The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their paychecks and livelihood should be enough motivation.
The question was not 'Do you think the players will have zero motivation and will just refuse to play without fans?'

If that were the question, you just gave a great response, that their paychecks and livelihood should be enough motivation. But that wasn't the question. The question was 'How unmotivated do you think they will be?' So on a scale of 0 to a 100, for example, with 0 being completely unmotivated and refusing to show up, and 100 being 'This is amazing! I love my life!', how unmotivated do you think they will be? Where in the 0-100 metric do you think a player will fall? Say a prominent figure like Lebron or Westbrook, a player who definitely feeds off of fan energy and maybe they normally run at about a 90, where do you think they would fall on the scale now without fans? Obviously not 0, because their paychecks and livelihood are enough for them to remain motivated at least a little. But how little? It's an important question, and definitely worth discussing beyond just 'Their paychecks should be enough.'

Their paychecks are enough, that's why they're showing up. This is a different question.

IMG_20200508_080602.jpg

d146cc4d064e3379df97a135c85ec028.jpg

The question was not 'Do you think the players will have zero motivation and will just refuse to play without fans?'

If that were the question, you just gave a great response, that their paychecks and livelihood should be enough motivation. But that wasn't the question. The question was 'How unmotivated do you think they will be?' So on a scale of 0 to a 100, for example, with 0 being completely unmotivated and refusing to show up, and 100 being 'This is amazing! I love my life!', how unmotivated do you think they will be? Where in the 0-100 metric do you think a player will fall? Say a prominent figure like Lebron or Westbrook, a player who definitely feeds off of fan energy and maybe they normally run at about a 90, where do you think they would fall on the scale now without fans? Obviously not 0, because their paychecks and livelihood are enough for them to remain motivated at least a little. But how little? It's an important question, and definitely worth discussing beyond just 'Their paychecks should be enough.'

Their paychecks are enough, that's why they're showing up. This is a different question.

You gave his question a lot more specificity than he did. Moreover, it would be nearly impossible to answer the question as you’ve framed it because, as you pointed out, every individual is different.

He asked if the game would be hindered. By that, I assume he’s referring to the quality of play. My response is, I doubt it. Why? Because teams’ patience will run thin and if anyone on their current roster can’t find it in them to get motivated enough to play well in an empty stadium, then they will find someone else who can.

I’ve seen an MLB game with no fans, I liked it.

I thought there was a Min vs Det game with no fans a couple years ago but I can’t remember if it happened. I know they talked about it because of the Vikings dome collapsing or some ****.

Here's a question worth discussing. How unmotivated do you think the players will be on the field if stadiums are empty? Meaning, how much of the game do we think will be hindered?

Don’t think the motivations will be all that different

I mean depending on how much can now be caught by mics, some dudes might be cautious about what they say because they don’t the public to hear some things

but I think certain guys might have their best season ever easily without crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom