The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but signing Dalton was pretty smart and gives Dallas all the leverage.

I don’t know about leverage.. but it gives them a solid security blanket, from a hold out or if he gets injured

but dak is going get paid, longer they wait the worse it gets.. mahomes and deshaun are both eligible for extensions which should move the line from russ.. maybe texans wait since we saw how they played the tunsil situation

hell look at the money Kirk got recently, which I think was 33.5 per

EXL_QK_X0AMDLG8

Game recognize game :pimp:

Kinda surprised by this..

even if they get dak signed and there is no hold out.. youre a long way before you gotta cut down the roster, think the roster is up to 100 right now.. also assumed he’d be the 3rd QB if they carried 3

who knows how much preseason and camp there will be

Pitt missed on on Jameis & Dalton....
I'd bring Cam in if I were them. Sort of similar playing style/build as Ben, great and stable coach/organization and he'd probably be the starter within a year or 2 tops with Ben nearing retirement

It'd be a great fit long term for him imo, really don't see Ben playing another year after this season

Yea, I’m hoping the organization tries to lure Cam in. Be realistically he’s going to want to be a starter for a team and there’s no way if Ben is healthy he’s not going to be the starter from day 1. Also, nobody knows when he plans to retire either.

As much as I'm adamant that he's a starter and still better than half the starters in the league right now, really doesn't look like there's too many openings or fits for him right now.

He might just have to settle for a backup gig in the short term with how things have been playing out this offseason. At least until whenever there might be some type of camp on and he can compete directly for the job.

Ben's been banged up a bit in recent years, he'd provide some quality insurance in case he goes down again at some point this season.

I'd have him in NE as the starter over Stid man too but not even gonna try to predict what Hoodie has in mind at that position :lol:

Yea, I’m hoping the organization tries to lure Cam in. Be realistically he’s going to want to be a starter for a team and there’s no way if Ben is healthy he’s not going to be the starter from day 1. Also, nobody knows when he plans to retire either.

I think that's the issue too; no one knows when Ben is going to hang it up.

I agree. But I’m just looking at things a bit differently because Ben is a top 5/10 paid QB in the league and Cam is going to want to get paid like a starting QB. Cam at this point in his career is still good enough to be a starter so I don’t see why he would try to settle for less

With Bud Dupree still unsigned and him due for a decent payday, I don’t see how the organization goes for Cam

Yea the finances would probably be the main issue cause I doubt Cam's gonna want to take that Jameis type discount at this stage nor should he be expected to :lol:. He's way too good for that and not sure if Tomlin would want to invest a good amount of money on the backup.

I think that's the issue too; no one knows when Ben is going to hang it up.
True but Ben has never really seemed like the type or even talked about playing into his 40's like others. Been quite the opposite with how wishy washy he's been on that subject and that was before he started getting banged up regularly so I don't really see him or even his draft classmate Bolo playing past 2021. Eli's already called it quits

That's leverage.

biggest leverage cowboys got right now is how late in the game things are

If they pull the tag, ain’t a ton of teams that could free up that kinda money to sign dude

but cowboys signing dalton don’t change what the market price is for a QB

I don't believe that's what he meant by leverage.

More so that the cowboys signed a guy that is also good enough to replace Dak. Which is true.

ive said it’s a great/smart move for the cowboys.. especially if a deal doesn’t get worked out and he holds out

but I don’t see how that affects dak’s contract, which is my point

ive said it’s a great/smart move for the cowboys.. especially if a deal doesn’t get worked out and he holds out

but I don’t see how that affects dak’s contract, which is my point

You stay creating your own arguments.

Dallas doesn't have to pay him said contract anymore. He can hold out all he wants, while Dallas has a viable backup option in place.

The fact that him holding out is part of the equation attests to the Cowboys having leverage in the negotiations because they don't need to give him market rate. He already turned down the number that makes him the highest paid QB, annually, for non-SB winning Q's.

In negotiations strictly between Dallas and Dak...the Cowboys have the leverage.

Surprised by this

Wouldn’t be mad if the Dolphins took a shot on Malik and Reddick from the Cardinals. See if they can’t get instant talent of 25 years and under vs. waiting until next year.

Still build on a younger roster with guys that can play with versatility.

You stay creating your own arguments.

Dallas doesn't have to pay him said contract anymore. He can hold out all he wants, while Dallas has a viable backup option in place.

The fact that him holding out is part of the equation attests to the Cowboys having leverage in the negotiations because they don't need to give him market rate. He already turned down the number that makes him the highest paid QB, annually, for non-SB winning Q's.

In negotiations strictly between Dallas and Dak...the Cowboys have the leverage.

Dak hasn’t signed the tag yet, I don’t think

so Dallas still has the ability to pull the tag

however, they are still negotiating.. not sure why dak would take less because of dalton, when we’ve seen what other QBs get paid

as was the situation with Kirk cousins, if Dallas doesn’t want to pay him someone else will

Dak’s (or his agent’s) plan doesn’t change

If a deal doesn’t get worked out, he doesn’t sign the tag until he his to under the CBA.. doesn’t show up until he has to, again as stipulated by the CBA

and then you pull a Kirk, play out the year on the franchise tag.. then cowboys have to decide if they’re willing to tag him again or just pay him

andy dalton doesn’t change the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom