*The Official 2008 NBA Finals Game 1 Post ~~ CELTICS vs LAKERS Vol. Stern got his way

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

cicco1212:
I'm sorry lakers fans, but Kobes gonna want another opt out.
If he gives us performances in the entire entire series like he gave us last night, then him opting out would be exactly what I want, just like I wanted it before.

From the tipoff to the final buzzer, he played like 'Yeah, we got this. No worries, no worries. We'll get this lead. Because we got this. Don't panic. I'm not panicking. Nobody panic. We got this.'

Ska I shortened your post, but I just wanted to highlight this part....

This season > One game.
IMO Boston is the type of team that thrives off this "sense of urgency" or emotion that you speak of...which is kinda why they play so wellat home.
Lakers more so are in that San Antonio mode where they don't really play off of emotion but rather execution. We all can agree that the Lakers as a teamdidn't execute on offense or defense last night.

Originally Posted by WILLINC

Will the mildest sprain leave your nee unstable? Absolutely. The knee is a very complicated joint, so I've been told. But will the mildest sprains leave your knee so unstable that you need to be helped to a wheelchair by 4 teammates, then wheelchaired away? Nope, a mild sprain won't typically do that.

Unless you're a weak, softie, drama queen from Los Angeles, in other words... a Los Angeles... Faker.

And I have sprained my knee.

Both of them.

To the point where I needed surgery.

And I've also torn BOTH of my ACLs.

So I know a little bit about pain caused by knee injuries. And the display that Pierce put on last night is VERY similar to the display I put on when I tore my right ACL... COMPLETELY. As in, take a thin piece of paper, and have that represent my ACL; now tear the piece of paper apart, from one side to the other. That was my right ACL, and I was treated nearly the same way Pierce was treated last night; I had to be carried off the field (we were playing sandlot football), and I had to be wheelchaired in to the doc's office, because I absolutely could NOT put any weight on it, and it hurt like HOLY FREAKING FIRE to even bend my knee a tiny, TINY bit.

Of course, the difference between me and Pierce is that I didn't skip back on to the field 5 minutes later like 'Alright guys, did we score? Let's win this bad boy.'
laugh.gif
DR. SKA coming through with the breakdown of injuries

eek.gif
laugh.gif

The thing is though, quick, name me any physician, doctor, anybody in the world, who could determine whether or not PP sprained, bruised, or tore hisknee up while he was down?

You can't. Because, nobody CAN make that assesment on the spot.

Again, the reason why he was carried and put on the wheelchair was for PRECAUTIONARY measures. Maybe he had a slight tear, and if they put weight on it,he'd do further damage. The point is, THEY DONT KNOW. Not for sure, anyway.

Plus, you're overlooking the fact that Michelle reported from the sidelines that PP DID want to see if he could put weight on it. But, the medical staffdidn't let him, and brought him back to the locker room for further evaluation.

It's not like PP laid on the ground with his hand under his head waiting for his teammates to pick him up to be put on a wheelchair, and then when on it,points to the lockerroom and gets pushed away.

It's obvious that the injury looked a lot worse than what it was, but to imply that from start to finish, PP somehow acted the whole ordeal, and as icingon the cake, came out Reed-like for dramatic effects, all within the span of like THREE minutes, is pretty naive.

Very naive, actually.

And honestly, if it was Leon Powe out there, I don't think he'd carried by his teammates like how PP did into the wheelchair.

PP is the heart and soul of the Celtics. Their leader.

Apparently, he doesn't want the MRI to show the extent of the damage.

I smell BS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3429427

Celtics claim Pierce's knee free of structural damage despite lack of MRI
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
(Archive)

BOSTON -- Paul Pierce does not have any structural damage to his knee.

At least that's what the Boston Celtics are saying, although they haven't performed an MRI to take a look at exactly how badly Pierce damaged his meniscus when he was injured during the third quarter of Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

"It still could be worse than I'm really putting off. I'm not planning on getting an MRI until after the season, so I mean, it could be bad, but right now I'm just getting treatments and see how I feel on Sunday," Pierce said Friday, adding that there's a "great chance" he'll play in Game 2 against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"It still could be worse than I'm really putting off," Paul Pierce said Friday while speaking to the media.
Pierce's injury took on a life of its own Friday, with Lakers coach Phil Jackson expressing further skepticism regarding the severity of the injury because of the speed with which Pierce returned after being carried off the court by teammates and transported in a wheelchair to the locker room.

Pierce said he still had some swelling and stiffness in his knee and would be undergoing treatment throughout the day and over the weekend.

"I can walk on it, I can bend it, but there's a little sharp pain on the inside of my knee," he said.

It was unclear why Pierce and/or the Celtics were resisting an MRI, which could definitively show whether Pierce tore either the medial or lateral meniscus in his right knee when he heard a popping sound as the injury happened. Calls to Pierce's agent, Jeff Schwartz, were not immediately returned.

"Well, I had two doctors look at it, and we did some tests on it, some standing lateral movements," Pierce said. "Regardless of the MRI at this point, I mean, what is it really going to tell us? The extent of the injury, but at this point with two weeks left, six games to go, we can figure this out after the season. Either I can play or I can't, regardless of what the MRI says."

The drama of Pierce's comeback spurred some commentators to compare it to Willis Reed's comeback from a serious hip injury in Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals. Jackson, who was a teammate of Reed's on that championship New York Knicks team, took issue with the Reed scenario being a valid comparison.

"If I'm not mistaken, I think Willis Reed missed a whole half and three quarters almost of a game and literally had to have a shot, a horse shot, three or four of them in his thigh to come back out and play," Jackson said. "Paul got carried off and was back on his feet in a minute.

"I don't know if the angels visited him . . . in that timeout period that he had or not, but he didn't even limp when he came back out on the floor. I don't know what was going on there. Was Oral Roberts back there in their locker room?" Jackson said, making a reference to the controversial American televangelist who preached the possibility of miracles.

Jackson's skepticism was relayed to Garnett, Pierce's best friend on the Celtics.

"It's not up to them to approve or disapprove or to judge," Garnett said. "The man got carried off the court. I mean, that's pretty significant. That's what it is. I don't know what they're doing over there. I'm focused on what we're doing over here. But he looked pretty hurt, came in and finished the game off. I know it don't look easy and he made it probably look a little easy, but at the same time, they wasn't over there seeing him grimacing, the massaging and on the bike and ice and that stuff. When you don't know what's going on on the other side, you just make up stuff."

Boston coach Doc Rivers also had a take on Jackson's skepticism:

"Oh, I don't care," he said. "Aren't we skeptics anyway now about everything? So what the heck; let it begin. Let it begin. Lee Harvey Oswald did it."

"I don't know if the angels visited him . . . in that timeout period that he had or not, but he didn't even limp when he came back out on the floor. I don't know what was going on there. Was Oral Roberts back there in their locker room?" Jackson said, making a reference to the controversial American televangelist who preached the possibility of miracles.

LOL! Classic Phil Jackson.

cicco1212:
I'm sorry lakers fans, but Kobes gonna want another opt out.
If he gives us performances in the entire entire series like he gave us last night, then him opting out would be exactly what I want, just like I wanted it before.

From the tipoff to the final buzzer, he played like 'Yeah, we got this. No worries, no worries. We'll get this lead. Because we got this. Don't panic. I'm not panicking. Nobody panic. We got this.'

indifferent.gif
mad.gif

No, fool, we don't 'got this'. Get out there and hustle your freaking tail off like... I don't know... Garnett, maybe? Or like... freaking Paul Pierce. Or maybe... Ray Allen?!

Garnett played intense the ENTIRE game. His team won.

Pierce hit the deck going after loose balls TWICE. Forget the injury/non-injury/whatever you want to call it. Forget that. He was still hustling after loose balls, hitting the deck, getting offensive rebounds, etc. His team won.

Allen was fighting through the pesky defense of Sasha PERFECTLY, as well as going after every loose ball around him. His team won.

Not ONE of those three was like 'Enh, so what. Just because it's the Finals doesn't mean anything. I'm still not going to panic. We got this. Don't panic, guys. We got this. It's just a basketball game. And we got this.' NOT ONE OF THOSE THREE PLAYED LIKE THAT. And their team won.

Forget this freaking stupid, worthless attitude of 'Yeah, we got this. I'm not worried. Because we got this.'

Man THROW THAT OUT THE WINDOW. You WIN by saying 'Let's GET this,' not 'We GOT this.'

indifferent.gif
mad.gif

And no, it's not about going 'Oh my gosh, what are we going to do? What am I going to do? It's the FINALS!! AAAAARRGHH!! I'm so nervous. I hope I don't screw up! Oh no, they stole it from me! We're going to lose the FINALS! What do I do??!'

It's about having an urgent attitude of 'Let's GET this,' not a calm, lackadaisical attitude of 'Yeah, we got this.'

HUH?

franchise3:
Again, the reason why he was carried and put on the wheelchair was for PRECAUTIONARY measures. Maybe he had a slight tear, and if they put weight on it, he'd do further damage. The point is, THEY DONT KNOW. Not for sure, anyway.

Plus, you're overlooking the fact that Michelle reported from the sidelines that PP DID want to see if he could put weight on it. But, the medical staff didn't let him, and brought him back to the locker room for further evaluation.

It's not like PP laid on the ground with his hand under his head waiting for his teammates to pick him up to be put on a wheelchair, and then when on it, points to the lockerroom and gets pushed away.

It's obvious that the injury looked a lot worse than what it was, but to imply that from start to finish, PP somehow acted the whole ordeal, and as icing on the cake, came out Reed-like for dramatic effects, all within the span of like THREE minutes, is pretty naive.

Very naive, actually.

And honestly, if it was Leon Powe out there, I don't think he'd carried by his teammates like how PP did into the wheelchair.

Reason with me here for a second, because I'm going to exaggerate to make a point.

Your favorite player (whoever it is) gets SLIGHTLY grazed on his shooting arm, then he immediately tucks his arm into his body, winces over like he is inEXCRUCIATING pain, falls to the floor, kicks and starts SCREAMING out, obviously in pain. The ENTIRE arena is silent, nad we're watching replays on t.v. Wecan see that his arm was barely, BARELY even touched. Replay CLEARLY shows it. ANyways, he's taken back in the tunnel, to the medical room, where immediateX-Rays and MRIs are done. The -ray results are negative. All bones appear... perfectly fine. After 30 seconds of having a good massage, he runs out of thetunnel with his arms UP IN THE AIR... including the arm that he was tucking into his body before... and he makes EVERY SHOT in the game that he takes from thenon, going 14-14, with a couple threes and a few nice dunks. The next day, MRI results show absolutely no stress to his cartilage, his muscles, or anything.Bones are fine, muscles are fine, ligaments are fine, tendons are fine; everything's fine.

So in that situation, you would still say 'Hey, we don't know what was wrong with him when it first happened'? You would NOT just admit thatclearly, he was overdramatizing things at first?

By the way, who is your favorite player?

And no, I don't think they just automatically cart people off for precautionary reasons. They cart you out if they think you can't walk. Perkins wasinjured minutes later, and he wasn't carted back to the med room. He walked back, because he wasn't showing any signs that he couldn't walk.

It's a mental thing, IMO.

Dude played on it last night, and doesn't want to know the full scope of the injury, and lets it get to his head while he's on the floor.

Plus, this is the NBA Finals. As long as he can stand up and run around like he did last night, he's going to play regardless of what the MRI might reveal.

Or, I could be wrong.

Conspiracy theory Stern wanting the Celtics to win the chip - Check
Refs have an agenda against the Lake Show - Check
PP adding another conspiracy to the already big conspiracy theory by faking his injury - Check
Lakers going cold in the 4th quarter and the MVP having a very un-MVP like game - We'll get back to you

If it is really injured (ie torn ligament) then dude is going to end his career this series. If they win it he'll go down as a hero, Lakers cannot let thishappen!

The thing is though, quick, name me any physician, doctor, anybody in the world, who could determine whether or not PP sprained, bruised, or tore his knee up while he was down?

Again, the reason why he was carried and put on the wheelchair was for PRECAUTIONARY measures. Maybe he had a slight tear, and if they put weight on it, he'd do further damage. The point is, THEY DONT KNOW. Not for sure, anyway.

Plus, you're overlooking the fact that Michelle reported from the sidelines that PP DID want to see if he could put weight on it. But, the medical staff didn't let him, and brought him back to the locker room for further evaluation.

It's not like PP laid on the ground with his hand under his head waiting for his teammates to pick him up to be put on a wheelchair, and then when on it, points to the lockerroom and gets pushed away.

It's obvious that the injury looked a lot worse than what it was, but to imply that from start to finish, PP somehow acted the whole ordeal, and as icing on the cake, came out Reed-like for dramatic effects, all within the span of like THREE minutes, is pretty naive.

Very naive, actually.

No i agree with you, I guess my sarcasm did not display as intended in previous post.

laugh.gif

shouldnt they take these precautionary measures to make sure PP isn't going to worsen his condition. These PRECAUTIONARY measures that youkeep speakings of, where are they now? So PP doesnt want to know if his knee is @%++$* up? Have the freaken doctors keep the results away from him. There isno reason that they should forego getting an MRI. It doesnt even make sense

We played so horribly last night and still only lost by 10 with Kobe LO and Pau all having tough games
doyung9:
Only by 10 is a bigggggg margin in the NBA Finals.

No. Losing by 60 is a bigggggg margin. Losing by 10 isn't that bad, considering that we were down by 5 with 2 minutes left. And in today's NBA, the team with the lead at around the 40 second mark can go ahead and tack on a good 5 or 6 more points from the free throws they're going to get from intentional fouls to stop the clock.
no way is Kobe gona let us go back to LA without stealin one in boston..Lets get it!!!
doyung9:
This same guy you're saying won't let you go back to LA without stealing one, is the same guy who went GHOST last night in the 4th.

And that series is over? Or are they still playing games? I think they're still playing games. I don't know, though. Maybe they're done.
nerd.gif

Nope, not done. So... like he said... Kobe and the Lakers CAN still steal one in Boston, the next one, before returning to L.A. WILL it happen? Who knows? But can it happen? Yes, it can. That's all he was saying.
The layoff hurt us and helped them they were a wore out team that was rejuvenated by a long lay off and we were a team on a hot streak and was slowed down by the lay off. We played so horribly last night and still only lost by 10 with Kobe LO and Pau all having tough games. Their big 3 all hooped but we all know all 3 of them cant and wont be hot every game of a series. they were SUPPOSED to win, im not worried Phil is the King of adjustments and no way is Kobe gona let us go back to LA without stealin one in boston..Lets get it!!!
doyung9:
so are you Sasha Vujacic? Because certainly, judging by your us's and we's, you must be on the team correct?

#1. Sounds like you need to drop a line or two in here: "We" in Regards to Favorite Teams

#2. Tons of Boston fans are talking about the Celtics as 'we' and 'us' as well, so are you going to go get at them, too? Nope. I smell... another Laker hater.
laugh.gif

No, I think 'we' and 'us' is stupid because 90% of the time, it turns into 'they' and 'them' when the series ends in afavor other than how you had wished.

Originally Posted by WILLINC

The thing is though, quick, name me any physician, doctor, anybody in the world, who could determine whether or not PP sprained, bruised, or tore his knee up while he was down?

Very naive, actually.

No i agree with you, I guess my sarcasm did not display as intended.

laugh.gif

I just quoted your post to reply to ska since you had his post already quoted.
smile.gif

As for ska's response to my response
laugh.gif
, I don't know whatdirection you're really headed in, as, with PP, we don't know the severity of the injury, as, for better or for worse, an MRI has not been taken. Unless, and until he gets the MRI back that says, eh, you're 100% clear, then maybe I'll start seeing the way that you do. Until then, I'll haveto assume, going off everything I saw, that he DID get hurt. Definitely not as BAD as it initially looked, but, nevertheless he did get hurt. IMO, if dudereally faked it, I don't see why he would ride the bike when he wasn't in the game, 'just for show.' It just goes down a more slippery slope,and makes this dude PP look like an Acadamy Award winning actor. Dude's a genius plotting everything the way he did. Carried up, wheelchair, dramaticre-entrance, riding the bike on the sideline for good measure, just for show.

As for Perkins, that's an ankle injury. A world of difference between a potential knee injury that nobody knows anything about.

As for PP not getting the MRI, I posted why I THINK he didn't want to do it.

To play on a knee that has a tear or a sprain, might mess up your game mentally. You'd second guess taking a jump step and all sorts of stuff.

He could put weight on it, came back and played, and that's good enough for him.

Yeah, it's unorthodox that no MRI is taken, but, how bad an injury can it be if he dude came back and played like the way he did?

(Not as bad as it initially seemed, but definitely not bad enough to know the extent of the injury)

indifferent.gif
Get the $#!* outta here.

laugh.gif

*waits for Dr. 715 to chime in with his medical books*

*sighs*

why cant you laker fans let it go......

y cant you just be like ok boston won one...its gonna be a series....if you really think the celtics was gonna hand you the chip your dillusional....were notgonna go out like a bunch of lil girls...were the best team in the league for a reason......

Originally Posted by acidicality

indifferent.gif
Get the $#!* outta here.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

You're gonna be waiting a long time.

Dude got banned for getting into it with ska in the LAST 'fake' injury thread. The D-Wade one.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just like i said yeterday dude was not injured he was hurt "J ROSE", with his punk ##!!!!! 1st time i have ever agreed with skip
smh.gif
smh.gif
...... And Philis that dude!!!!

eek.gif
NT is full of doctors now.

Phil Jackson can be quite a
7d51574a69d6fbf7c66591dcde7fe1322df06d2.gif
at times. Someone needs toslap that
7d51574a69d6fbf7c66591dcde7fe1322df06d2.gif

As for not getting an MRI, it sounds like two doctors were fine with putting it off, but apparently a lot of NTers (who happen by complete coincidence to beLakers fans) have reached the decision that he needs the MRI or he's faking and there's no middle ground.

Oh yeah, I'm not comparing this to Willis Reed. Only the same sensationalist idiots who compared Kobe to Jordan are comparing this to Willis Reed.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by acidicality

indifferent.gif
Get the $#!* outta here.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

You're gonna be waiting a long time.

Dude got banned for getting into it with ska in the LAST 'fake' injury thread. The D-Wade one.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, I know. I'd like to see it again though
laugh.gif

As for not getting an MRI, it sounds like two doctors were fine with putting it off, but apparently a lot of NTers (who happen by complete coincidence to be Lakers fans) have reached the decision that he needs the MRI or he's faking and there's no middle ground.

I dont understand why they wouldnt get an MRI though. I went to three different doctors when I had a stress fracture and all three of themdiagnosed me not only differently, but wrong. It wasnt until I had the MRI that I actually found out that I had a stress fracture in my Fibula. I dontunderstand why these doctors would even take the risk.

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

As for not getting an MRI, it sounds like two doctors were fine with putting it off, but apparently a lot of NTers (who happen by complete coincidence to be Lakers fans) have reached the decision that he needs the MRI or he's faking and there's no middle ground.
I dont understand why they wouldnt get an MRI though. I went to three different doctors when I had a stress fracture and all three of them diagnosed me not only differently, but wrong. It wasnt until I had the MRI that I actually found out that I had a stress fracture in my Fibula. I dont understand why these doctors would even take the risk.

I agree... I would think they'd get one, especially considering the relative cost being low, but I can also see how they could conclude that the kneeis structurally fine and any info gained by an MRI would be of no use in the short term. Add this to Pierce being adamant about playing in his first finals andnot wanting to know of any bad news immediately and his ability to play through it in the fourth quarter and I can see a legitimate reason why they didn'tget one.

Doctors aren't always right, an MRI would confirm if his knee is ok or not. A doctor can manipulate the joint and give his medical opinion, but that'sit!

franchise3:
As for ska's response to my response
laugh.gif
, I don't know what direction you're really headed in
Then why don't you answer the questions?

Reason with me here for a second, because I'm going to exaggerate to make a point.

Your favorite player (whoever it is) gets SLIGHTLY grazed on his shooting arm, then he immediately tucks his arm into his body, winces over like he is inEXCRUCIATING pain, falls to the floor, kicks and starts SCREAMING out, obviously in pain. The ENTIRE arena is silent, nad we're watching replays on t.v. Wecan see that his arm was barely, BARELY even touched. Replay CLEARLY shows it. ANyways, he's taken back in the tunnel, to the medical room, where immediateX-Rays and MRIs are done. The -ray results are negative. All bones appear... perfectly fine. After 30 seconds of having a good massage, he runs out of thetunnel with his arms UP IN THE AIR... including the arm that he was tucking into his body before... and he makes EVERY SHOT in the game that he takes from thenon, going 14-14, with a couple threes and a few nice dunks. The next day, MRI results show absolutely no stress to his cartilage, his muscles, or anything.Bones are fine, muscles are fine, ligaments are fine, tendons are fine; everything's fine.

So in that situation, you would still say 'Hey, we don't know what was wrong with him when itfirst happened'? You would NOT just admit that clearly, he was overdramatizing things at first?

By the way, who is your favorite player?

And no, I don't think they just automatically cart people off for precautionary reasons. They cart you out if they think you can't walk. Perkins wasinjured minutes later, and he wasn't carted back to the med room. He walked back, because he wasn't showing any signs that he couldn't walk.

Doctors aren't always right, an MRI would confirm if his knee is ok or not. A doctor can manipulate the joint and give his medical opinion, but that's it!
exactly, maybe I just dont trust doctors anymore after the two and a half month fiasco I went through with them giving me the run around, but Idon't see why they wouldnt just get it to be safe. Its not like they have to disclose the results to Pierce, but why wouldnt they get it to make SURE thatthe dude isnt going to mess up his knee.

Im not saying PP is faking it, im not calling him a wuss, you can go back and check my previous posts, but I dont really get the medical staffs logic behindthis one. The dude had to be carted off in a wheel chair I think that would be grounds to double check my own work

Back
Top Bottom