THE OFFICIAL 2023 DALLAS COWBOYS OFF-SEASON THREAD || Cowboys Gonna Cowboy

I know Dak is working through making the right reads, accuracy, and getting rid of the ball faster, but the catalyst to the offensive problems is the injuries/inexperience on the line. Now there is no 1st round pick to help bolster that. :smh:

Amari might work out for us, but not during the meat of what is left of this season. You already know Dak and Amari won't be on the same page right away, and the QB will be forcing the ball like he did with former WR's.

Maybe it will open up room for Zeke but I just want that 1st round pick. Thats usually day 1 plug-n-play talent.

There’s some flawed logic by Cowherd. The biggest misconception is how good our line is, at least this year. we don’t have an elite line. We actually have a below average line right now.

Tackles:
Tyron is the 20th ranked LT. La’el is 49th (9 teams have 2 Tackles in the top 32). Even if you split tackles into 2 sets of 32, both Tyron & La’el would be in the bottom half of their respective 32.

Guards:
Martin is 4th. Connor is 45th.

Center:
Looney is the 18th ranked center

I get the point Cowherd is trying to make. But it’s also from a flawed perspective. The OLine is not elite this year. Amari Cooper over the last 2 years hasn’t been a # 1 WR. He is what Dez Bryant was.

Our TEs are below average.

So below average OLine. Below average TEs, which Garrett runs TE heavy sets. Below average outside WRs. Dak has been effective in using Beasley. And last 2 of 3 weeks Zeke has been a dud. When Zeke has those types of games, we generally lose.

The problems with this team are the conservative play calls and game approach. Maybe Cooper is better than whoever we could have taken in the 1st at WR. But we certainly could have used a first for OLine where even if Tyron regains form and assuming Frederick comes back and is himself, La’el is below average at RT and Connor is atrocious at Guard. Our TEs do not require much gameplanning, that could have been somewhere we look. And our safeties are toward the bottom of the league.

And if we don’t turn it around, and if it’s Cowherd’s estimation Dak isn’t the guy because he didn’t turn it around with Amari :lol: . We don’t have a first in 2019 to go QB. (Cole is a Free Agent btw) So then we go QB in 2020, Cooper is a Free Agent. In that span, Zeke has to be paid. DLaw has to be paid. Dont know where the line will be in 2 years, specifically Tyron, La’el & Connor. And you hope Frederick is okay. The 2020 QB will be drafted into an even more weird situation.

The Front Office completely blew it by not starting fresh with the coaching staff when it was clear 3-4 years ago that while Romo could still sling it, he’s on his last leg (and all of you know I love Romo, I still say he’s the Franchise’s best QB). Then they blew it when they didn’t completely go all in on acquiring talent when they had an elite RB and a QB who surprised his rookie year looking like the future and was getting paid less than $1mil to surround him with top of the line guys in the passing game

Last edited:
Also $24mil a year for Dak? Who is giving him that?

If he has so many detractors, he’d probably get what Blake Bortles got 3 years $54mil. Which basically plays out as a 2 year contract because the 3rd year has an out with only $5mil in dead cap.

Tannehill got 4 year $77mil. Which plays out as a 3 year deal with $5mil in dead cap for year 4.

And for reference Dak currently makes less than Brandon Weeden right now. Whether you like him or not, he’s the 56th highest paid QB. That’s on the Front Office to not capitalize on that when after a great rookie year. Had 3 years of free money to go all in.

After the year, Cut Crawford 6th highest paid player saves $5.9mil of $10.1mil. Hurns our 11th highest paid saves $5mil of $6.25mil. TWill our 12th highest paid saves $2.25 of $4.75mil... If we don’t cut all before the draft, then again the Front Office decided that it’s better to do things half ***

Last edited:
Top 5 defense through 7 games.

Looking at our Free Agents, a lot of moves can be made to not eat into additional cap.

Cutting T. Crawford helps keep Irving
Cutting Hurns & TWill because no reason to keep either of them with Cooper here, helps us keep Beasley.
Keep DLaw long term.

Then you look at the team as a whole, and needs.
-Replace Garret & Linehan
-Backup RB who we can get 5-10 quality carries from a game. I think Rod Smith could still be that Guy for cheap.
-Outside WR
-TE
-LT
-LG
-S

No need to pull the plug or look to replace Dak for next year. If Garrett wasn’t an imbecile, we had a good shot at 5-3

Last edited:
Would you guys want Todd Haley back?

A lot of good players out there requesting trades. Go all in Jerry!!

Offensive Line needs to be retooled now too. Collins and Williams getting killed every play it felt like.

How the hell could a team bungle this, this badly.

alonzofacepalmlebrontech.gif

Romo and Witten slandering this team on national tv 2 games in a row :rofl:

We'll see if Jerry finally axes his puppet...

I think there’s a lot to correct before you get to Dak. Is Dak, Aaron’s Rodgers? No, not by any stretch of the imagination. But is Dak a decent QB with upside to be pretty good? Yes.

But you have to actually try. And that’s something that we can all agree that the Cowboys Front Office and Coaching Staff are not doing. You actually have to make game plans that work. When the offense is in the hurry up, Dak looks like an entirely different QB. How often are we in the hurry up? When we’re down two score. We are also trying to play ground and pound in a league that is passing fueled. Unless Zeke is getting 5+ yards a carry. You can’t keep up with ground and pound in today’s NFL.

Also look at the team around him on offense
Tackles - 18th and 56th ranked
Guards - 5th and 45th ranked
Center - 21st ranked

The line is below average without TFred

We get almost 0 production from our TEs:
Swaim is the 40th ranked TE. Jarwin is even worse but doesn’t have a qualifying snap count. Schultz and Gathers don’t even play.

WRs are better than we started with. But with the exception of Cole being a top end Slot Receiver, would you say Amari Cooper, Hurns or Gallup individually are in any conversation of 20 best WRs? 30? 40? 50?

We don’t even use Zeke well. First down runs over and over. Of course you’d load the box, I know you’re going to run it 1st down and probably second if I can keep you at 2&6 or worse. And if it’s 3&10+, I know you’re running a screen route.

Coaching is atrocious. Play calling is atrocious. Line has been terrible sans Zach Martin who does his job. We run 2 TE sets without a single productive TE. Our WR core is no where near Top 15 in the league.

Jerry screwed this up royally.

Back
Top Bottom