-The Official Car Discussion Thead-

I was looking into them, but wanted some input on which would be best for me. I have a nissan 240sx 
I love 240s. S13 or S14? Hatch?

Are you looking for performance or sound? IMO, don't take this the wrong way, but headers are a waste of money. They don't do much for performance at all. They are loud as hell but not worth the money IMO. Use that money and a add some more dough to get a complete turbo kit. 

I don't know how long you've had it but assuming you haven't done much to it, the very first thing I would do if  had the dough would be to slap a turbo kit and tires. Not a big *** turbo that'll blow your engine but something that will get you noticeable HP. Tires are a must for performance. Any power you get is worthless if you can't grip the road.

Also, you gotta keep this in mind whenever you add performance parts. You gotta see what that mod will affect and if you're car can handle it. For an example, if you upgrade your clutch, you're weakest link is now your flywheel. You're flywheel won't be able to handle it, so you should upgrade that as well. 

Upgrading your car isn't as easy as adding some parts to it. You gotta really think on how the parts work with each other. The best thing you can do is to be educated on how these parts work exactly. Also, be prepared to pay money for tuning because those mods are worthless without a tune. 

Are you looking for performance or sound? IMO, don't take this the wrong way, but headers are a waste of money. They don't do much for performance at all. They are loud as hell but not worth the money IMO. Use that money and a add some more dough to get a complete turbo kit. 

I don't know how long you've had it but assuming you haven't done much to it, the very first thing I would do if  had the dough would be to slap a turbo kit and tires. Not a big *** turbo that'll blow your engine but something that will get you noticeable HP. Tires are a must for performance. Any power you get is worthless if you can't grip the road.

Also, you gotta keep this in mind whenever you add performance parts. You gotta see what that mod will affect and if you're car can handle it. For an example, if you upgrade your clutch, you're weakest link is now your flywheel. You're flywheel won't be able to handle it, so you should upgrade that as well. 

Upgrading your car isn't as easy as adding some parts to it. You gotta really think on how the parts work with each other. The best thing you can do is to be educated on how these parts work exactly. Also, be prepared to pay money for tuning because those mods are worthless without a tune. 

All of this

What do you drive? just curious

Anyone have experience with a leaky Mercedes sunroof?

My regular mechanic doesn't work German often and tried a basic seal, but that didn't solve the problem.

Does it leak directly from the sunroof or into the liner ?

All of this
What do you drive? just curious
 09 Civic Coupe. Had it since high school, my first car. I love it to death, great gas mileage and quick around corners and whatnot. i like being able to whip around in it. I'm 20 years old so I'm still in school. Plan on getting a car once outta college and with a job. Looking for a sports car because I do have my Civic which will last me a while and is great as a DD. I'll most likely be getting a 370z.

So the dealer called an said "its a 6k job but we will pay for 75% or if u want we can give you 12k for a trade in" 

07 gti with 74800k on it... with no transmission , should i do it ?

So the dealer called an said "its a 6k job but we will pay for 75% or if u want we can give you 12k for a trade in" 

Check Kelly Blue Book :nerd:

They'll cover 75% of the 6K? So you'll only pay 1,500 out of pocket ?

Any warranties with it?

for some reason i always feel like dealerships are always trying to get you. This might be a great deal but ill never see it.

09 Civic Coupe. Had it since high school, my first car. I love it to death, great gas mileage and quick around corners and whatnot. i like being able to whip around in it. I'm 20 years old so I'm still in school. Plan on getting a car once outta college and with a job. Looking for a sports car because I do have my Civic which will last me a while and is great as a DD. I'll most likely be getting a 370z.

I have a 96 right now that i bought after i crashed my integra as a temp car until it was fixed.(3 years ago) I parted out the integra and sold the shell and im trying to figure out what i want next but i cant decide if i want a "tuner"(evo,legacy gt,srt-4) or something more "luxury" (maxima,Infinity,altima se-r) not really but a deff step up from my civic. Im 23 now and in a middle management position at work and while i dont need to dress better i want to but i feel silly hopping out a civic with a shirt and tie on. Might be in my head but at the same time it doesn't look right to me.

for some reason i always feel like dealerships are always trying to get you. This might be a great deal but ill never see it.
Yeah same, the 12k is only a few thousand less i would get with a functioning transmission
Check Kelly Blue Book
nerd.gif

Any warranties with it?
No warranties left , it hit the 5 year mark a few months ago

Yeah same, the 12k is only a few thousand less i would get with a functioning transmission

Check Kelly Blue Book
nerd.gif

Any warranties with it?
No warranties left , it hit the 5 year mark a few months ago

Nah I understand that part that your warranty is up, but will they offer you one atleast covering their work / transmission?

And your only paying 1500 out of pocket ?

Nah I understand that part that your warranty is up, but will they offer you one atleast covering their work / transmission?
And your only paying 1500 out of pocket ?
No they wont, and yeah 1500 , which is alot less than i thought i was going to pay

No they wont, and yeah 1500 , which is alot less than i thought i was going to pay
That's not a bad price for a dealership job AT ALL, but no warranty on the replacement is a red flag. Sounds like a known ****** problem with that model. If you're paying a note I'd take the money and get another ride. If it's paid off I would have to think about it. 

That's not a bad price for a dealership job AT ALL, but no warranty on the replacement is a red flag. Sounds like a known ****** problem with that model. If you're paying a note I'd take the money and get another ride. If it's paid off I would have to think about it. 
The car is fully paid off 

The car is fully paid off 
Then I'd do some research and see if your particular model has ****** issues and decide from there. I had an Acura CL '02 that had the ****** replaced 2x. After the 2nd replacement I found out that they were notorious for their ****** issues. 

Then I'd do some research and see if your particular model has ****** issues and decide from there. I had an Acura CL '02 that had the ****** replaced 2x. After the 2nd replacement I found out that they were notorious for their ****** issues. 
Ok thank you man!  i was looking around and saw a 08 323 with 74k for 19k ... might just cop that

335 have turbos right?
ive heard they develop problems after a while.
I don't know about any problems with them. But my general concensus with that stuff is that for the most part, the parts will last so long you take care of em. If you're not constantly mashing the throttle and getting regular maintenance and not being stingy with parts (OEM only), you should be fine. Just be sure you can afford those parts.

If you look online, there are little calculators out there that help you determine the cost of OWNING the car and not just buying one. BMWs are machines no doubt, but you gotta have the dough to take proper care of the machine

335 have turbos right?

The high pressure fuel pump is the most common problem with the 335i/135i; Seems to randomly strike, some people have gone through a few while some people are still on the stock original one.

s14. Word, I feel you on all that. I'll probably just hold off on any upgrades and just go KA-T. 

335 have turbos right?

I don't know about any problems with them. But my general concensus with that stuff is that for the most part, the parts will last so long you take care of em. If you're not constantly mashing the throttle and getting regular maintenance and not being stingy with parts (OEM only), you should be fine. Just be sure you can afford those parts.

If you look online, there are little calculators out there that help you determine the cost of OWNING the car and not just buying one. BMWs are machines no doubt, but you gotta have the dough to take proper care of the machine

to me the whole point of buying such a car is to mash the throttle at any and every possible moment :lol:

what are some good articles tolearn more bout how a diesel works?

335 have turbos right?

The high pressure fuel pump is the most common problem with the 335i/135i; Seems to randomly strike, some people have gone through a few while some people are still on the stock original one.

this is what i heard about too but its only from the older models

i got a 2011 335i no problems so far :pimp:
and yea they got turbos two of em :pimp:

TAKE THE 12K

you boutta get more expensive problems as the miles go up

Last edited:
to me the whole point of buying such a car is to mash the throttle at any and every possible moment
laugh.gif

what are some good articles tolearn more bout how a diesel works?
Haha that's what you do to your weekender. Never to the DD which I'm assuming this is.

As for diesel, that's what industry I'm in. The main difference between diesel and gas is that diesel does not require spark plugs. It combusts/auto-ignites at higher pressure. And diesel engines operate at MUCH higher compression ratios. For reference, the average car runs at 8:1 and diesel 15:1.

Anything and everything you need to know about diesel you can find at www.dieselnet.com . That's what we use whenever we need a quick reference or even if we're looking into competitor technologies. 

Also, diesel is far more efficient than gasoline. If you get ultra high sulfur diesel, it also runs cleaner as well. For examples, see any VW TDI models

Last edited:
Whats better for me to do with the 12k, put a downpayment on a new car, or lease a new 3 series 
It's really up to you. Bimmers are beasts but so are the cost to own one. It's none of my business what your financial situation is but it seems like your well off. If you can afford to maintain and own one, then by all means lease one. If it were me, I would use the 12k for a downpayment on another car and that's just because at this point in my life (20 years old), I can't imagine myself getting a bimmer. I just have no use for it and I feel like it's something you buy as a status that you have achieved some sort of success in your career. I haven't even started my professional career yet. I feel like Luxury aren't just for people who have money but for people who have worked very hard to get where they are.I would use the 12k for a true sports car. Something that has just as much or more power than the BMW and is equally or more fun to drive. Cars I would personally get before the BMW-370z-2012+ Charger-5.0 Mustang GT-Challenger-FRS/BRZ-A used VetteIf you are looking for a comfortable car that has some power and kick to it, go for the BMW or even consider Audi. Some other great cars in that category are the Passat CC and the newer Maximas. Hope this helped

Back
Top Bottom