THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Since 1990, the world has changed so much we cannot just take the 1+inflation factor, slap it on the 90s price and call this the supposed price of today.

Marketing has changed, mass production has changed, shipping has changed, sales platforms has changed... Those sectors heavily impact the prices and all of these were made a lot more efficient during the last 30 years.

The 225$-140$=85$ difference is more likely due to the gain of efficiency than to Nike wanting to be kind with its customers and not adjusting to price to inflation factor. I'm even sure that you took the profit on one pair in 1990 < its inflated value in 2020, so Nike is winning on both sides.

at the end of the day, it’s all about the money and they know that regardless of what they set the price at, product will still get sold and profit will be made

Since you guys are posting brown AM1s today I decided to bust these out! Needed a maintenance wear anyways so might as well. Here’s hoping the Sole Gods bless me with a crack free day! Lmao
B08ECE13-AAD0-43F0-8AE4-CEB4971B06C0.jpeg

Since 1990, the world has changed so much we cannot just take the 1+inflation factor, slap it on the 90s price and call this the supposed price of today.

Marketing has changed, mass production has changed, shipping has changed, sales platforms has changed... Those sectors heavily impact the prices and all of these were made a lot more efficient during the last 30 years.

The 225$-140$=85$ difference is more likely due to the gain of efficiency than to Nike wanting to be kind with its customers and not adjusting the price to inflation factor. I'm even sure that you took the profit on one pair in 1990 < its inflated value in 2020, so Nike is winning on both sides.
Didn't mean for it to an equal adjustment. Agree, those factors play a role in prices not increasing with inflation. I just think using cheaper materials is another way to keep the cost down.

its synthetic on the grey parts. nike just go all out and give us proper leather for the whole sneaker. if Aldo can give us that at $50 bucks
the swoosh and toebox are buttery soft leather, if nike would have did the whole shoe like this they would caved in and crease allover... some panels need some more stiffness to maintain shape

Didn't mean for it to an equal adjustment. Agree, those factors play a role in prices not increasing with inflation. I just think using cheaper materials is another way to keep the cost down.

Not to continue a useless debate - our statements aren't contradicting - but I find it funny that Nike went up from 75$ in 1987 to 110$ in 1990 for the Air Max. In 1990 it was labeled as the "new" Air Max, so it was a continuity of the first model in 1987 (so basically same model) yet the price went up by 35$ in 3 years.
1602462304389.png

I believe I have also ads with prices of the OG BWs (1991) in Deutsche Marks and in French franc if anyone's interested but didn't included them as the conversion rate wouldn't be accurate. The comparison in USD makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom