The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

I appreciate the suggestions, I'm liking Kissmanga for not cutting pages.  I have another question though, I have a 14 hour flight next week, and I'd like to read Magi.  Is there a way to download the manga and throw it on a kindle or tablet?

I appreciate the suggestions, I'm liking Kissmanga for not cutting pages.  I have another question though, I have a 14 hour flight next week, and I'd like to read Magi.  Is there a way to download the manga and throw it on a kindle or tablet?
You can probably find a torrent on Nyaa or something like that. Otherwise you can buy the first 11 volumes on at Viz.com which has the official translations and highest quality. 

Part 1 of a 2 part editorial of Doflamingo's powers if anyone is interested
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/04/29/chao-time-string-theory-part-1/

Strings, they are all around us. Whether they are silk, cotton, wool, or synthetic fibers, strings make up the clothes we wear. In the form of wires, they transfer electrical currents to power our appliances, equipment, and telecommunication signals throughout our systems.

Early on, Doflamingo was shown to have the ability to control people like puppets, as well as amputate the limb of a giant with a clean slice. Having led the fandom to speculate that his ability involved strings, it was later confirmed that Doflamingo is a String-String Fruit user, fitting his role as a manipulative character who pulls the strings from behind the scenes.

As defined by Merriam Webster, a string  is a “cord that can be used to bind, fasten or tie” or anything that resembles one, covering threads, fibers, wires, etc. In Japanese, string is translated as ito  (糸), which can also mean “thread” and “yarn.” It is simplified from the character 絲, the Chinese word for silk. As a radical,   can be found in various characters related to strings, such as 羅 ra(gauze), 縫 nui  (embroidery; stitch), 紬 tsumugi  (pongee; to spin yarn), 絹 kinu(silk), 纏 matou  (to be wrapped on), 繊維 sen’i  (fiber), and 線 sen  (line).

Razor Wire

HM-3175_lg.jpg

Fretsaw

Of course, strings are not limited to our clothing and everyday items. They also have many industrial applications. Despite its slim appearance, strings are able to cut objects when applied with a sufficient amount of force. In some countries, glass abrasives are added to kite strings. Known as manja, these strings are used to cut other kite strings for competitions and other kite-running activities. Due to their sharpness, there have been several cases where individuals and animals are injured and/or killed through lacerations from wandering strings. In the series, Doflamingo uses his strings in the form of whips to slash his targets.

500px-Gigli_saw.svg.png

Gigli Saw

As shown by Doflamingo’s String Saw, string can cut through flesh and bones, like in the case of Law’s right arm or Oars Jr.’s leg. Based on the Japanese name (糸ノコ Itonoko), his technique refers to the fretsaw, a saw with a large frame capable of making intricate cuts. Its name also brings to mind the wire saw, a cutting instrument featuring one or two handles with an abrasive string attached to them. The wire is replaceable and can be embedded with stronger abrasive such as diamonds to cut through tougher materials such as steel or reinforced concrete. A variation of the wire saw known as the Gigli saw  is used by surgeons for amputations.

Smooth as Silk

Supply_silk_Chinese_satin_Brocade_satin_150cm.jpg

Silk Fabrics

Silk  is a natural protein fiber produced by several species of insects for various purposes, such as protection during metamorphosis and means to capture their prey. Being one of the strongest natural fibers in existence, silk is durable enough to last for decades under certain conditions. Since ancient times, domesticated silkworms (Bombyx mori) have been selectively bred for their silk cocoons, where its silk has been woven into textiles and traded as luxury goods.

Typical-orb-web-photo.jpg

Spider Web

Another notable source for silk are spiders, bringing to mind the dusty cobwebs seen in unkempt houses. Indeed, spiders producesilk  from their glands in order to spin their webs as a way to construct their homes, as well as immobilize their prey. They can also use silk to suspend themselves and travel around. In the series, Doflamingo has been shown to use his strings to swing around, suspend himself midair, and disable his opponents. He also made a gigantic spider web to protect himself, capable of withstanding the impact of Luffy’s gigantic fist.

Due to its structure, silk has extraordinary properties, such as high tensile strength and toughness. The spider silk mainly consist of fibroin, a protein whose primary structure is a recurring sequence of three amino acids: glycine,alanine, and serine. All three are nonessential amino acids, thus can be synthesized in the human body. Alanine can also be found in our diets, while serine can be biosynthesized into glycine. Glycine is also a component ofcollagen, the main protein that constitutes our connective tissues, bones, skin, hair, and organs. The high content of glycine in the protein allows for tight-packing, resulting to rigid structure and high tensile strength. Spider silk is shown to be very ductile, having been able to stretch to five times its original length without breaking. Despite its density, being one-sixth the density of steel, the stress that silk can withstand while being pulled is comparable to that of steel. The combination of its tensile strength and ductility allows silk to absorb a large amount of energy before rupturing, making it tougher  than steel andKevlar.

Silk_fibroin_primary_structure.svg

Primary Structure of Fibroin. The three amino acid forming this protein is glycine (blue), alanine (red), and serine (green).

spider_silk_glands_f95139.jpg

Spinnerets of a Spider

Spiders have several glands where each produce silk specialized for each function. The external part of this gland is referred to as a spinneret  and usually comes in pairs. Silk is produced  from the viscous fluids secreted by these glands, where protein molecules in this solution are stretched and linked as it is being ejected as long sticky stands. After use, spiders consume their own silk to replenish their energy and proteins. Much like the spiders, Doflamingo has also shown to make strings specialized for each of his attacks. He also recycles his strings, as shown when he used his string clone to create the Bird Cage.

Faraday Cage

391px-Cage_de_Faraday.jpg

Faraday Cage

Matching to Doflamingo’s bird motif, one of his techniques is the Bird Cage (鳥かご Torikago), an enclosure that can be made large enough to encompass the entire island. It has also been shown to be capable of blocking transmissions, simulating the effects of a Faraday cage. Named after its inventorMichael Faraday, it is an enclosure made from conductive materials that is able to block certain electrical fields, as they are simply redistributed and cancel each other out. To put it simply, a person trapped in a metal cage will not be affected by any external electrical discharges. As such, a closed car struck by lightning will remain relatively safe, while a mesh covering a credit card will protect its data from radio frequency.

faradaycage.gif

Electric charges generated in the cage will be distributed throughout the exterior surface, producing no electric fields within. The cage will still work whether it is grounded or ungrounded, no matter its shape or size. An ungrounded cage will have the charges within be redistributed throughout the cage, while a grounded cage would simply have the excess charges distributed into the ground. The charge within the cage will be cancelled by the charge of the inner face of the cage. Due to this effect, such a cage can be used to protect electronic equipment from external electric shocks, as well as prevent discharges in between contacts.

CessnaARC-RT-359ATransponder04.jpg

Transponder

Based on its name, the Transponder Snails (電伝蟲Den Den Mushi) communicate through a form of electromagnetic radiation, particularly throughradio waves. Due to its low frequency, cages with large grids are fairly capable of blocking such radiation. Similarly, any radiation outside of the cage would not pass through the cage, preventing any external contacts into the country and isolating it from the rest of the world. Doflamingo’s strings may have already been conductsuch or he may have the ability to produce specialized strings to achieve such an effect.

Despite the simplicity of the string, Doflamingo is able to take advantage of the properties of strings and apply a number of creative ways to produce a range of effects according to his needs. While it is uncertain how much limit he has on the strings he can produced, he was able to make the most out of his strings by reusing them. With clever tactics and multitasking skills, he has transformed the String-String Fruit into one of the most versatile and powerful fruit in existence.

—-

Stay tuned for the second part of this article in two weeks.

“Chao Time” is a bi-weekly editorial feature that is posted every other Wednesday only at The One Piece Podcast website.

Yeah it would be nice to have HxH back, though the last lil sub arc w/ killuas baby sister was gabbage :smh:

Just give me AOT season 2 plz
And two OP episodes a week and I'll be good :lol:

delete1234 delete1234
Alien invasion from a different world taken place again during peaceful times. The Border defense agency, create a defense system against the Neighbors(The aliens) and the member use triggers to fight.

It's somewhat like AOT with the military aspects and everyone joining for their own ambition. I'm fond of the comedy, action, and power level design/outlook along with the detail provided for each character through out the show.

[/]

Last edited:
delete1234 delete1234
Alien invasion from a different world taken place again during peaceful times. The Border defense agency, create a defense system against the Neighbors(The aliens) and the member use triggers to fight.

It's somewhat like AOT with the military aspects and everyone joining for their own ambition. I'm fond of the comedy, action, and power level design/outlook along with the detail provided for each character through out the show.

[/]

Bet, might have to check it out

Back
Top Bottom