The OFFICIAL CADILLAC THREAD

solarius49

Banned
I normally would have posted this in the TAN, but now I have to figure out a way to make this a whole thread.

Anyways, I used to own a 91 Deville, it was a POS when I bought it, so it didnt last too long. Right now I have a 99 5 speed Mustang, and I am 100% in tired of driving stick. I'm trying to get this Deville tomorrow, with 80k miles for $3000

Last edited:
I wish there was a thread with no discernable subject where I could discuss this

I LOVE 90s Caddies. I currently have 2 last gen Eldos and have owned 3 N* Caddies before that.

They are great cars and make very comfortable versatile daily drivers. Best FWD cars ever IMO (tied with 07 Monte SS) . ... Not that best Front drive means a whole lot. AWD/4x4 is always the ideal for bad weather but the FWD is nice if you live in a versitile climate that freezes over alot in the winter (midwest) . Trying to get up a steep slippery hill in a RWD car can be a real pain sometimes... especially if its a powerful car.

OP, I can probably help you with any questions you might have. Is the DeVille youre looking at a 4.9 (94,95) or a 4.6N*(96) ?

I LOVE 90s Caddies. I currently have 2 last gen Eldos and have owned 3 N* Caddies before that.

They are great cars and make very comfortable versatile daily drivers. Best FWD cars ever IMO (tied with 07 Monte SS) . ... Not that best Front drive means a whole lot. AWD/4x4 is always the ideal for bad weather but the FWD is nice if you live in a versitile climate that freezes over alot in the winter (midwest) . Trying to get up a steep slippery hill in a RWD car can be a real pain sometimes... especially if its a powerful car.

OP, I can probably help you with any questions you might have. Is the DeVille youre looking at a 4.9 (94,95) or a 4.6N*(96) ?

Its the 4.9. You hit the nail on the head, I have a RWD car now, and going up all these steep Pittsburgh hills is incredibly annoying, and when winter comes, I'll be spinning tires alot. I just love these Caddies though they are so big and comfortable!

I wish there was a thread with no discernable subject where I could discuss this

Nah man... screw that. I know it aint a M-series but Caddie owners deserve their own threads too. I know there was an Official Cadillac Owners thread somewhere but I couldnt find it.

I normally would have posted this in the TAN, but now I have to figure out a way to make this a whole thread.
Anyways, I used to own a 91 Deville, it was a POS when I bought it, so it didnt last too long. Right now I have a 99 5 speed Mustang, and I am 100% in tired of driving stick. I'm trying to get this Deville tomorrow, with 80k miles for $3000
HORRIBLE DEAL, that boat maybe gets 9 miles per gallon.

Im sure you can do much better for 3 grand, unless your running a limo service.

9 miles per gallon though lol.

My 91 got 13, and that was after I got the parking brake stuck on....so quit with the hyperbole

what gets me is how no young people drive cadillacs.

Every cadillac i see on the road is driven by someone atleast 40

Its the 4.9. You hit the nail on the head, I have a RWD car now, and going up all these steep Pittsburgh hills is incredibly annoying, and when winter comes, I'll be spinning tires alot. I just love these Caddies though they are so big and comfortable!

Yeah they are extremely comfortable, like driving on a cloud :nthat: and the N* variants are suprisingly fast for "grandpa cars" :smokin.

The 4.9 block itself is generally regarded as being much more reliable than the N*. Its no secret that pre 2004 Northstars do have a pretty high "headgasket failure" rate. Not actually a failure in the gasket itself but a design flaw where the teeth on the headbolt were made too fine. A proper fix invloves installing oversized headbolts or studding the engine. Once properly fixed a N* is usually good for at least 150k but buying a car with existing HG problems can prove to costly.

The Hydramatic ******s are extremely durable unless someone has really abused the the car.

Lol @ 9 mpg. I dont exactly know about the 4.9 but my N*s average 20 and I drive with a lead foot. I would think with the extra displacement the 4.9 would use alittle more gas but not that much.

3k is a fair price but I would try to knock off at least $100 just for the sake of the haggle. The car looks very clean , as do most low mileage Cadillacs :smokin . Thats one very nice thing about buying a used luxury car regarded as a "grandpa car" ... Grandpas take good care of their cars :pimp:

Last edited:
^ Navigator came out in 97 as a 98model and the Escalade was 99.

Benz has had the G class since the 70s although they werent always as luxurious as they are today.

Yeah they are extremely comfortable, like driving on a cloud :nthat: and the N* variants are suprisingly fast for "grandpa cars" :smokin.

The 4.9 block itself is generally regarded as being much more reliable than the N*. Its no secret that pre 2004 Northstars do have a pretty high "headgasket failure" rate. Not actually a failure in the gasket itself but a design flaw where the teeth on the headbolt were made too fine. A proper fix invloves installing oversized headbolts or studding the engine. Once properly fixed a N* is usually good for at least 150k but buying a car with existing HG problems can prove to costly.

The Hydramatic ******s are extremely durable unless someone has really abused the the car.

Lol @ 9 mpg. I dont exactly know about the 4.9 but my N*s average 20 and I drive with a lead foot. I would think with the extra displacement the 4.9 would use alittle more gas but not that much.

3k is a fair price but I would try to knock off at least $100 just for the sake of the haggle. The car looks very clean , as do most low mileage Cadillacs :smokin . Thats one very nice thing about buying a used luxury car regarded as a "grandpa car" ... Grandpas take good care of their cars :pimp:

Bro you're a genius...repped. Have you ever had any problems with the air ride?

bruh thats a nice lac for 3g's.... that 9 miles a gallon mess is just that BS... i would haggle a few buck down but 3k is nice for 80k miles

the interior is light so you know exactly how the car was treated

i miss my gray on gray 96 broham :smh: broad ran a red light & hit me when i was making a left turn... ^&* up my frame & the baby was basically dead :smh:

Ive never had any problems with the air ride personally, but the "service ride control" message Loves to pop up on pre 96 models. This is usually due to a dirty sensor but ive heard of people replacing their entire suspension sensors and all and still having the message appear on the computer on dash.

A simple test to check the air ride is to start the car in a quiet environment that echos like in inbetween 2 buildings in an alley or my personal favorite for diagnosing noises... the bottom floor of a parking garage :smokin. Get to a quite area and turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes (10ish) so the air bladders totally deflate. When you restart the car listen closely to the wheelwell above the rear wheels you should hear a compressor doing its thing (it'll make a burrrrrrrrr noise). A properly running air ride system should compress and make noise for no longer than 10 seconds. A broken system will keep making the compressor sound indefinantly. Also... when the rear shocks go out its pretty obvious when looking at the car... tail end will be sagging something feirce.

If the air ride ever fails in one of these cars I highly recommend going with a aftermarket manufacturer. NOS OEM suspension parts are obsurdly expensive but there are tons of different AEM applications that do the job for much less money. Some people loose the air shocks all together because they think they cant afford them or they just prefer a stiffer sportier feel. Personally I like the Air shocks, Arnott is one brand in particular that makes a nice affordable version that still maintains the air.

IDK if you are familiar but service ride control, check engine oil level, coolant level low, etc. are all messages that appear on the dash to let you know whats going on with your car. When you test drive the car upon startup keep an eye on the computer feedback and make sure the coolant and oil messages are not popping up, as these can mean the car has been neglected and will probably need some work. FYI the oil message usually isnt a big deal at all 90% of the time it just means the block is down a 1/2 quart... its nothing like the oil light that only illuminated when the engine is about to blow. Its more of a friendly reminder your car could use a sip of oil lol.

The feedback from the computers in these cars is great, they even have their own ODB reader built into the ClimateControl functions. If your SES light comes on you simply hold down a few buttons on the A/C and wait for all the lights on your dash to flash. Once the dash flashes your car has entered "diagnostic mode" and the codes throwing your SES light on will appear. Once you have the codes you just google search them and BOOM you know exactly what needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks man, so whats the general consensus on Cateras?

lol The Cadillac Wallet or the "Wallet sized Caddy".

I've heard so many horror stories about old caddies. Once they start breaking, they keep breaking.

On the other hand, I'm feeling the hell out of these new gen Cadillacs. I'd push the wheel off the wagon. :pimp:.

Back
Top Bottom