The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by TheGreatPoohdini

are offense is going to be crap once BG leaves......

our offense already is crap
Why our you correcting his grammar?

I wasn't
I was just stating that our offense is already a joke...I can't see how losing BG makes it that much worse

Tue 18 @ LA Lakers
Wed 19 @ Portland
Fri 21 @ Golden State
Sun 23 @ Denver
Mon 24 @ Utah
Wed 26 @ San Antonio

we got a decent number of national games despite our record. im sure the addition of Rose has something to do with that. like the couple games with the heatand beasley.

friday, october 3rd at 10am....anyone else going? Im wondering what time I should leave for that because I always see the line goes around the UC that day....

also...

ickets on sale Sat. Aug. 23 at 10 a.m. for Bulls and Jazz match-up
Illini great Deron Williams returns to Assembly Hall to face Bulls

[table][tr][td]
williams_080721.jpg
October 17 will be the first time Williams has played at the Assembly Hall since leading the Fighting Illini to the 2005 Final Four.
(Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
[/td] [/tr][/table]
  • Love It Live! Ticket and Arena Information
  • Get Bulls news first from mybulls
  • RSS news feed

University of Illinois star Deron Williams will return to Assembly Hall on Friday, October 17 at 7:30 p.m. for a Chicago Bulls versus Utah Jazz preseason game.

This will be the first time Williams has played at the Assembly Hall since leading the Fighting Illini to the 2005 Final Four.

Tickets for the Bulls and Jazz match-up will go on sale to the public on Saturday, August 23 at 10 a.m. at the Assembly Hall Box Office, online at www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling 217.333.5000.

Ticket prices for the Friday, October 17 game are $70, $60, $50, $35 and $25. The game is sponsored in part by 1400-WDWS, The News Gazette and Lite Rock 97.5 FM.

^

I would love to see Deron at Champange

My brother is beginning his freshman year at U of I and he is going for sure

[h1]Former Husky Ben Gordon Giving Back In His Hometown[/h1] By DESMOND CONNER |Courant Staff Writer August 8, 2008
Ben Gordon is a quiet guy, but he's making a lot of noise in his hometown of Mount Vernon, N.Y., these days.

A key player on UConn's 2004 championship team and the Chicago Bulls' leading scorer last season (18.6), Gordon is scheduled to be at the Jim Calhoun Charity All-Star Basketball Game at Mohegan Sun Saturday night.

Then he'll host his his fourth annual Ben Gordon Weekend Aug. 14-16 in Mount Vernon that benefits his nonprofit Ben Gordon New Life Foundation. His former teammates Emeka Okafor and Charlie Villanueva are scheduled to attend.

Gordon's old high school, Mount Vernon, the one that allowed him a place to play, allowed him to win a state championship, the school that opened the door for him to get a scholarship, is in trouble.

[h4]Related links[/h4] Specifically, athletic funding at the school is in trouble, with the school board having cut the $950,000 needed to have sports in the coming school year. Gordon will lend a hand through his annual event, trying to help the Mount Vernon SOS (Save Our Sports) initiative.

"When I was going from eighth to ninth grade, I remember they were talking about doing the same thing, so it's something I can definitely relate to," Gordon said by phone this week. "We're hoping what happened then, happens now. Things got turned around and we wound up having sports. But at the time, I remember I had to think about going to another school.

"I was going to go to a school in the Bronx. I don't know how things would have turned out if I did, but I know I could have gone somewhere and maybe got off track, maybe not be where I am today, maybe not be as fortunate as I am.

"So it's always good to give back and help when you can, especially in this situation. I was always taught that when you're blessed, be a blessing to others."

Gordon, 25, will be around a lot of blessed people Saturday at the Calhoun charity game.

"It's always been a great experience for me to go back, see all the guys you grew up watching and the guys you played with all in the same arena on the same night," Gordon said. "It's a special time. It's a time for us to catch up; a lot of memories are shared. We talk about what's going on in each other's lives and stuff. But then seeing Coach is always great ... You know, Coach has been so instrumental in my career."

That career finds Gordon still a member of the Bulls - as of now. He's a restricted free agent. Gordon said negotiations are at a stalemate with the Bulls, and he doesn't know if he'll be back in Chicago for a fifth season.

"Right now, honestly, it doesn't look like it," Gordon said. "I think a decision is going to be made soon. ... I've had a great time here. I was fortunate enough to play on a team that made the playoffs; I led the team in scoring three of the four seasons I've been here. It's been a good experience, but we haven't been able to come to any common ground. It's just part of the business. You have to do what you have to do sometimes."

Off the court, that means coming through big on next weekend's event, hosted by Mayor Clinton I. Young Jr. It kicks off with a youth festival at Mount Vernon City Hall and a basketball clinic at a nearby 20,000-square-foot venue, Hooperstown.

Then there's the Bowling Bash on Saturday and Ben Gordon Family Day at Hartley Park in Mount Vernon. The event is free and will include two basketball clinics, autograph sessions and other activities.

The bowling event will serve as a benefit for the Mount Vernon SOS, which is raising private funds. Gordon said at least 50 percent of the proceeds will go to that cause. Some will go to Gordon's nonprofit organization to help youth in the city.

The Bowling Bash, which will be held at Homefield Bowl in Yonkers, is becoming more star-studded by the day. Eddy Curry and Quentin Richardson are attending, retired NBA player Eric Murdock is coming, as is Elton Brand from nearby Peekskill. Jamie Hector from the HBO series "The Wire" is coming. So are rapper-turned-actor Dwight "Heavy D" Myers, a Mount Vernon product, and New York radio personalities Ed Lover and Curt Flirt. Former WNBA player Kym Hampton, now a jazz singer, is scheduled to perform.

"It's a nice group," Gordon said. "I'm glad they're all coming out to help. We're going to need help, need everybody, so this is good."
\http://www.courant.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sports/hc-gordon0808.artaug08,0,2008833.story

[h1]ON THE VERGE: DERRICK ROSE[/h1]Last week, we rolled out Episode 1 of On the Verge, a recurring web piece where Chris Broussardspeaks to 2008 NBA rookies. Watch Michael Beasley and Chris right here. Here now:the only man who can say he was drafted ahead of Beasley, Mr. Derrick Rose. Some key elements here: dude loves candy, isn't a very goodbowler, can hardly step outside in Chicago without being mobbed, and almost can't speak when asked to pick the best MJ team of all-time. Enjoy.

video..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3546165

He has switched from Twizzlers to Cupkcakes and he can't name the greatest Bulls Championship team.
laugh.gif

[h2]Blazers offer Outlaw to Bulls[/h2]
The Portland Trail Blazers are in an intense search to find a point guard, and they're interested in one on the Chicago Bulls. The Blazers have offered Forward Travis Outlaw and Center Joel Przybilla to Bulls in exchange for Kirk Hinrich and possibly a future draft pick. The Bulls are mildly interested in the deal, but are still reluctant to trade Hinrich. The Bulls are trying to see if the Blazers have any interest in Ben Gordon instead, that of course if Gordon is interested in accepting a deal to go to the Blazers. Outlaw, a five year veteran, averaged 13.3 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season. Przybilla, an eight year veteran, averaged 4.8 points and 8.4 rebounds per game last season.

This is the same guy who broke the Wallace-Hughes deal 2 months in advance. I personally would do it in a heartbeat.
http://http://www.rumorpress.net/

^ same here man..

minor news..

[h3]http://www.rumorpress.net/?cat=3[/h3]
[h3]Rumors[/h3] [h2]Bulls Might Contact Othella Harrington[/h2]
09.01.08 | 4 Comments

In minor news, the Chicago Bulls may contact Othella Harrington about the possibility of
returning to the team. Harrington was a key member of the Bulls playoff teams in the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons. The Bulls feel Harrington could bring some much needed experience and veteran leadership to the very young squad. Harrington was considered a good teammate and positive influence during his time with Chicago. The only question is, does the 34 year old Power Forward have anything left in the tank? Last season in just 22 games he averaged only 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. He may be brought in just to be a mentor to the young big men on the team. The Bulls may bring him in for a work out and go from there.

some sound bites of Bulls head coach Vinny Del Negro, forward Tyrus Thomas and guard Derrick Rose

CHISHOLM: WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES FOR BULLS
TIM CHISHOLM
9/6/2008 9:53:58 AM

A year ago, the Chicago Bulls were the darlings of the Eastern Conference. Today, they are a team most predict to finish outside of the post-season for a second straight season.

They have a high-priced but unimpressive roster. They are locked in a stalemate with restricted free agent Ben Gordon over contract terms (he insists he's played his last game for Chicago). They've hired a head coach with zero previous experience and still don't have the low-post scorer they've needed since trading Eddy Curry to New York. Things could be better in the Windy City.

Last December, head coach Scott Skiles took the hit for the misdeeds of Bulls' architect John Paxson. The team had been ill-conceived and poorly managed, stocked with duplicate backcourt players and an overpaid Ben Wallace. Yet, Skiles had managed to turn the team into a playoff contender the previous three seasons.

However, when contract snafus with Luol Deng and Ben Gordon made a distraction at training camp and persistent Kobe Bryant trade rumors haunted the first part of the last regular season, the team lost its way. Skiles was then shown the door, the Bulls made a knee-jerk trade to acquire Drew Gooden and Larry Hughes and they finished the campaign nine games below .500.

Their sole consolation? Their unexpectedly lackluster season nabbed them the number one overall selection in June's NBA Draft, where they selected Memphis point guard Derrick Rose over Kansas State's Michael Beasley.

Now, empirically this is a solid pick that will begin to dividends almost immediately, but it certainly doesn't stand to improve the team's fortunes this season, nor does it ease the logjam in the backcourt for this team that already has high-ticket guards like Hughes and Kirk Hinrich. Should the team eventually come to terms with Ben Gordon, that would leave them with four players all demanding real minutes (and touches) that simply won't be there.

Their best-case scenario is to find a trading partner for Gordon, but he hasn't helped his stock much this summer with his outrageous salary demands nor with his persistent moaning about playing time. While certainly there are teams out there who would like to have him come off of their bench, his insistence on starting makes the list of teams interested in paying for his services far shorter.

Even still, if they do manage to find a new home for Gordon or not, their backcourt is still not only crowded but undersized. Rose is a virtual lock to open the season as point guard, and Paxson has insisted that he likes the idea of pairing him with Hinrich in the backcourt like the team used to do with he and Duhon. This, though, gives the team two 6' 3" guards in the backcourt, with Hughes as their 6'5" backup. When the team is tasked with facing Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant or Vince Carter they are going to have a hard time slowing them down at the shooting guard position.

This didn't used to be such a problem when defensive-minded player like Tyson Chandler, Antonio Davis, P.J. Brown and Ben Wallace used to patrol the backline of the defense, but Joakim Noah and Drew Gooden don't exactly inspire the same kind of confidence.

In fact, it's hard to say that much of this roster inspires confidence. Outside of Rose and, if he can regain his form, Luol Deng, this team is stocked full of 'so-what' players who have what it takes to be useful on various other teams but tossed together don't merit much hope for the Bulls.

If this team is going to have any success, it's going to have to be because of masterful coaching. If only they had in their employ a coach known for getting teams to overachieve. Someone like Milwaukee's Scott Skiles, perhaps. Then there might be some reason for hope. Without him? Well, perhaps they can get lucky again and nab another first overall pick.

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUP

PG - Derrick Rose
There is a chance, slim though it may be, that Rose could have the kind of first-year impact of recent MVP runner-up Chris Paul. In Paul's first year, he got an underwhelming Hornets team within sniffing distance of the post-season in the Western Conference. He united a mish-mash of players and made them a team. However, he had head coach Byron Scott to lean on; Rose has Vinny Del Negro. What Rose does have is plenty of hype surrounding his inaugural season. To the people who are expecting him to come onto the scene and be the next great NBA point guard; prepare to have your expectations lowered. While Rose is oozing with talent, he certainly isn't surrounded by any. When this roster starts looking like it could be competitive in the Association again, then we'll get to see what Rose is really capable of. Right now, keeping this team out of the cellar will be success enough for his rookie year.

SG - Kirk Hinrich
One of the saddest reasons that Skiles was shown the door last December was that he 'got' this roster. When everyone (this writer included) was hailing Chicago's point guard of the future in Hinrich, Skiles was keeping Hinrich as a shooting guard. He knew that Hinrich wasn't ready to be an NBA point guard, just like he knew Gordon wasn't cut out to be a starting two-guard. Hinrich has some point guard skills, but he's not a playmaker. He is an undersized off-guard with better-than-average point guard abilities. Last year, though, even his shooting abilities escaped him.His scoring and efficiency plummeted and his minutes were therefore slashed. Hinrich now looks poised to become just another 'almost was'. With Rose's arrival, his point guard duties will be spot-backup minutes at best. In fact, one of the best things that could happen for him would be to wind up on a team where his backcourt mate could do more of the ball-handling and playmaking duties as a shooting guard, allowing him to be a Derrick Fisher-type point man. Portland, Atlanta, Denver and Miami would all be places he'd fit better than Chicago. Whether or not he has enough value to get a team to chase him, though, remains to be seen.

SF - Luol Deng
Deng's fall may not have been as precipitous as Hinrich's last year, but it was nonetheless unsettling. After all, Paxson avoided making a Boston-esque move of exporting his youth for a more established All-Star because of his belief in Deng. He was supposed to emerge as Chicago's main cog, their impact player. While his game was statistically in line with his breakout campaign of 2006-2007, it lost much of its edge. He looked more like a blend player than a franchise guy. Like that of draft mate Andre Iguodala, this season is there for Deng to establish himself as an impact player. He'll be given every opportunity on a struggling team to re-establish his upward momentum. Should he appear to be no more than a Josh Howard, a solid player next to a superstar, then that is all well and good, the team will look to acquire one and his salary still wouldn't be too out of whack for his statistical production. However, it would be a crushing blow to a team that lost out on Bryant, Pau Gasol and Kevin Garnett in years gone by because of their insistence on developing their youth. Deng is their last hope for one of their young to justify that course of action, an unenviable situation to be in, to say the least.

PF - Drew Gooden
In Cleveland, Gooden had it made. He got to run with LeBron, didn't have to worry about post-scoring with Ilguaskus around and was an integral part of their run to the Finals two seasons ago. However, a bizarre trade (especially from the Bulls end) threw him onto a Chicago team that will expose his limitations and basically make life miserable for him until a) he is traded or b) his contract expires next summer. Gooden has always been a serviceable player, whether it be in Memphis, Orlando or Cleveland, but he's never been good enough to completely satisfy any of this former employers. In Chicago, he'll basically be tasked with being the lone low-post scorer, a role he is ill-equipped to fill, and will likely see his stock diminish going into free agency next summer. All that really means, though, is that some team is going to get a solid NBA player on the cheap twelve months from now. Hopefully Gooden hasn't lost all semblance of his passion for basketball by then.

C - Joakim Noah
Noah is a very intriguing player. As expected, he was a little bit of a fish out of water last season as he struggled to adapt to the NBA game and the NBA locker room. However, his production spiked in March and April when he averaged 10.0ppg, 7.4rpg and 1.2 blocks per game as a full-time starter after Ben Wallace was traded. Those numbers demonstratepromise for Noah in his second season with the Bulls as they hope that he can become the kind of player that Tyson Chandler developed into after he was traded to New Orleans. If he can provide the kind of hustle and intangibles that the team was looking for when they drafted him it could make a huge difference to the teams fortunes down the road. He and Rose would then make an interesting combo if Deng has a likewise resurgent year. Perhaps all hope is not lost in the house that Michael built.
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=248609

The Bulls are no longer interested in bringing in Harrington. John Paxson briefly toyed with the idea but the team is not interested and it appears Harrington will most likely retire. However, the Bulls still could be interested in bringing a veteran big man to the team that can contribute, but would like to solve the Ben Gordon issue first.

Originally Posted by KobeKid24

friday, october 3rd at 10am....anyone else going? Im wondering what time I should leave for that because I always see the line goes around the UC that day....

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
I'll be there...I got my 11 game package, but I want better seats for certain games (Cavs, Rockets, and Warriors to name a few)

Back
Top Bottom