The Official College Thread Vol. Best College Thread Ever!!!!!

Originally Posted by dland24

Well, here's all you need to know. Classes, nothing before 11. Beer, its your best friend, you drink a lot of it. Women, you're a freshman, so its pretty much out of the question. Will you have a car? ... Someone on your hall will, find them and make friends with them on the first day ...
He's a freshman, dude. Good luck getting into those generals anytime after 11 my g.
roll.gif
And I hope you meant women are out of the question as in there are so many that there's no question you should be able to get play.

I highly doubt anyone on NT will ever attend my school, but if anyone is attending a private catholic university in Minnesota, holla at me.
roll.gif

Other than that, people who are looking to major in computer science...be sure to get familiar with at least a couple languages before taking your first class. Some dude signed up for an intro to computer problem solving class, sat next to me, and asked what HTML was the first day. Needless to say, he didn't last long.
roll.gif
If you have a mac, you can get by. But it's a lot easier just to bootcamp some version of Windows on your machine because all of your classes will be using Windows machines (unless its a special class,) and more often than not the applications they use aren't on multiple platforms. More times than not, your computer science department can hook you up with a free/reduced version of Windows. And if not, ask your professors as they often have product keys literally just lying around. If all else fails...you're majoring in computer science. If you can't figure out how to get it by another means, you need to reconsider your field.

Something not a lot of people look into: internal scholarships. A lot of times, schools offer scholarships specifically for their students only. And you have to apply through a department (like the multicultural student department or something.) They vary in amount and difficulty of application, but I got a full ride because of the city I lived in. You never really know whats out there, so ask. Schedule a meeting with your financial aid person BEFORE you enroll in classes. That way you won't have to transfer after your first semester because you didn't know what was to come.

Other than that, find your other turtles within the first couple weekends if you don't already have homies at the school. Word to Ninjahood.

Originally Posted by jm2000

Class wise
- Try to go to every class
- Go to profs office hours
- Become very cool with your profs. They'll look out with grades, recommendations, etc.
- Sit in front of class.
- Study your @!+ off when you don't know something.

Upon doing that you got yourself a C. The rest is up to you on how you get your A.

Wait... what??

dland, pick a more obscure movie next time.

Class wise
- Try to go to every class
- Go to profs office hours
- Become very cool with your profs. They'll look out with grades, recommendations, etc.
- Sit in front of class.
- Study your @!+ off when you don't know something.

Upon doing that you got yourself a C. The rest is up to you on how you get your A.

Wait... what??

Those requesting info about the University of Michigan ask away.

I'll drop info this thread gets going, but I'll always respond to individual questions. I worked in admissions during my undergrad so I can pretty much answer any question. Literally worked in every aspect of it. Gave tours, orientation, application review, manned the phones, etc. I could probably write a book...

Can help out with law school advice as well. But if you're just getting into undergrad I would suggest you stop thinking about that. Keep your med school/law school/dental school/etc. goal, but don't be worried about the specifics in the first year. You'll get to that later.

Those requesting info about the University of Michigan ask away.

I'll drop info this thread gets going, but I'll always respond to individual questions. I worked in admissions during my undergrad so I can pretty much answer any question. Literally worked in every aspect of it. Gave tours, orientation, application review, manned the phones, etc. I could probably write a book...

Can help out with law school advice as well. But if you're just getting into undergrad I would suggest you stop thinking about that. Keep your med school/law school/dental school/etc. goal, but don't be worried about the specifics in the first year. You'll get to that later.

@HankMoody

One of my profs told me this last fall semester. Basically if you go to every class, sit in the front, visit their office hours and get to know them, then you basically got yourself a C. By doing this you automatically understand more than half of the criteria for the course and have a basic understanding of the information. And you also become a friend to them.

@HankMoody

One of my profs told me this last fall semester. Basically if you go to every class, sit in the front, visit their office hours and get to know them, then you basically got yourself a C. By doing this you automatically understand more than half of the criteria for the course and have a basic understanding of the information. And you also become a friend to them.

good thread, im starting in a month: summer session. gonna be entering as a freshman so im still new to college life. im studying to be a pharmacist but my passion is art, i dunno if i wanna switch majors. art = love; pharmacy = money...still on the fence about pharmacy though i dont have the slightest clue about it nor do i have any passion for it.

good thread, im starting in a month: summer session. gonna be entering as a freshman so im still new to college life. im studying to be a pharmacist but my passion is art, i dunno if i wanna switch majors. art = love; pharmacy = money...still on the fence about pharmacy though i dont have the slightest clue about it nor do i have any passion for it.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Wait really?

PCU isnt a well known movie on NT?  GREAT movie about a college.  Classic Jeremy Piven.  You all must be young. 

Wait really?

PCU isnt a well known movie on NT?  GREAT movie about a college.  Classic Jeremy Piven.  You all must be young. 

@HankMoody

Dude, if you do all this and get anything below a B, heck B+, something is wrong with you. This is far and beyond what most college students do. Going to every class and doing average work basically guarantees at least a B- unless it's a REALLY hard class.

@HankMoody

Dude, if you do all this and get anything below a B, heck B+, something is wrong with you. This is far and beyond what most college students do. Going to every class and doing average work basically guarantees at least a B- unless it's a REALLY hard class.

GO TO EVERY PROFESSOR'S OFFICE HOURS.  Make them know your name.  It's worth at least half a letter grade.  

@HankMoody

laugh.gif
dude thought i was gonna do all that just for a C

GO TO EVERY PROFESSOR'S OFFICE HOURS.  Make them know your name.  It's worth at least half a letter grade.  

@HankMoody

laugh.gif
dude thought i was gonna do all that just for a C

Originally Posted by GreyFoxx

Don't waste your time studying something because you'll make money from it.

Study what you love. If you really love it, you'll find a way to make a living out of it.

Originally Posted by GreyFoxx

Don't waste your time studying something because you'll make money from it.

Study what you love. If you really love it, you'll find a way to make a living out of it.

Back
Top Bottom