THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

To add my 2 cents....I too have seen the shape quality change over the years but I love AM1s and can't see myself stopping purchasing them. I would personally love it if the old shape and materials came back but I'm stuck with what is released. I'm a bit of a germaphope and think rocking someone else's used shoes is disgusting, so that limits what I can get as far as older releases. Right now there are a bunch of new colorways that are dropping that make it worthwhile. During the times where AM1s aren't dropping or the colorways aren't to my liking I order ID's. ID's are always preferred from the shape to the fit to the comfort. Also, when we say the materials on a newer shoe are good (pimemtos), its all relative to what else has been released recently.

I wouldn't fit the definition of a AM1 purist.

What can ya do!?

Sneakerfan1 and AirMaxSyndicate make valid points. I'd be on both sides of the debate.

yea i like sneakerhead1 point and there is no problem with all the other ppl not wanting to settle for less but its not like JB where they quality is as bad as ppl think and they just raise the price just because ppl will buy. I think am1 is staying as true as it can the prices are Very reasonable the CWS arnt boring with a hint of simplicity just like orginal am1 CWs. Sure we can talk about all the wrong in it but why not try to see the good in it this shoe has been running strong for a long time and you dont have to deal with the hype that JB brings.

I confess that I bit on one of the women's CW, because every once in a while, I'll buckle on something I really like.

But, overall, I agree with AMS.

Steelo - what you call "keeping an open mind" an AM1 purist would call "being a sucker." While you say, things can't stay the same forever - a reasonable point in a vacuum - purists hear, compromise your principles and take whatever scraps the mega corporation gives you after years of loyalty and brand ambassador-ship .

I'm not as staunch with the AM1 as AMS is, but I totally get it because I exhibit the same kind of conviction for the AF1. You vote with your wallet - if you buy these shoes you are saying that you accept the new practices, shape, materials, etc.

Sneakerfan1 - what up, bro! ...Hey, I'm fine with buying almost no new shoes. ...I'll buy some Brons and AM13s and spend the lions share of my money adding to the stash of vintage heat. Like the AF1, the AM1 has enough truly amazing pairs that you can keep yourself busy chasing tons of awesomeness before being reduced to an ultimatum of accepting the new stuff or waving the white flag on the model.

Trife - oh, hey, wait a minute - you saying that you can't be a real AM head if you don't post in the AM Fam thread? :tongue: ...Just playing - but, I had to after how we got into it in the AF1 thread over something so similar. But, yeah, I agree. By all means - the younger generation should do their thing and buy what they want want - banana shape and all, these are still immeasurably better than highlighter color Foams. But, the older gen has a whole other set of standards.

Last edited:
yea i know what ur saying i guess i had no choice to be the voice for the "new gen" as for AM1 cuz i havent always paid attention to it but i do my research before i buy any shoe and there are old ones i like but i accept that wasnt my time era and wont ever get them so i guess this is all i can do but atleast i actually like it. the new shape for u will be the old shape for me once generations change and its my turn to talk about change. Respect to all that debated cuz i know other og heads can be very rude but you guys were just more enlightening if anything

How many shoes can these statements be applied to, though? What present day shoe stands up to the quality of yesteryear? Very few. Why buy any new shoes? I respect the opinions, but these aren't $200 retro Jordans or something.

We all have principles tho, I respect it.
Honestly, you kind of hit the nail on the head for me.  
laugh.gif
  I can't tell you how many times I head to the local spots to check out a retro expecting to buy, only to walk away w/ nothing because the quality is lacking.  Some models/colorways are copped regardless (Chlorophyll AT1s come to mind) of quality/shape issues.  But overall, yeah----I've spent a lot less on NEW retro sneakers over the past 3 or 4 years than I ever have.  I'd much rather scoop up older joints or new non-retro Nike shoes.  All that said, I'd never hate on anyone that doesn't see things my way.  It is what it is.  At the very least, at least Nike is coming very correct with the colorways these days.  
Trife - oh, hey, wait a minute - you saying that you can't be a real AM head if you don't post in the AM Fam thread?
tongue.gif
...Just playing - but, I had to after how we got into it in the AF1 thread over something so similar. But, yeah, I agree. By all means - the younger generation should do their thing and buy what you want - banana shape and all, these are still immeasurably better than highlighter color Foams. But, the older gen has a whole other set of standards.
laugh.gif
  Touché.  Guilty as charged, fam.  I can see what you were getting at now though.  I guess making statements like that is a broad generalization, so I shouldn't be too judgmental even though it seems like it rings true.  

I confess that I bit on one of the women's CW, because every once in a while, I'll buckle on something I really like.

But, overall, I agree with AMS.

Sneakerfan1 - what up, bro! ...Hey, I'm fine with buying almost no new shoes. ...I'll buy some Brons and AM13s and spend the lions share of my money adding to the stash of vintage heat. Like the AF1, the AM1 has enough truly amazing pairs that you can keep yourself busy chasing tons of awesomeness before being reduced to an ultimatum of accepting the new stuff or waving the white flag on the model.
What's good, my dude!

I definitely concur.  Like AliMuhammad though, I wind up being very limited by my psychotic levels of OCD.
laugh.gif
  I may start to come around though, especially if I can toss something in the washing machine and at least satisfy myself from the cleanliness standpoint, lol.  I definitely plan on moving onto AMs and other vintage stuff once I add to my collection of OG/1st gen retro Jordans.
How many shoes can these statements be applied to, though? What present day shoe stands up to the quality of yesteryear? Very few. Why buy any new shoes? I respect the opinions, but these aren't $200 retro Jordans or something.

We all have principles tho, I respect it.
Honestly, you kind of hit the nail on the head for me.  
laugh.gif
  I can't tell you how many times I head to the local spots to check out a retro expecting to buy, only to walk away w/ nothing because the quality is lacking.  Some models/colorways are copped regardless (Chlorophyll AT1s come to mind) of quality/shape issues.  But overall, yeah----I've spent a lot less on NEW retro sneakers over the past 3 or 4 years than I ever have.  I'd much rather scoop up older joints or new non-retro Nike shoes.  All that said, I'd never hate on anyone that doesn't see things my way.  It is what it is.  At the very least, at least Nike is coming very correct with the colorways these days. 
I respect that.  It's a big part of the reason why 2012 was my swan song to regular JB purchases.  They suckered me back in with my favorite silo (the 4's), but I just can't bring myself to support it knowing that I can find so much good stuff out there if I pony up the bread.  I've probably spent more on late 90s/early 2000s Jordans than I will on any of the new stuff this year.  Sometimes the nostalgia will sucker us all back in, though.

Most of my purchases nowadays have been newer Nikes.  It feels good to open that UPS/Fed Ex box and see something different.  Pretty much every single Nike Retro I've copped of late has been at a discount.  Even when I've told myself that I'd be willing to drop the bread regardless due to missing out on past drops, when my heart stops talking and my head takes over, it becomes a retail/below retail or bust situation.  I've purchased 3 of the recent AM1's so far (not including the Hyperfuse stuff), with the most spent being the $85 I paid the other day for Pimentos.  I have such a long list of older shoes that I'd like to pick up that spending full price on the new stuff rarely happens, so I most definitely get both sides of the argument.  At the same time, if I can pay $60ish when they come correct with the color blocking, I don't mind.  I've been very critical of a lot of what Nike's done of late, but there are times when they do come correct from a materials/shape/construction standpoint (Speed Turfs, Pillars, Safaris).  It's just disappointing that those instances aren't commonplace, but I've learned to either cop at heavily discounted rates, or just pass all together if I can't reconcile spending the money on something I'll have buyer's remorse on.

Definitely appreciate all of the perspective we've gotten from those who have chimed in.

yea i know what ur saying i guess i had no choice to be the voice for the "new gen" as for AM1 cuz i havent always paid attention to it but i do my research before i buy any shoe and there are old ones i like but i accept that wasnt my time era and wont ever get them so i guess this is all i can do but atleast i actually like it. the new shape for u will be the old shape for me once generations change and its my turn to talk about change. Respect to all that debated cuz i know other og heads can be very rude but you guys were just more enlightening if anything

Respect!

Just like you say that a lot of OGs can be jerks about things (we can!), a lot of the newer gen can be hardheaded, arrogant, and lost within their blissful ignorance. If I was just getting into this hobby now - there are only 2 tracks I would take... maybe a mix of both. I'd either invest most of my effort and resources toward hunting older pairs, or I'd do what you are doing and try to stake my claim to this generation, knowing what came before me.

I'm going to kick some real facts for a sec that go beyond sneakers. One of the main things that dudes my age get salty about regarding the younger generation is that they have very little identity of their own. ...To make it worse, they try to act like an authority on artifacts of an era we lived through - being the ones who made those styles famous - and they didn't. Today's generation chases Jordan retros - many of which were released before they were born. I saw a kid in the Polo thread drop $1500 on a Snow Beach fleece while basically having only 4 RL items in his wardrobe.

Don't spend your youth emulating ours. You'll regret it when you are older. The younger generation should be trying to create its own classics. Classics that they can claim their own and reminisce about when they are older without still being in the shadow of the generation before them.

Now, the OGs are going to mock you when you try to create your own style. Personally, I know I'm merciless in the celeb and WDYWT threads. But, we all had those growing pains. Every generation laughs at the next one. Over time, that goes away though.

So, I think you are taking just the right attitude. Define your own classic styles, and new classic colorways of older models. Respect what came before you and pay homage as appropriate, but seek to innovate as well and carve out a place for your generation in the long and storied history of this brand and hobby.

Being a toy is a state of mind.

that have nothing to do with if they are premium or not it all depends where they are manufactured, the china sneakers i personally wouldnt mess with it because the mall that they use there in the factory for the shoe causes the orthopedic frankenstein shoe look, so if you purchase a pair of am1 always flip up the tongue see if they are made in china or vietnam, china is a no no but vietnam, is good to go, here below you can see the difference between china and vietnam shape, both shoes are what you so called Premium PRM
These different molds are obviously also why the sizing is so inconsistent, but it's been worse lately. 

Nah, It's not even a huge deal to me. They look fine on foot. I was just pointing it out because you were comparing Vietnam vs China pairs. I was more upset that they took the suede off.

i personally think its better to size down 0.5 for the new am1 releases if you like a more cushioned fit imo
it all depends what is more suitable for yourself some people like to stay TTS others gonna size down 0.5
Just did that for the 1st time in 10+ years on the black/gold. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Respect!

Just like you say that a lot of OGs can be jerks about things (we can!), a lot of the newer gen can be hardheaded, arrogant, and lost within their blissful ignorance. If I was just getting into this hobby now - there are only 2 tracks I would take... maybe a mix of both. I'd either invest most of my effort and resources toward hunting older pairs, or I'd do what you are doing and try to stake my claim to this generation, knowing what came before me.

I'm going to kick some real facts for a sec that go beyond sneakers. One of the main things that dudes my age get salty about regarding the younger generation is that they have very little identity of their own. ...To make it worse, they try to act like an authority on artifacts of an era we lived through - being the ones who made those styles famous - and they didn't. Today's generation chases Jordan retros - many of which were released before they were born. I saw a kid in the Polo thread drop $1500 on a Snow Beach fleece while basically having only 4 RL items in his wardrobe.

Don't spend your youth emulating ours. You'll regret it when you are older. The younger generation should be trying to create its own classics. Classics that they can claim their own and reminisce about when they are older without still being in the shadow of the generation before them.

Now, the OGs are going to mock you when you try to create your own style. Personally, I know I'm merciless in the celeb and WDYWT threads. But, we all had those growing pains. Every generation laughs at the next one. Over time, that goes away though.

So, I think you are taking just the right attitude. Define your own classic styles, and new classic colorways of older models. Respect what came before you and pay homage as appropriate, but seek to innovate as well and carve out a place for your generation in the long and storied history of this brand and hobby.

Being a toy is a state of mind.
thanks man im only 21 so i can kinda say i was born lookin at yall era for sneakers (why i know my jordan history is amazing unlike other new JB head) and the pleasure of growing up and being part of my own generation (i personally think sb dunks are my favorites in my collection) and i juggle the two in my style. i never try to be anything im not nor do i pretend to try and know what i dont know thats why when AMS i just sat there and listened and wanted to know why he felt that way about whats being put out now.

I can say i know what hes talkin about now but im not sure if that will stop me from not buying am that arnt made places other then china. I have tend to go back to  try to find old AM (i like the atmos, wanted the 2009 og cw over this vintage one, i like the warhead but its hard to find) so again I think its just be to juggle the new and the old since thats what im used too, and again thank you for all the insight you guys have been commenting with and not downplaying me for any reason

airmaxsyndicate, appreciate you kickin some knowledge fam. Looked over a few of my am1s and can see what you're saying. My black/sails are Vietnam manufactured and i can see the difference.

I really liked the pimentos, but I have too many red kicks so I picked up the black gold and the canyon gold's. I love how am1's don't sell out like other kicks. Ordered from fnl using some winners circle coupons and $20 rewards. Love getting a deal. I'm sure I could have waited longer for more of a discount, but I hate to wat sometimes. If the pimentos end up sitting for awhile and getting discounted ill have to scoop them up too. I just have to wait, my normally patient wife is a little upset with me since I've purchased way too many kicks this year already.

My girl doesn't sound too excited when I tell her I want more shoes after I told her I was gonna stop lol.

Yeah same here, I'm supposed to be dropping 7 on a new lens, but I'd rather drop 7 on sneakers. Sometimes when I come in with packages, she just shakes her head at me.

As long as the bills are paid, I'm copping what I want. Guess I'll settle down when I have children

Hahahahaha. Man I'm lucky. We have pretty good jobs and she has more shoes than I do so it's all love at my house. We actually just priced some shelving for our collections.

We look at it like this: the bills are paid, the savings is accumulating, the kids have more than they'll ever need, so why not spoil ourselves.

Yeah same here, I'm supposed to be dropping 7 on a new lens, but I'd rather drop 7 on sneakers. Sometimes when I come in with packages, she just shakes her head at me.

As long as the bills are paid, I'm copping what I want. Guess I'll settle down when I have children

You'll 'slow down' when you start a fam but don't think any of us will completely stop! I'm 2 kids deep and still grab a pair now and then. IMO, your priorities begin to change but you'll still find a way! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom