-The Official Car Discussion Thead-

It's really up to you. Bimmers are beasts but so are the cost to own one. It's none of my business what your financial situation is but it seems like your well off. If you can afford to maintain and own one, then by all means lease one. If it were me, I would use the 12k for a downpayment on another car and that's just because at this point in my life (20 years old), I can't imagine myself getting a bimmer. I just have no use for it and I feel like it's something you buy as a status that you have achieved some sort of success in your career. I haven't even started my professional career yet. I feel like Luxury aren't just for people who have money but for people who have worked very hard to get where they are.I would use the 12k for a true sports car. Something that has just as much or more power than the BMW and is equally or more fun to drive. Cars I would personally get before the BMW-370z-2012+ Charger-5.0 Mustang GT-Challenger-FRS/BRZ-A used VetteIf you are looking for a comfortable car that has some power and kick to it, go for the BMW or even consider Audi. Some other great cars in that category are the Passat CC and the newer Maximas. Hope this helped
Im only 20 , like you, and i just love german cars, after my VW, i dont want to buy just because i know after the 5 years itll burn a hole in my pocket, i do go to school full time and work 7 days a week , and my parents will help me with the payments , i also was looking at getting a Jeep wrangler , but i test drove a 1 series a few months back and i loved it. 

Im only 20 , like you, and i just love german cars, after my VW, i dont want to buy just because i know after the 5 years itll burn a hole in my pocket, i do go to school full time and work 7 days a week , and my parents will help me with the payments , i also was looking at getting a Jeep wrangler , but i test drove a 1 series a few months back and i loved it. 

That One series M is one of my favorite cars right now

I do love the newer Jeeps. They kinda grew out of that military/offroad look and into more of luxury SUV while . Black Jeeps are ill.

Not a fan of the one series, the car just seems squished to me. That's my opinion, if you like it, go for it. Just not my cup of tea. Again, I'm guilty of having the "well i could buy this car which has more power for the same amount of money" which can be bad sometimes because you are settling for the car that wasn't your first choice. There's nothing worst than buying a car that you are not 100% fully satisfied with. 

Like I said before, I can't rock with a BMW at this point in my life. If I'm getting one it's going to be a 335 coupe or a 5 series. Nothing less. If I'm getting a luxury car, I don't want to get an entry level one. 

I'm kind of biased towards Nissan. Love the GT-R and skylines as well as the Z. I plan on getting a Z in the next couple years. It's just a PURE sports car right down to it's bones. And it also has a classic heritage behind it. 

The Maxima's are definitely something to look into if I were in your position. Seems like you're going for more comfort than performance. The Maxima is very roomy and very luxurious. You can get a fairly used one fully loaded for under 30k. 

323 are severely underpowered. I just can't imagine getting a bimmer without some kick to it, that's just me. 335 or bust
they never made an e90 323i for the US. the 2012 328i are being praised right now with their new engine. however you cant go wrong with the 335i.
335 have turbos right?
ive heard they develop problems after a while.
depends. if you're getting the N54 powerplant (twin turbo 3.0L inline 6) then yes they are notorious for their high pressure fuel pump issues. those years end in 09. in 2010 i believe, they introduced a new 335i which has a N55 engine. its a 3.0L inline 6 with a twin-scroll single turbo which puts out identical output. the n55 is better for daily driver, where the n54 is better for tuners.
Haha that's what you do to your weekender. Never to the DD which I'm assuming this is.

As for diesel, that's what industry I'm in. The main difference between diesel and gas is that diesel does not require spark plugs. It combusts/auto-ignites at higher pressure. And diesel engines operate at MUCH higher compression ratios. For reference, the average car runs at 8:1 and diesel 15:1.

Anything and everything you need to know about diesel you can find at www.dieselnet.com . That's what we use whenever we need a quick reference or even if we're looking into competitor technologies. 

Also, diesel is far more efficient than gasoline. If you get ultra high sulfur diesel, it also runs cleaner as well. For examples, see any VW TDI models
 are you manufacturer specific? freightliner/mack/peterbilt/kensworth/volvo? diesels are crazy machines man, everything is BIGGER. lots of labor, but lots of $$$$.
Whats better for me to do with the 12k, put a downpayment on a new car, or lease a new 3 series 
depends, do you want to keep paying for possible future repairs? (new ****** @ 75k is rediculous), or do you want a trouble free NEW whip thats getting amazing rave reviews right now (328i with the n20b20 4cyl twin turbo engine)

if you have more questions about BMW feel free to PM. also, check out their CPO (certified pre-owned) they have 100k warranty and free road side assistance and stuff.. yeah i sound like a salesman, but its a real good deal!
That One series M is one of my favorite cars right now
Thats my dream car!!
I would use the 12k for a true sports car. Something that has just as much or more power than the BMW and is equally or more fun to drive. Cars I would personally get before the BMW-370z-2012+ Charger-5.0 Mustang GT-Challenger-FRS/BRZ-A used Vette If you are looking for a comfortable car that has some power and kick to it, go for the BMW or even consider Audi. Some other great cars in that category are the Passat CC and the newer Maximas. Hope this helped
So you're basically calling a charger, 370, challenger and a mustang more of a sports car then a bmw?
roll.gif

Theres a reason its called the "ultimate driving machine". Trust me, once you go bmw, you NEVER touch american. PERIOD. Its like eating filet mignon, and then going to burger king for their "angus steak" burgers. its NOT even close. Oh, and the 335i can smoke all those cars you listed around a track (exception of which vette). not sure where you base on whats a "sports car". I think you're very misinformed. lots of horsepower=/= sports car. just look at the s2000. that thing is a real sports car. the 370z is a joke. even the director of nissan himself said they plan to discontinue it because its too HEAVY. the FRS/BRZ did it right, lightweight and rear wheel drive.

Last edited:
are you manufacturer specific? freightliner/mack/peterbilt/kensworth/volvo? diesels are crazy machines man, everything is BIGGER. lots of labor, but lots of $$$$.

So you're basically calling a charger, 370, challenger and a mustang more of a sports car then a bmw?
roll.gif

Theres a reason its called the "ultimate driving machine". Trust me, once you go bmw, you NEVER touch american. PERIOD. Its like eating filet mignon, and then going to burger king for their "angus steak" burgers. its NOT even close. Oh, and the 335i can smoke all those cars you listed around a track (exception of which vette). not sure where you base on whats a "sports car". I think you're very misinformed. lots of horsepower=/= sports car. just look at the s2000. that thing is a real sports car. the 370z is a joke. even the director of nissan himself said they plan to discontinue it because its too HEAVY. the FRS/BRZ did it right, lightweight and rear wheel drive.
I am manufacturer specific and I do work for one of the companies listed but I prefer not to put the company name out there just to be safe.

And yes, I am calling them more of a sports car than BMW solely on the fact because a lot of the cars listed are built PURELY for sport. Nothing else. BMWs to me are luxury cars that double as performance car. But everything about the Z for example was designed and built with the enthusiast in mind.BMWs have comfort and luxury in mind along with performance.

You're jumping to a lot of conclusions here my friend. No where did I say HP = sports car, you said that. I know my cars, I know my engines, I know my powertrain. Because after all, I do work in that industry that actually deals with the engineering side of vehicles.

Like I told the dude, I don't need a BMW. They are beasts and probably my favorite manufacturer behind Nissan. I just can't imagine driving a BMW in my early 20s, it's just not practical.

Also, I've heard that rumor of discontinuing the Z line way back when but recently all rumors point to keep it going. The rumors of the mini-z and reincarnating the 240z next year for the anniversary of the Z

Last edited:
So you're basically calling a charger, 370, challenger and a mustang more of a sports car then a bmw? :rofl:

That Bimmer kool aid must be real good huh? A 2011 Mustang GT with the track package beat an E92 M3 in almost every single performance category and was within half a second of its lap time around Willow Springs. Not bad for an angus steak burger at half the price of the M3.

^

True but performance isnt everything IMO. It is to some people. I rather have some luxury and a well built car rather than a few tenths of a seconds faster around a track.

That's all well and good but i'm just stating the fact that some of these cars dude said are slower are clearly not. New 5.0 liter Mustangs are complete beasts, in a straight line and around a track. 335i will beat them all around a track except a Vette, uhhh no.

Last edited:
^

True but performance isnt everything IMO. It is to some people. I rather have some luxury and a well built car rather than a few tenths of a seconds faster around a track.

This.

Who cares how fast you far can go in a straight line, your racing red light to red light? I rather be comfortable and look good :pimp:

I am manufacturer specific and I do work for one of the companies listed but I prefer not to put the company name out there just to be safe.

And yes, I am calling them more of a sports car than BMW solely on the fact because a lot of the cars listed are built PURELY for sport. Nothing else. BMWs to me are luxury cars that double as performance car. But everything about the Z for example was designed and built with the enthusiast in mind.BMWs have comfort and luxury in mind along with performance.

You're jumping to a lot of conclusions here my friend. No where did I say HP = sports car, you said that. I know my cars, I know my engines, I know my powertrain. Because after all, I do work in that industry that actually deals with the engineering side of vehicles.

Like I told the dude, I don't need a BMW. They are beasts and probably my favorite manufacturer behind Nissan. I just can't imagine driving a BMW in my early 20s, it's just not practical.

Also, I've heard that rumor of discontinuing the Z line way back when but recently all rumors point to keep it going. The rumors of the mini-z and reincarnating the 240z next year for the anniversary of the Z
I'm also an employee of a car company (guess who!) and I can assure you that you're getting BMW and Mercedes mixed up. Mercedes is a luxury car that also builds performance cars too.

However, BMW makes sports cars. Every single BMW made is as close to 50/50 weight distribution as possible. Hell, they even relocate the batteries to the trunk for better weight distribution.

Sorry I jumped conclusions, but you had a list of vw passats and nissan maximas as "better sports cars" than bmws. I had to say something!
That Bimmer kool aid must be real good huh? A 2011 Mustang GT with the track package beat an E92 M3 in almost every single performance category and was within half a second of its lap time around Willow Springs. Not bad for an angus steak burger at half the price of the M3.
yeah, and that 5.0 surely does deserve its props. I'm a mustang enthusiast as well, and hopefully can own a terminator in a year or two. but a mustang is a pony car. I've seen the reviews and they praise it, but in that test you're talking about, they even admit that the M3 wins not because of the engine, but the superior chassis. ford recently updated their powerplant when bmw was using their 4.0L since 2007!

but ANYWAYS. You're right, i'll give ONE example its props. However, i still stand by what i said.

Oh and this kool aid is made by the best in the world baby!

I'm also an employee of a car company (guess who!) and I can assure you that you're getting BMW and Mercedes mixed up. Mercedes is a luxury car that also builds performance cars too.

However, BMW makes sports cars. Every single BMW made is as close to 50/50 weight distribution as possible. Hell, they even relocate the batteries to the trunk for better weight distribution.

Sorry I jumped conclusions, but you had a list of vw passats and nissan maximas as "better sports cars" than bmws. I had to say something!

yeah, and that 5.0 surely does deserve its props. I'm a mustang enthusiast as well, and hopefully can own a terminator in a year or two. but a mustang is a pony car. I've seen the reviews and they praise it, but in that test you're talking about, they even admit that the M3 wins not because of the engine, but the superior chassis. ford recently updated their powerplant when bmw was using their 4.0L since 2007!

but ANYWAYS. You're right, i'll give ONE example its props. However, i still stand by what i said.

Oh and this kool aid is made by the best in the world baby!
yeah I feel you bro, but you also jumped to conclusions again lol. I never said a passat or maxima was a better sports car, i said they were comfortable cars with a kick to it. But yeah, i understand where you're coming from. I didn't use the best choice of words to word my argument.

And like I said, I do luxury cars. I love BMW more than any other luxury brand out there. But it's just not practical for a dude in their early 20s like me to own one of those. I can understand some dudes like MMG and 10 Piece owning one because they have been in the working world for quite some time. But for a dude who's looking to buy a car fresh outta college? Nah, a Bimmer wouldn't be the right choice.I come from a family that only drives Japanese cars. I love Honda and Nissan but I will admit without hesitation, the Germans engineer the best cars out there bar none. Forget the cost, forget all that, they make the best vehicles period.

Last edited:
stop generalizing. i'm in my early 20's and bought a c63 within a year out of college. only issue i've had is i want to buy a different car now as a daily driver strictly so i can keep the miles low on the benz since they're not going to be making any 6.3 liter engines moving forward so i want to have this car fooooooorever.

i prefer german cars over american cars, but would toy with the idea of owning either. i want performance, but at the same time, you want some luxury to go with it when you're spending that much.

The thread is kind of going into a pissing match with out any real substance.

How about we change the topic for a sec what would you guys say are good cars in a 35-45k price range?

^

This.

Who cares how fast you far can go in a straight line, your racing red light to red light? I rather be comfortable and look good :pimp:

Paying more for less? Yea.....not for me.

How about we change the topic for a sec what would you guys say are good cars in a 35-45k price range?

Audi A4 and A6 :pimp:

Question what are your guys opinions on hatch backs? Within the next year I wanna make a move to a different car ( preferably diesel ) I'm looking at the New Jetta / New Golf 7 which is due in 2014 and new Audi A3 also due in 2014, is the hatchback more for the younger dudes ? I'm in my 20s :nerd:

Audi A4 and A6 :pimp:
Question what are your guys opinions on hatch backs? Within the next year I wanna make a move to a different car ( preferably diesel ) I'm looking at the New Jetta / New Golf 7 which is due in 2014 andnew Audi A3 also due in 2014, is the hatchback more for the younger dudes ? I'm in my 20s :nerd:

Are they going to bring the s3 to the us?

Audi A4 and A6
pimp.gif

Question what are your guys opinions on hatch backs? Within the next year I wanna make a move to a different car ( preferably diesel ) I'm looking at the New Jetta / New Golf 7 which is due in 2014 and new Audi A3 also due in 2014, is the hatchback more for the younger dudes ? I'm in my 20s
nerd.gif
Right now, I like bigger cars. I love hatches though, especially golfs. I don't see hatches for younger dudes, I see grown men at my gym driving GTIs. They're cheaper and more fun to drive.
stop generalizing. i'm in my early 20's and bought a c63 within a year out of college. only issue i've had is i want to buy a different car now as a daily driver strictly so i can keep the miles low on the benz since they're not going to be making any 6.3 liter engines moving forward so i want to have this car fooooooorever.
i prefer german cars over american cars, but would toy with the idea of owning either. i want performance, but at the same time, you want some luxury to go with it when you're spending that much.
I stand by my statement. Agree to disagree. There's just no way you're going to convince me that a BMW/Benz is a practical choice for the average new college graduate buying a car.
Depends on what you want.

-How old are you?

-Performance/Luxury/Both?

-Daily Driver?

-Car or SUV

-Family?

Without having the answers to any of those questions, If I had that money to spend on a car I would get a BMW 3 series coupe or the new SRT Charger. Can't go wrong with either.

Dat red leather interior
pimp.gif

Thoughts on the Accord Crosstour? Was considering getting rid of my 2012 Charger for one.
If you need the space, do it. The Crosstour is awesome. But other than that, I would personally keep the Charger. Wasn't a fan of the previous generation but the new one is BEAUTIFUL

^

This.

yes i rather go fast. who cares about looking good when they'll only see me for a split second.

personally i care more for speed than looks. but to each their own.

to me the whole point of buying such a car is to mash the throttle at any and every possible moment :lol:

what are some good articles tolearn more bout how a diesel works?
Haha that's what you do to your weekender. Never to the DD which I'm assuming this is.

As for diesel, that's what industry I'm in. The main difference between diesel and gas is that diesel does not require spark plugs. It combusts/auto-ignites at higher pressure. And diesel engines operate at MUCH higher compression ratios. For reference, the average car runs at 8:1 and diesel 15:1.

Anything and everything you need to know about diesel you can find at www.dieselnet.com . That's what we use whenever we need a quick reference or even if we're looking into competitor technologies. 

Also, diesel is far more efficient than gasoline. If you get ultra high sulfur diesel, it also runs cleaner as well. For examples, see any VW TDI models

also does anyone use diesel for performance cars?

Back
Top Bottom