or full black and accept it, some are just plain white...unless they black I'm not for it tho I understand that especially in the NYC area latins been getting the pass to say it for so long its impossible to change it now.

Last edited:
Cmon I really have to explain that I'm not talking about white guys from Spain?

I'm talking Puerto Ricans Dominicans Cubans people who grow up in the same areas as blacks not ******* Pau Gasol he's clearly a white guy.

And I've never actually heard an Arab person use it but if one of the dudes in the local store said it I wouldn't be offended.

Over the weekend, my job had karaoke night for the patients. I'd say the population is about 97% white. So many were selecting songs with heavy usage of N_. One person chose YG's My N_. I've never cringed so much.

I wouldn't fight someone for saying it but I'd let them know to chill. As for white people who choose to say it and refuse to stop, I feel like they're the ones who find the "urban" culture cool and it makes them a part of something. Why else would they fight so hard to use it.

That's another thing lmao, as a straight man i never use "pause" "ayo" or "no ____" because i don't have intentions of my statement arousing the same sex. I feel like if you can dissect some fictitious homosexual innuendo from my statement then you need to find out who you are lmao. (Not sending shots to anyone homosexual or use ayo a lot lol)

Doubt it.

I just never got into using ayo lol, like why should i say no h**o before i eat a hotdog at a cookout lol, like i just can't catch on to it. It's childish to say.

I'd say just hit him with knowledge and drive it home.

ayo?
Son.....
roll.gif

I just never got into using ayo lol, like why should i say no h**o before i eat a hotdog at a cookout lol, like i just can't catch on to it. It's childish to say.
Another extreme situation used on NT. Who the hell says "pause" before eating a hotdog? Stop it.

I'm pretty much at a point where I'm going to begin checking anyone who isn't black using the word. If you don't know what it means to go through the world as a black person particularly a black male, don't say it.

It really hit me the other day when this girl from Pakistan (who was at my Rican friend's house) was using it (of course in the way I would), but I was thinking in my head that "if I dated you, you might not even be able to bring me home to your father."

Even some Hispanics using the word is beginning to rub me the wrong way. I was at my Rican friend's house not too long ago at like 11:30 at night. He has two grandmothers there in which I have met both of them, but his father's mother was only once years ago. His mom's mother I've actually had extensive interaction with over the years, but it had been a while (think 9, 10 years maybe) since I had seen her.

I was walking into the bathroom and his father's mother was walking out of my friend's lil brother's room that are in the same hallway. Mind you there were maybe 7, 8 other people at the house that were friends of the lil brother. It was a lil dark, and I'm like 6'0 with long, thick dreads lls so I can unfortunately very well see how or why she may have been frightened. She said something in Spanish, in which I could tell probably wasn't the most pleasant ish.

His mother's mom then comes to me (after the other grandma had said something to her) when I'm on the stairs now talking to my friend's lil bro and his friends and asks me who I'm here for and that it's too late to be here......

The lil brother is telling his grandma that I'm his brother's good friend and that we're family and have been. They've gone on trips with my fam, I've been knowing them since I've been in elementary school. His mother is always talking great about me and how I need to hang with my friend more to be a positive influence on him, etc.

Maybe about 20, 30 min later she comes back down apologizing and saying "oh she forgot who I was" etc.

But in other words, I know what you think of me and people who look like me. None of yall have the right to say the N word and I think that's where my stance is going to be. Only thing is, while I don't think many ppl would step to me fight me over my disapproval of them using it.....policing non-black ppl on using the word that they've freely been able to use for years seems like a tall order that doesn't really have an end. Would it even be possible, or it's just something that you have to roll with?

And the irony is that same night the lil brother's white friend who was there said it by me, but I don't think he realized (when you get so used to saying it). I asked him what he said and he was repeating everything but the word lls. I said you said N right, and to give me one good reason why I shouldn't knock his head off. His friends and my friend's lil bro were just silent. Then he went into the whole "oh yea, but he grew up around all black people and none of them have an issue, etc." I told him if I ever hear him say it again or even hear that he's said it, I'm wrecking him. He apologized and what not. But he's comfortable saying it because Ricans allow him to say it? Non-black people don't have that authority to say or allow others to say it. I just don't know how to realistically handle it each and every time.

Crazy thing is the next day, my WHOLE family pretty much went to their house to eat for some lil celebration and when the grandma's had seen that I'm sure they both felt like ish.

P.S.-The lil brother is like 19,20 in case anyone thought I was bullying lil kids and **** lol.

This is the type of thread that I would bump but yall would end up crying saying, "Make a new thread." Why when this thread comes up every 8 months?

My Asian roommate used to say it extensively before we became roommates. I know because of his music choices, clothing, culture he emulates, and the discussion we had on the topic.

My other black roommate asked me why I had a problem with my Asian roommate saying the word, if I say it. I wasn't surprised at his statement, but it's funny that me being from the midwest and him being from the south, I've schooled him on a lot of black issues in America. I also have a certificate in African American studies.

My stance was, I say it to and only around black people, and black people I know are comfortable with that word.
When others get into my car, the initial question I ask them is does the n-word offend them in music? I listen to other music, it doesn't have to be rap we ride around to.

I explained, my Asian roommate does not/will not/ and doesn't want to know what it's like to walk outside and be judged and perceived as a "N-R".
You don't know what it's like to be pulled over and with instinct, roll your windows down and stretch your hands out of the car. Or be asked to step out of the car and searched on suspicion. Followed through stores because you may steal, or have purses clutched when you walk by.

Be seen as uneducated, I hold one bachelors in business marketing degree, an african american studies certificate and will receive my masters of fine art in the fall.

You've never been in a private elementary school, k-8 and been the one of three blacks, and dealt with kids saying "N-R" before you even fully understood what the word meant.
Knowing that you can't and never will walk in my shoes makes you unable to use the word around me. I can't control what you do on your own time, but in my presence it ain't flying.

I think too often, other races see the N-word as the coolest portion of our culture, but since schools don't teach enough about black/white relations in America, and when they do, it's sugar coated. Other races don't understand the history that we as blacks get taught in our home. They just see the word "N-A" as something cool to say to friends.

YG "My N, My N" is such a hard thing to swallow, on one hand, i like the song. On the other, I cringe if it's played in mixed company. Now that I've gotten older, I hate hearing the N-word in mixed company. It stands out so much.

This of course, is un-policable at hip hop concerts, that's an L you just gotta take.

Last edited:
IMO a big issue we have is certain rapper sand entertainers openly encouraging nonblack people to say it. Tyler the Creator and Schoolboy Q do this a lot,there's a HOT97 interview where Tyler says he wants Rosenberg to say it because people who are offended by it keep racism alive...which is patently BS.

I was at a Schoolboy Q concert and there were tons of nonblacks around me saying it in concert with the performance. Then I saw an interview where he says 'its 2014, I don't care if you say it...'

As black people we have to be more open and unafraid about checking people who've been enabled by rappers and Toms to think they can use it freely around us.

Last edited:
IMO a big issue we have is certain rapper sand entertainers openly encouraging nonblack people to say it. Tyler the Creator and Schoolboy Q do this a lot,there's a HOT97 interview where Tyler says he wants Rosenberg to say it because people who are offended by it keep racism alive...which is patently BS.

I was at a Schoolboy Q concert and there were tons of nonblacks around me saying it in concert with the performance. Then I saw an interview where he says 'its 2014, I don't care if you say it...'

As black people we have to be more open and unafraid about checking people who've been enabled by rappers and Toms to think they can use it freely around us.

This line of thinking is just wild to me.
I've been in a couple situations where I had to check a couple people, but never took it to the hands...

IMO if you're not black just dont say it... I barely say it myself, so other people have no reason to... I just don't understand why it's so hard.

i really hope no ones putting hands on people over the word.

not because I agree with the word but because I don't want to see anyone catch a case over something rediculous and unnecessary like that.   if some dude wants to be a moron and say it and you put hands on them and they press assault charges, police or a court aren't trying to hear no term or endearment talk and your just going to find yourself in unnecessary hot water.  if your not cool with someone saying it and they continue to say it, just don't associate with them or hang around them.  

i really hope no ones putting hands on people over the word.

not because I agree with the word but because I don't want to see anyone catch a case over something rediculous and unnecessary like that.   if some dude wants to be a moron and say it and you put hands on them and they press assault charges, police or a court aren't trying to hear no term or endearment talk and your just going to find yourself in unnecessary hot water.  if your not cool with someone saying it and they continue to say it, just don't associate with them or hang around them.  

if its a friend or someone you know of course you just cut em off

but I'm not getting disrespected out here

say what you want but words can get you punched in the mouth and rightfully so IMO

people shouldn't be allowed to just bump off at the mouth with no consequences

I treat folks with respect everywhere I go expect the same or be ready for things to go left

My Asian roommate used to say it extensively before we became roommates. I know because of his music choices, clothing, culture he emulates, and the discussion we had on the topic.

My other black roommate asked me why I had a problem with my Asian roommate saying the word, if I say it. I wasn't surprised at his statement, but it's funny that me being from the midwest and him being from the south, I've schooled him on a lot of black issues in America. I also have a certificate in African American studies.

My stance was, I say it to and only around black people, and black people I know are comfortable with that word.
When others get into my car, the initial question I ask them is does the n-word offend them in music? I listen to other music, it doesn't have to be rap we ride around to.

I explained, my Asian roommate does not/will not/ and doesn't want to know what it's like to walk outside and be judged and perceived as a "N-R".
You don't know what it's like to be pulled over and with instinct, roll your windows down and stretch your hands out of the car. Or be asked to step out of the car and searched on suspicion. Followed through stores because you may steal, or have purses clutched when you walk by.

Be seen as uneducated, I hold one bachelors in business marketing degree, an african american studies certificate and will receive my masters of fine art in the fall.

You've never been in a private elementary school, k-8 and been the one of three blacks, and dealt with kids saying "N-R" before you even fully understood what the word meant.
Knowing that you can't and never will walk in my shoes makes you unable to use the word around me. I can't control what you do on your own time, but in my presence it ain't flying.

I think too often, other races see the N-word as the coolest portion of our culture, but since schools don't teach enough about black/white relations in America, and when they do, it's sugar coated. Other races don't understand the history that we as blacks get taught in our home. They just see the word "N-A" as something cool to say to friends.

YG "My N, My N" is such a hard thing to swallow, on one hand, i like the song. On the other, I cringe if it's played in mixed company. Now that I've gotten older, I hate hearing the N-word in mixed company. It stands out so much.

This of course, is un-policable at hip hop concerts, that's an L you just gotta take.
dude i dont know about having a degree that separates you from anyone else, but I have the same feel. I got an AA at a junior college and barber license, so i use to listen to songs in the barber shop and when white dudes, and asians were in the shop I would pray the song was edited. just for comfort of everyone.

but on a side note, i have met wwhite dudes from DC, and Chicago, also Asians that grew up in the southend & i swear they are more black thru and thru than some blacks i know. 
Like these dudes would be offended if a preppy black guy said it around them..smh. 

Back
Top Bottom