THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Took 12 days from when I placed the order to receiving in hand, not bad at all. Most likely sending the grey pair back as I have 2 more loaded up in my cart waiting to pull the trigger on.

‪nike ID 2.jpg
‪nike ID 2-2.jpg

I wanted to bring this over from the AJ1 thread. I thought it was a pretty good discussion.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? There aren’t any differences in cost to getting an accurate mold, shape or correct colors. The gymnastics in reasoning some of you guys do is downright embarrassing. The truth is JB is both lazy and incompetent.

Isn’t it ironic how the guys who are in charge of the Air Max line were able to recreate the Air Max 1 to its exact specifications (mold/ shape/ materials)? There was a video where they explained how the shoe had moved so far from the original and that they listened to the community. Air Max 1’s were still a strong selling model for Nike before the AM 1 Anniversary dropped, so Nike didn’t have to do anything. The difference is they listened to the consumer and made the much needed changes to that shoe.

Then why did they choose to use the 94 mold instead of the 85? Do you really think they don't know and are just lazy? I don't claim to know which is why I said IMO, i just assume that there are cost factors (cuts, machining, labor, templates etc.) We know that saving a few cents for these companies means millions over hundreds of thousands of shoes.

The only thing the improved on the AM1 was the toe box shape, it wasn't an exact replica of the 87. They just stopped the toe box from dropping off to being more rounded. Even that wasn't true to the original.

airmax1want.jpg

rsufqhdcs3do4ijdhn4e.jpg

AM1s were going on clearance, they sold but the didn't sell at retail or close to it. They made the changes because they knew it would improve sales. The toe box was the quickest, easiest fix with the least cost to nike and it proved to be right.

As someone who owns the original 87 and the Anniversary pair; I can confidently say you don’t know what tf you’re talking about with that response. Do you though man, you seem to have it all figured out.

SoleByThePound SoleByThePound what were you basing your response on. I don't own 87s so I'm curious at what changes they made to mimic the OG.

There are much better AM1 experts than me here, so just wanted to see if anyone else wanted chime in. I would be happy to admit I am wrong.

Last edited:
Took 12 days from when I placed the order to receiving in hand, not bad at all. Most likely sending the grey pair back as I have 2 more loaded up in my cart waiting to pull the trigger on.

‪nike ID 2.jpg
‪nike ID 2-2.jpg

If the greys are a 12.5 I’ll take them off your hands right now! They are fire :nthat:

Love the OG '87 shape, that shoe is special. Just cos it was the first doesn't make it the best though. Can say the same about a lot of things, normally 2nd or 3rd gen perfect it and for me that's what happened with the AM1.

2017/18 is exactly the same shape they were producing in around 2003. Side by side it's identical. Which for a lot of people at least is the best shape all things considered.
It's also not just the rounded toe, it's the entire upper. The proportions are different, width and shape of panels are different from 2015 for example. millimetres make a difference. Compare today with '15, top down and side on, whole upper has been reworked. New models much narrower in the toe box.

I wanted to bring this over from the AJ1 thread. I thought it was a pretty good discussion.

SoleByThePound SoleByThePound what were you basing your response on. I don't own 87s so I'm curious at what changes they made to mimic the OG.

There are much better AM1 experts than me here, so just wanted to see if anyone else wanted chime in. I would be happy to admit I am wrong.
I'd love a pair of 86 or 87s just for collection purposes but man the Anniversary is just a much better looking shoe imo. 03-05 was perfection, way better than 87. I'm glad they tried to re-create 03-05 rather than 87.

Watch this and admit that you're wrong and be done with it already.

You realize they based the new shape off the AM1 Urawa right? It was made in 2004. They did not base it off the og. Idk who is arguing what but whomever is saying they made it back to og is wrong. They went for the 03-05 shape.

This argument stems from the AJ 1 thread. I explained to him that Nike listened to the consumer and made appropriate changes to the model, nobody claimed it was the exact same shoe. He got in his feelings when I said JB was both lazy and incompetent and that if Nike could get the Air Max 1 right, JB should get their Retro models correct as well.

Nice, waited it out and got my 11.5 in the 90/1 og cw for 40% off. Shout out to dude who posted those links to blends. Repped

Also figures that my lowball bid (at least when i bid it was a lowball) got accepted on stockx for the laser blue hybrids...and shortly after that i came on here to see i couldve got em for a bit less on blends. O well, win some.....

You realize they based the new shape off the AM1 Urawa right? It was made in 2004. They did not base it off the og. Idk who is arguing what but whomever is saying they made it back to og is wrong. They went for the 03-05 shape.

I'm just glad I dont have to iron my air max 1s anymore. Reshaping them was a pain. The new/old shape of the Air Max 1's are great and they look even better the more you wear them.

This argument stems from the AJ 1 thread. I explained to him that Nike listened to the consumer and made appropriate changes to the model, nobody claimed it was the exact same shoe. He got in his feelings when I said JB was both lazy and incompetent and that if Nike could get the Air Max 1 right, JB should get their Retro models correct as well.

Let me re-quote you so you can see in your own words.

Isn’t it ironic how the guys who are in charge of the Air Max line were able to recreate the Air Max 1 to its exact specifications (mold/ shape/ materials)? There was a video where they explained how the shoe had moved so far from the original and that they listened to the community. Air Max 1’s were still a strong selling model for Nike before the AM 1 Anniversary dropped, so Nike didn’t have to do anything. The difference is they listened to the consumer and made the much needed changes to that shoe.

You said the original so I'm assuming you are talking about the AM87. So how is it that the Air Max team did a great job of recreating a shoe when they used a 2004 mold when JB used the 94 mold for the Jordan 1 instead of the 85? These two divisions did the exact same thing, so which is it? One division can't do a good job listening to consumers and another a bad one because they didn't use the OG mold.

lol no one is "in their feelings." I don't know about you but I'm having a great time discussing details about shoes. :nthat:

You said the original so I'm assuming you are talking about the AM87. So how is it that the Air Max team did a great job of recreating a shoe when they used a 2004 mold when JB used the 94 mold for the Jordan 1 instead of the 85? These two divisions did the exact same thing, so which is it? One division can't do a good job listening to consumers and another a bad one because they didn't use the OG mold.

lol no one is "in their feelings." I don't know about you but I'm having a great time discussing details about shoes. :nthat:
Yea I'm not trying to get into this. I'm just setting the record straight on the am1. When Nike remastered it, they went for the 2004 shape, not the 1987 shape. The 87 honestly looks nothing like the 04 or the new shape.

02-05 is widely considered by most collectors and aficionados as the golden era of the Air Max 1 shape

there's nothing simple about "going back to the old molds". As time progresses, production technologies change and grow.
The equipment, processes, software and training of people evolves over time so it's not quite as cut and dry as popping in the OG mold.

Did you even watch the video or did you just take what he said about the 94 mold and run with it? Watch the video, which proves my first point. For the record, you must have misinterpreted my criticism about JB as a criticism of the AJ 1, which it wasn't. I think you should take this back to the Jordan thread and let the AM thread continue on its course. We can continue the discussion over there.

02-05 is widely considered by most collectors and aficionados as the golden era of the Air Max 1 shape

there's nothing simple about "going back to the old molds". As time progresses, production technologies change and grow.
The equipment, processes, software and training of people evolves over time so it's not quite as cut and dry as popping in the OG mold.
Dont get me wrong, I love the new shape stuff. But man those 03-05 pairs are just another level. The new shape looks really close to the 03-05 pairs but the old pairs are a little wider and have more padding on the inside so they are infinitely more comfortable. The midsoles are much softer too. Just a much more comfortable shoe to wear, even if the new pairs look very close to them.

‪nike ID 2.jpg
‪nike ID 2-2.jpg
That grey pair is clean

I love when Nike outlined the swooshes back in the day. They should bring back the thick outline on airmax’s and af1s

Dont get me wrong, I love the new shape stuff. But man those 03-05 pairs are just another level. The new shape looks really close to the 03-05 pairs but the old pairs are a little wider and have more padding on the inside so they are infinitely more comfortable. The midsoles are much softer too. Just a much more comfortable shoe to wear, even if the new pairs look very close to them.

I wish I started collecting back then. anytime I see an 03-05 pair on IG I can tell instantly and I just drool over that perfect shape.

Back
Top Bottom