The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you’re also proving my point that a future 1st isn’t necessarily a guarantee then?

So you’re also proving my point that a future 1st isn’t necessarily a guarantee then?

the steelers traded up for devin bush, a LB

are you actually reading what i'm saying?

That 2013 1st round draft class didn’t exactly light up the NFL either lol.

eric fisher and lane johnson have been pretty important to their teams..

hell, speaking of the saquon draft

for the jets to move up to 3 to pick darnold, they gave the colts the 6th pick, two 2nds (37th and 49th picks) and a 2019 2nd (which was the 34th pick that year)

hell, speaking of the saquon draft

for the jets to move up to 3 to pick darnold, they gave the colts the 6th pick, two 2nds (37th and 49th picks) and a 2019 2nd (which was the 34th pick that year)

I was heated when that happened :smh:

Wanted Bradley Chubb/Nelson and then take Nick Chubb in the second round

They got future firsts because of how far they moved up as well. A lot of these trade projections that have been made by analysts and what not, have not involved future first because of how close in proximity those picks are to each other.

Did you read what I said? this is what I originally said, because you said when a QB is involved you can always get at least a future 1st round pick. Not only did you list multiple trades where it didn’t, you just listed the Darnold trade, where a QB was involved, that didn’t.

are you actually reading what i'm saying?

eric fisher and lane johnson have been pretty important to their teams..

Pretty sure those are the only two guys playing with the team that drafted them in that first round. hows everyone else from that class? It wasn’t a solid class.

Did you read what I said? this is what I originally said, because you said when a QB is involved you can always get at least a future 1st round pick. Not only did you list multiple trades where it didn’t, you just listed the Darnold trade, where a QB was involved, that didn’t.

literally the only trade involving a QB that i listed that didnt involve a future 1st, was the jets trading 3 2nds to move up 3 spots

steelers traded up for a LB (devin bush)

dolphins traded up for a LB/DE (dion jordan)

I was speaking in general though. You dont know for a fact that a future one is going to come back. Especially with that darnold trade being the latest example teams can go off of.

for washington to move up to 2 to pick rg3

they traded the 6th and 39th picks in that draft and two more 1sts

I was speaking in general though. You dont know for a fact that a future one is going to come back. Especially with that darnold trade being the latest example teams can go off of.

colts, who had andrew luck still were able to get 3 2nds to move down 3 spots

they knew they were getting the 6th overall along with the 37th and 49th picks that year.. they didnt know how high that 2019 2nd would be, but it's the jets (so it ended up being 34)

sure they didnt get another 1st along with 6.. but they got the 5th pick of round 2 and the 2nd pick of round 2 in 2019.. and the 49th overall pick

I get that. Just saying a future 1st rounder isn’t always guaranteed

barkley while still on his rookie deal, will be the 7th highest paid RB this upcoming season (could be 8th as soon as CMC gets paid)

he is eligible for an extension after this season

he will be the highest paid RB.. CMC is currently eligible for an extension

we've seen how these deals play out with RBs.. yes they are very nice luxuries to have, but you need a smart GM (which the giants dont have) and other pieces in place to be able to afford said luxury

You can't pass on Barkley, but you also cant be completely inept like NYG's front office going forward from that pick.

If not for drafting AP, the Vikings don't make the playoffs in many of those seasons he carried them...but, yeah...Giants are entering year 3 with Barkley, nothing to show for it and not too much promise, yet will soon need to fork up huge dollar amounts to keep him, which probably isn't worth it and keeps them forever mediocre.

They really need to get rid of Gettlemen.

i dont think anyone denies that barkley is a great player

but hypothetically giants could have had quenton nelson and nick chubb plus 3 other 2nds
- chubb went 35th and giants had the 34th pick

but gettleman never trades down.. and leonard williams is going be the 6th highest paid interior lineman next year (and 11th highest paid dlineman)

Last edited:
Teams don't usually hit on picks like that, but I see what you're saying. 1 surefire is always better than a 2 maybe's...Especially when you dont know who those maybe's are.

Teams don't usually hit on picks like that, but I see what you're saying. 1 surefire is always better than a 2 maybe's...Especially when you dont know who those maybe's are.

i agree.. but that's why if you got a ton of needs/holes, get more picks.. and if a QB is involved you can fleece the other team (as the colts did with 3)

i mean hard to do as well as colts did.. they moved back and took nelson who is the best guard in football and one of the most valuable olinemen in the league.. they got their other starting guard with 1 of the picks form the jets.. with their 2nd took darius leonard.. traded down with the other jets pick they got in that draft.. and then got their starting CB the next year with the last pick they got from the jets (34th overall)

Saquon not even gonna see the playoffs for at least another 3 years

I hope Giants fans are happy with the pick

TBH drafting a RB in the 1st has been the safest thing to do in the past 5 years.

Since 2015, these are the RBs drafted in the 1st:
Josh Jacobs
Saquon Barkley
Rashaad Penny
Sony Michel
Leonard Fournette
Christian McCaffrey
Ezekiel Elliott
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon

With the exception Jacobs & Barkley, who just complete only their 1st & second year respectively; every RBs has played in at least one playoff game, so their teams HAVE seen success.

Also, analyze EVERY single draft and point out 1 draft where these players aren't one of the top 10 players out of the 250+ picks.

From jerseys and merchandise, to literal on field production, I would say by far, drafting a running back is the safest bet IMO.

Often do trade downs even net the worth of doing. The Wentz trade is the a prime example that multiple picks don't really mean anything.

Gettleman traded Odell Beckham Jr to the Cleveland Browns for safety Jabrill Peppers, and a pair of draft picks the Giants turned into defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence and edge rusher Oshane Ximines.

Y'all expected him to flip the Saquon pick to another RB and other talent????

“Each RB has played in a playoff game” is a horrible way to evaluate that group. Ohhh yeah Rashaad Penny and Sony Michel, what a contribution they made to the Seahawks and Pats making the playoffs. Fournette was such a terrible pick you could say he’s one of the key reasons the Jags playoff run ended when it did.

But I guess trying to use that shows how little you have to go on when it comes to justifying high pick RBs.

“Each RB has played in a playoff game” is a horrible way to evaluate that group. Ohhh yeah Rashaad Penny and Sony Michel, what a contribution they made to the Seahawks and Pats making the playoffs. Fournette was such a terrible pick you could say he’s one of the key reasons the Jags playoff run ended when it did.

But I guess trying to use that shows how little you have to go on when it comes to justifying high pick RBs.
Huh? Leonard Fournette was literally the main reason we made the playoffs...

He literally won us the game vs Pittsburgh and kept us competitive against the Pats in the postseason

6E9C38BD-B6D7-4AA3-B606-186546CEC85B.jpeg

And Michel has honestly been one of the most consistent rusher for the Pats in 15 years. If he leads the team in rushing this year, likes he’s projected, he’ll be the first since Corey Dillon from 2004-2006.

8ABAF573-9C41-488B-9A7E-A617CEC55EE0.jpeg

Again, RBs have been the most consistently productive position of 1st round picks as of late.

Last edited:
Huh? Leonard Fournette was literally the main reason we made the playoffs...

He literally won us the game vs Pittsburgh and kept us competitive against the Pats in the postseason

6E9C38BD-B6D7-4AA3-B606-186546CEC85B.jpeg

And Michel has honestly been one of the most consistent rusher for the Pats in 15 years. If he leads the team in rushing this year, likes he’s projected, he’ll be the first since Corey Dillon from 2004-2006.

8ABAF573-9C41-488B-9A7E-A617CEC55EE0.jpeg

Again, RBs have been the most consistently productive position of 1st round picks as of late.

.....Fournette was the main reason they made the playoffs?

Bro their defense was beyond dominant that year. In fantasy football they were putting up like 20+ points every single week for most of the season. Putting up QB type of numbers.

That’s great that Fournette contributed to winning a couple of regular season games before consistently disappointing and being injured for the rest of his rookie contract. Think maybe Mahomes or Watson could have had a bigger impact? Not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom