The Official 2010-2011 New York Giants Offseason Thread Vol. Tom Coughlin to Return as Head Coach

1st and foremost Tom Coughlin should be retained as Head Coach and it should be announced today that he will stay.

We need secondary help and a play-making LB.

On offense some WR depth, not necessarily starting caliber guys, but just depth.

finished the season 10-6 but missed the playoffs...feels bad man...

1st and foremost Tom Coughlin should be retained as Head Coach and it should be announced today that he will stay.

We need secondary help and a play-making LB.

On offense some WR depth, not necessarily starting caliber guys, but just depth.

finished the season 10-6 but missed the playoffs...feels bad man...

pimp.gif

Coughlin isn't going anywhere.
Giants are still one of the youngest teams in the L, and it showed at times with all of the unforced mistakes. Amazing that they won 10 games despite how many turnovers, like 40? 10 wins is an improvement over last season.

They do need a veteran reliable WR to go alongside Nicks/Smith/Manningham.....Gilbride runs a very complex offense with lots of routes and the younger guys don't always run the best routes (esp Mario).

Keep up with the good drafting, we need another TE cause Kevin Boss is below average.

Coughlin isn't going anywhere.
Giants are still one of the youngest teams in the L, and it showed at times with all of the unforced mistakes. Amazing that they won 10 games despite how many turnovers, like 40? 10 wins is an improvement over last season.

They do need a veteran reliable WR to go alongside Nicks/Smith/Manningham.....Gilbride runs a very complex offense with lots of routes and the younger guys don't always run the best routes (esp Mario).

Keep up with the good drafting, we need another TE cause Kevin Boss is below average.

we had a lot of injured wr's though.

cosign on a lb.

special teams make over.

... fields bad man

henz get outta here mane >;|

we had a lot of injured wr's though.

cosign on a lb.

special teams make over.

... fields bad man

henz get outta here mane >;|

Eli was least of the problems.

He is what he is, will stay in the game, drive the team when needed, make a couple of *%$ plays, but then can make a play that leaves you
eek.gif

He has regressed on his accuracy this season, and has put up good numbers the two seasons prior, but a lot of the interceptions were on catchable passes that the Giants young receivers could not bring down (about half of them).

The mistakes were from the entire team, Eli is just easy to pick on cause of his personality.

Eli was least of the problems.

He is what he is, will stay in the game, drive the team when needed, make a couple of *%$ plays, but then can make a play that leaves you
eek.gif

He has regressed on his accuracy this season, and has put up good numbers the two seasons prior, but a lot of the interceptions were on catchable passes that the Giants young receivers could not bring down (about half of them).

The mistakes were from the entire team, Eli is just easy to pick on cause of his personality.

Losing Hixon before the season started hurt...he was a reliable returner.

- Matt Dodge better be cut today.
- If Plaxico gets out soon, bring him back...seriously.

AND

Honestly if anyone needs to be fired, it's Gilbride...get his dumb %#@ out of here. I've hated him for years, dumb %#@ play calling.

Losing Hixon before the season started hurt...he was a reliable returner.

- Matt Dodge better be cut today.
- If Plaxico gets out soon, bring him back...seriously.

AND

Honestly if anyone needs to be fired, it's Gilbride...get his dumb %#@ out of here. I've hated him for years, dumb %#@ play calling.

sign a good veteran wr, keep Coughlin, better luck next year.

10-6 with no playoff sucks

sign a good veteran wr, keep Coughlin, better luck next year.

10-6 with no playoff sucks

John Mara just said Tom Coughlin is coming back, and that he was coming back regardless of today's outcome.

Mara: "The only time you make a coaching change is when the players aren't responding to the coach. That is not the case here."

Mara said he told Coughlin last week that he'd be back. Coughlin said he was "very apreciative, very grateful" for that. 

1 thing off the checklist.

John Mara just said Tom Coughlin is coming back, and that he was coming back regardless of today's outcome.

Mara: "The only time you make a coaching change is when the players aren't responding to the coach. That is not the case here."

Mara said he told Coughlin last week that he'd be back. Coughlin said he was "very apreciative, very grateful" for that. 

1 thing off the checklist.

Every year we make the same mistakes. We plug a hole and another one opens up. Seems like as a team we're always behind the curve, in comparison to a team like New England that always seems to know the right moves to make.

On offense we have a lot of talent but our offensive scheme needs to be revamped. We run the same plays every week and we run them in the same situations. Even I know what's coming more than half the time. This is why our running game is not what it used to be and our passes are almost always either contested or brought down quickly. How may times have you seen one of our receivers get open because the defense was confused or misled? Rarely. Our wide receivers get open on individual effort and good route running, not because we're ever one step ahead of a defense. Eli has been having to squeeze balls in to ridiculously small windows or throw high/outside where only his receiver can get it. I really think we need to expand our playcalling cause what we had this year won't cut it. Our screens are pathetic and without a true and consistent deep threat, running the same plays over the middle of the field ain't gonna fool anyone.

On defense we need to stay healthy and stay motivated. It seems like since Strahan left our D only shows up when they feel like it. And with Pierce gone from last year no one even tried to pick up the torch and be a leader. We might need to bring in a veteran or two cause some of our defensive letdowns were inexcusable.

Most importantly, and the most overlooked problem we have year in and year out is our special teams. I think this might be our biggest problem. I been a Giants fan for almost three decades now and I can't remember ever having a special teams offense or defense worth a damn. I don't even have to look at this years stats to know that our special teams offense is deplorable and probably at the bottom of the league. God only knows when the last time we ran a punt or kickoff back. Seems like we always have some wide receiver reject who just barely made the team running it back to the 20 and getting stonewalled. No cuts, no jukes, no speed. Catch, 5-10yd return, down. And our special teams defense ain't no better. They probably rank in the bottom half of the league. We need to get players who want to play special teams and are going to work towards being good at it. The one bright spot we had over the last few years was Tyree and he's gone. Don't let me get started on our kicking game
30t6p3b.gif
It's embarrassing. How is it that other teams can find guys who can kick it through the back of the damn endzone and we can't even get a guy who can follow directions? IDGAF if its a rookie. It's like they say, as a kicker you're there for one thing and one thing only and if you can't do that thing right you're worthless.

As for Tom Coughlin, I'm not opposed to him staying. But I'm also not opposed to shaking things up with a guy like Bill Cowher. Coughlin preaches the right things but the messages seems to get lost in translation a lot of the time. Maybe he's grown too old, I dunno. What I do know is if Fewell bails our defense is going to be in shambles. Cowher would be a great fit and can keep that defense playing at a high level. And Eli's growth seems to have stunted. What better way to kick start the engine than with a no-nonsense, scowl at you from a 100yds away every time you do something stupid kinda coach? Maybe bring in a decent backup quarterback in training camp and light a fire under Eli's rear. I know a lot of those interceptions weren't his fault and he didn't have his usual safety net and other regulars on a consistent basis but far too of those picks were on him.

Overall it was a decent season and I would've liked to have upset a few enemies in the playoffs but our chances of winning it all we're slim to none. Maybe its better we start reevaluating early and get his ship right. The warm fuzzy feeling I get inside from making the Pats go 18-1 and winning that super bowl in miraculous fashion is starting to fade and the trashtalkers are starting to take aim at us. Jets fans have even had the audacity of mentioning our names
30t6p3b.gif
We gotta do better while we have some really good pieces cause I'm not trying to have the Giants fade into obscurity. I just got my Knicks back, I can't lose the GMen
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom