The Official 2012 Miami Dolphins OffSeason Thread: 85 signs w/ Miami. 1 yr deal

roll.gif

Only this can happen to us.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Sign Garrard to back up Moore, get as many starters from the draft as we can (Philbin also helps here, he saw how GB built everything thru the draft) then play the year out, go into 2013 with your QB in focus.  Gonna be a lot to choose from, won't even have to trade up or anything for one. 

Add 2 playmakers on D, like say Ingram/Hosley
2-3 players on O, Streeter/Toon, + a TE in the 6-4/6-5 mold (maybe Peterson from LSU)

Then just try to find value in rounds 5-7 like we did last year with Clay and Wilson. 
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Come next year, we take QB round 1, and then address whatever else after that.  Be it Oline, RB, another WR, maybe another TE, etc. 

That fills out the entire roster, with 3 solid drafts in a row, IF we do it right. 

And yes, Ireland not landing key free agents could be a problem, but at least we don't give out 50 million to Pierre Garcon's or @#$% like that. 
laugh.gif
  Saves us in a way. 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I swear to god we've said the same thing for a year now...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]And everyone sh-t's on ireland... the guy Did have 1 good draft. IF he can have another then we'll see. But he is a problem and it's blatant that he is the main reason for keeping talent away. Manning and Clark were a lock, then look. Fisher, then look. Harbaugh, then look. It seems people know Ross will spend the money for whatever is needed, he doesn't know football for anything but he is willing to do whatever it takes financially (it seems.) But for whatever reason he hangs on to Ireland. Will see how this goes.[/color]
Originally Posted by rillo561

Come on dolphins trade up for that tannenhill guy.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You are not welcome here.[/color]

Originally Posted by mr2cool80

Originally Posted by henz0

Tebow??
nerd.gif

All signs pointing mostly towards J-Ville for the most part ...

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]i was actually gonna curse the name of Henzo for even bringing this up...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]but on second thought. Miami is a circus as it is. No Credible free agent wants to go there. Jacksonville already brought in a QB with Gabbert, they won't and already said they wouldn't bring in Tebow.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Might as well bring him in. Dolphins have no Number 1 or Number 2 recievers. Got Reggie and Daniel though. Why Not? [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]This is what happens when the Inmates run the Asylum...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]honestly one of thee most depressing things i've read in awhile... by peter king.[/color]

In the immortal words of Vince Lombardi (sort of), "What the hell's going on down there?!"

In Miami, I mean.

In the last 10 years this franchise has been the most luckless, clueless, hapless club. To wit:

Head coaches (seven): Dave Wannstedt, Jim Bates, Nick Saban, Cam Cameron, Tony Sparano, Todd Bowles and now Joe Philbin.

Starting quarterbacks, minimum four starts (13): Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucas, Brian Griese, A.J. Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon(!), Trent Green, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne and now, evidently, Matt Moore. Unless they sign Alex Smith this morning, and if so, Smith would be in line to be the 14th starting quarterback in the last 11 seasons.

Offensive coordinators (seven): Norv Turner, Chris Foerster, Scott Linehan, Mike Mularkey, Dan Henning, Brian Daboll and now Mike Sherman.

Defensive coordinators (six): Jim Bates, Richard Smith, Dom Capers, Paul Pasqualoni, Mike Nolan and now Kevin Coyle.

The most bizarre moves, and aftermaths, of the last decade of Miami Dolphins football -- actually, decade plus 11 days, considering that the Dolphins traded for Ricky Williams 10 years and 11 days ago:

1. The ridiculous inability to find, develop and decide on a quarterback who could be even half as good as Dan Marino. Miami, in the last 10 years, has traded a seven for Rosenfels, a two for Feeley, a two for Culpepper, a six for Lemon, a five for Green, and used a two to draft Beck and another two to draft Henne. None is on the team anymore. None became a shadow of Marino. And Sunday, when Matt Flynn chose Seattle over Miami as the prize of a thin free agent quarterback crop, it left the Dolphins scrambling and reconsidering how aggressively to go after Alex Smith. Or hope Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M would be there with the eighth pick in the first round on April 26. Or play with Matt Moore. Not very good options.

2. The ill-fated hiring of Nick Saban. He was supposed to turn the Dolphins around, and be the head coach for life, when Wayne Huizenga hired him early in 2005. He went 15-17, made a horrendous quarterback decision (picking Culpepper over Drew Brees in 2006) and skulked off to Alabama after denying 613 times he'd go back to college football.

3. The one you've all forgotten. Two days apart in early 2007, soon after Saban skulked off to Alabama (can't use that phrase enough), Miami interviewed two coordinator prospects -- among others -- to succeed Saban. The Dolphins favored offensive coordinator Cam Cameron of San Diego over Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. Cameron got the Miami job. Tomlin got the Pittsburgh job. Cameron went 1-15 and got fired. Tomlin went 10-6, won the AFC North and is 55-25 since, with a Super Bowl win.

4. Trades that stunk. Ricky Williams came in 2002 for two first-round draft picks and gave the Dolphins two terrific seasons -- and five lousy ones, and one-and-a-half suspended ones. Wes Welker was made a restricted free agent in 2007, and the Patriots stole him for second- and seventh-round draft picks. Those two picks turned into one season of center Samson Satele before he was dumped to Oakland for a sixth-rounder the next year. I'd call the Brandon Marshall trade (for two second-rounders in 2010) a debacle, but they did regain two third-rounders this year. They wasted two second-rounders on quarterbacks who barely had cups of coffee in Miami -- Feeley and Culpepper.

5. Drew Brees. Saban chose Culpepper over Brees in March 2006 because Brees was rehabbing major shoulder surgery. Ten months later, Saban skulked off to Alabama, and the 1-15 Dolphins of 2007 played with Lemon, Green and Beck. Funny thing, as I wrote a couple of months ago: On the night Miami had to make the decision which way to go on Brees or Culpepper, owner Wayne Huizenga was out to dinner with a friend and said. "I want them to sign Brees. They want Culpepper.'' Huizenga got a call on his cell phone and walked outside. When he came back inside the restaurant, Huizenga said his football people were insistent that Culpepper, for reasons monetary and football and health, was a better choice than Brees. "I told them, they're the football guys, not me,'' said Huizenga. But the owner repeated that if it were up to him, he'd have signed Brees. Miami is 37-59 since, with no playoff wins.

Clearly, when Huizenga brought in Bill Parcells, who imported Jeff Ireland from the Cowboys, he didn't expect the disastrous personnel run that has ensued. (And the man who bought the Dolphins from Huizenga, Stephen Ross, didn't expect Ireland to ask Dez Bryant the sordid question about his mother's occupation in the run-up to the 2010 draft either.) The Ross-Ireland daily double has failed to lure Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher, and has failed to land Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn either.

When I was talking to Flynn Sunday night about why he chose the Seahawks, he must have repeated three or four times how much he liked the feeling he got from the Seahawks' coaches and front office people when he was in Seattle. He wouldn't say anything negative about Miami; he is very fond of his former offensive coordinator in Green Bay, Philbin. But clearly Flynn felt the love more in Seattle than in Miami.

It's absolutely amazing how much failure the Dolphins have endured in the last 10 years. And the way this year is beginning -- losing out on Fisher, Manning and Flynn -- I'm amazed that Ross is putting up with it without blowing a gasket.

I'm happy we did not overpay for Flynn, who has proven nothing, and hope that we do not continue to pursue Alex Smith, who is not that much (if at all) better than Moore.

And keep Tebow outta here.

That Culpepper over Brees decision still gives me nightmares
30t6p3b.gif

Didn't know we had a shot at Tomlin
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Sign Garrard to back up Moore, get as many starters from the draft as we can (Philbin also helps here, he saw how GB built everything thru the draft) then play the year out, go into 2013 with your QB in focus.  Gonna be a lot to choose from, won't even have to trade up or anything for one. 

Add 2 playmakers on D, like say Ingram/Hosley
2-3 players on O, Streeter/Toon, + a TE in the 6-4/6-5 mold (maybe Peterson from LSU)

Then just try to find value in rounds 5-7 like we did last year with Clay and Wilson. 
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Come next year, we take QB round 1, and then address whatever else after that.  Be it Oline, RB, another WR, maybe another TE, etc. 

That fills out the entire roster, with 3 solid drafts in a row, IF we do it right. 

And yes, Ireland not landing key free agents could be a problem, but at least we don't give out 50 million to Pierre Garcon's or @#$% like that. 
laugh.gif
  Saves us in a way. 
Been hearing this sentence for 10 years, AT LEAST.
tired.gif

Alot of that article says what I've been trying to get across, all those horrible mistakes, were not THIS regime!!!! 

Ireland has made mistakes, but he hasn't made FATAL mistakes. 

Giving away 4 first round picks in 5 years, THAT'S fatal.  That one #1 we actually kept, a bum corner out of the league in 3 years. 
Having the #2 pick and taking Ronnie Brown and THEN Ricky decides to come back, fatal.  If Ricky says something BEFORE the draft, maybe Aaron Rodgers is a Dolphin. 
nerd.gif

Saban and the Brees/Culpepper angle. 
Cam Cameron taking Ginn. 

THOSE THINGS ARE HORRRRRRRRRIBLE CALLS THAT AFFECT THIS TEAM TODAY, RIGHT NOW.  And that is not Ireland/Ross's fault.  They are having to RECOVER from all that mess.  They need to add picks, stack picks, double picks, whatever.  Parcells didn't do it, he got lucky with Pennington one year, then bounced right after.  He didn't FIX anything. 

Ireland is trying to win thru the draft, and not giving out horrible contracts like the Skins do.  If Peyton says yes, ok, you go in with him, try to win for 2-3 years, but it STILL wouldn't have fixed us long term. 

Look at this.

1st Round
1999 No pick
2000 No pick
2001 Jamar Fletcher
2002 No pick (OR 2nd round pick
indifferent.gif
)
2003 No pick
2004 Vernon Carey
2005 Ronnie Brown
2006 Jason Allen
2007 Ted Ginn

2008 Jake Long
2009 Vontae Davis
2010 Jared Odrick
2011 Mike Pouncey
2012 ????

The last 4 are Ireland with Parcells for the first 2.  You can get mad at Odrick, but he traded down to get back picks that he moved for Marshall, NOT a bad move at all, and Odrick is at least still here unlike some other picks that were made.  Either way, these 4 years are better than the whole previous NINE years. 
sick.gif

I get that Ireland is a tool bag.  But this mess is NOT his damn fault, he's trying to fix it.  What we need is a big Cleveland trade where we get like 5 picks for just 1.  Or a Rams pick where we get 3 1's and a 2 to drop four spots. 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Even if we fire Ireland, then what?  MORE rebuilding again, with a GM who will start to clear out players for his system, his coaches, etc etc.  It all begins anew.  At least by keeping Ireland we let him TRY to insert players along with the ones we've been getting the last 3-4 years to work out.  It's taking forever, but what you see there from 99 to 07 was HORRIBLE damage that was masked by good players still being there.  Zach, Taylor, Madison, Ricky to a degree, but he also killed us multiple times. 

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]i really really really hope and pray to the football gods the dolphins trade back once, possibly twice, and get value in the late first, second, and third round. that is the only way any of this makes sense.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You can get 4-6 potential starters with trading back once or twice. 2 recievers, O line, DB. All Needs. Moore at the helm. Barkley next year.[/color]

Man, forget this QB talk. I'm ready to ride or die with Moore. Nobody can tell me that Alex Smith is better than Matt Moore, and this organization was willing to spend money a scrub that cn't throw the ball more than 30 yards in the air.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'll reserve all hatred talk until between after the draft to week 6.

i'll keep the faith until said time.
[/color]

Originally Posted by rashi

Man, forget this QB talk. I'm ready to ride or die with Moore. Nobody can tell me that Alex Smith is better than Matt Moore, and this organization was willing to spend money a scrub that cn't throw the ball more than 30 yards in the air.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]looks like we are all getting our wish with Moore as far as this season. Garrard signs.[/color]

David Garrard will surprise you Dolphins fans. He is a much better QB than most people give him credit for. Glad I'll be able to watch him play next season
pimp.gif

Dolphins off-season plans:

Plan A- Manning
Plan B- Flynn
Plan C- RG3
Plan D- Matt Moore working out
Plan E- Somebody with a pulse
Plan F- David Garrard

Next?

Originally Posted by bkmac

Plan A- Manning
Plan B- Flynn
Plan C- RG3
Plan F- David Garrard

Next?

Jets offseason plans

A Not even get a call back from Manning
B Give a bunch of money to Pick 6
C Sign Steroid Toast
D Run their mouths as usual and not back it up
E Lose to Matt Moore and David Garrard 
pimp.gif

You guys are in worse shape than we are, and just don't know it yet. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Moore and Garrard are both on 1 year deals, I think we're using our first round to take Tannehill at 8, or maybe trade down and take Weeden.  Either way, hopefully you Dolphin fans crying and whining will get your QB.........a year too early.  But hey, ownership is doing what you all want.  Way to think ahead guys.  
30t6p3b.gif

Plan A- Manning
Plan B- Flynn
Plan C- RG3
Plan F- David Garrard

Next?

Beat the Jets like they do every year.  Jets and Dolphins won the same amount of playoff games last year.

Plan A- Manning
Plan B- Flynn
Plan C- RG3
Plan F- David Garrard

Next?
Mark Sanchez is your starting QB though.

Anybody trying to make positives out of this is delusional. We are stuck with Jeff Ireland and Stephen Ross. That is all that needs to be said. I could do a better job with the internet and some friends.

Originally Posted by kc24688

Anybody trying to make positives out of this is delusional. We are stuck with Jeff Ireland and Stephen Ross. That is all that needs to be said. I could do a better job with the internet and some friends.
No, we were delusional to believe that Peyton Manning actually wanted to play here just because he owns a couple vacation homes in South Florida.  I never believed that Matt Flynn was the answer, he was a very average player at LSU with only two NFL starts, of the which his best performance being in week 17 against a team that had already clinched a playoff spot.  After those two who was left? Alex Smith? No thanks.  At this point we're stuck with Moore, I wouldn't look much into the Garrard signing either, he was only brought in to give Moore some competition.  The fact of the matter is there was only one QB worth getting this off season and he just so happened to be one of the greatest of all time, were we the only ones that lost out on him? No, ask the guys over in San Fran and Tennessee how they feel to be snubbed by Peyton.  The only way this team can move forward is through the draft, and if there is one arena that Ireland has proved himself in it's in scouting and the NFL Draft.  Whether our future QB comes in this class or the next I'm not sure, but our owner has shown signs of discontent with mediocrity, which points to the fact that we will draft that guy whether it's this year or next.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Phins beat the jets right out of the Luck / rg3 sweepstakes.

Truth, and mark sanchez has 4 more playoff wins than the dolphins have had in the last 12 years ....yikes

Originally Posted by PauliePeppas

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Phins beat the jets right out of the Luck / rg3 sweepstakes.

Truth, and mark sanchez has 4 more playoff wins than the dolphins have had in the last 12 years ....yikes
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"led by the right type of people" - Matt Flynn, referring to Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom