THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Only if Jelan and Roscoe say no.

That's another Dave Cox recruit, bad grades, big time athlete, raw skills, same AAU team as Latavious.

If he waits till spring that'd be good as things can change, but he's the 3rd priority right now. If all 3 wait till spring, which it seems like they should, we'll definitely land one of them, and they're all good prospects

So Jelan to Memphis, Mitchell to Misouri...leaves us with Roscoe? What are the chances we land him?

[h3]Top 100 recruit narrows list[/h3]
8:45AM ET

[h5]Roscoe Smith | Interested: Blue Devils?, Hoyas?, Huskies?[/h5]http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors
Roscoe Smith is one of several players in ESPNU's top 20 who still haven't committed to college but now the swingman says he has a favorite school.

The 6-foot-8 Smith told Dave Borges of The New Haven Register has narrowed his choices down to Duke, Georgetown, and Connecticut. According to Smith, he won't reveal his favorite school but will probably announce his commitment in the fall and then sign an NLI in the spring.

While Smith has good things to say about all the schools, he practically raves about Georgetown -- which could be a very good sign for the Hoyas. "I had a lot of fun down there, a lot of fun. Everybody was cool, laid-back. The players welcomed me with open arms, the coaches were real cool," said Smith about the Big East school.

[h5]Scouts Inc.[/h5]
Smith a Rudy Gay/Rip Hamilton Hybrid?
"What is known in Smith's recruiting world is Connecticut and Georgetown, a pair of Big East Conference heavyweights. Georgetown's history, coaching staff and proximity to his house appealed to Smith. He was also "very comfortable among the players; it meant a lot to me," Smith said. UConn coach Jim Calhoun told Smith he is a hybrid of Baltimore native Rudy Gay and Richard "Rip" Hamilton, both who were first round selections and carve a niche in Huskies' lore. "That's a great complement," Smith said of Calhoun's praise. "Coach Calhoun is a funny guy; that's something I learned."

I'd say pretty good right now. But anything can happen. It'd just be a BIG coincidence that Mitchell and Kendrick decide the 2 days after Roscoe callsup JTIII

The guys gota keep temple off the boards tomorrow. should be a good test

17 mins for Sims against tulane
mad.gif
. Hope that changes soon.

Ya, but credit to Julian, he looks like a different player. Just neeeded 40-45 quality mintues outa those 2

Pretty good start to the season, granted it was against a subpar and small Tulane squad. Could have done without the annoying duo of Tulane announcers whogave the 2nd half technical foul as an excuse for losing every 30 seconds. Good to see the Big Three in Monroe, Freeman, and Wright, as well as Jason Clark,dropping double-digit points as well as a double-double in Monroe's case. He definitely seems more versatile and aggressive than he did last year. Confidence seems to be pretty high in the Hoya camp. Surprised to see Julian Vaughn open up the game strong with some points from the perimeter and someoffensive boards. It looks like he's been working hard. Would like to see more minutes from Sims. Hollis didn't have much of a game, but it was hisfirst. With some more PT, I think we can see some good things from him. Now, we open up at home against Temple (minus googly-eyed wizard Chaney) Hoping tosee some good things against a Temple team, that's much stronger on the boards than Tulane. Was there back in '04 for JTIII's debut in the lossagainst Temple, so I'm looking for some revenge. Should be a good test. HOYAS, GET BIG.

ESPN.com's preview of today's game...

Georgetown's Greg Monroe had a successful homecoming in the season opener.Now, the rest of the Hoyas hope to experience a happy homecoming of their own.
Monroe leads No. 23 Georgetown into its home opener at the Verizon Center onTuesday afternoon, when the Hoyas will face two-time defending Atlantic 10 champion Temple.Monroe, who grew up in the New Orleans area, had 18 points and 11rebounds Friday to lead Georgetown to a 74-58 season-opening victory at Tulane. Picking up where he left off after a freshman season in which he averaged 12.7points and had four double-doubles, the 6-foot-11 center thrived in front of his own cheering section behind the visiting bench."My main focus coming inwas to get the win," Monroe said, "and me and my teammates accomplished all that we wanted to accomplish. Coming in I knew we would have good fansupport. It was everything I expected coming in."Austin Freeman scored 16points, Jason Clark had 13 and Chris Wright added 11 to help the Hoyas win their fifth consecutive season opener.The lasttime they lost their season opener was also the last time they faced Temple. The Owls beat Georgetown 75-57 in the nation's capital Nov. 22, 2004, spoilingJohn Thompson III's debut coaching the Hoyas. The victory was Temple's third straight over Georgetown, and gave the Owls a 21-13 edge in the all-timeseries.The Owls are 3-0 all-time at the Verizon Center.Though Temple is coming off consecutive Atlantic 10 titles and 20-win seasons, the Owls are a team intransition following the graduation of star guard and leading scorer Dionte Christmas. They looked ready to pick up the slack in their season opener Saturday,shooting 50 percent from the field in a 76-56 victory at Delaware."No one person can replace Dionte Christmas," said junior forward Lavoy Allen, a preseason first-team Atlantic 10 selection."So we all have tocontribute."Allen contributed nine points and a game-high 15 rebounds, while senior guard Ryan Brooks appeared ready to assume Christmas' leading-scorer mantle with a career-high23 points. Brooks shot 8 of 14 and added nine rebounds.Sophomore guard Juan Fernandezhad 14 points for Temple in his first career start, while senior Luis Guzman andjunior Craig Williams scored eight apiece. Williams, who came off the bench in theopener after starting seven games in 2008-09, shot 3 for 3 but sprained his knee on his final field-goal attempt. He's listed as day to day and isuncertain for this contest.Temple is seeking its third straight 2-0 start. Georgetown is looking to open with consecutive victories for the fifth straightyear.

Rebound and stick Jason on Brooks and we should be OK

Getting through this one would be very nice, and then let the young guys come along some more before they hit NYC

damn i was gonna go to this game...oh well

I havent seen in gtown ball this year...so today will be my first

im wondering how chris austin and greg look... Saw Jason and Austin in the Kenner this summer and I did see improvement.

This game shouldnt be TOO tough

hoya saxa?

man. i got off a plane at halftime and went straight to this airport bar to catch the 2nd half.

not a great game at all. lot of the same douchebaggery that we did last year. the thing that he me pissed the most was late in the game, coming out of atimeout, the play that we ran results in a prayer 3 thrown up just to beat the shot clock. that's the best we can come up with?

[nfl countdown crew]c'mon man[/nfl countdown crew]

I think too much will probably be made of this because of last year...certainly shades of the collapse, but they pulled this one out.

It is still November basketball against a quality with an odd start time/day.

Lot to work on but good to leave with the win and see greg WANT the ball. Lot of work, though...

They looked terrible out there. _'s still look super confused on offense and when that backdoor or open jumper isn't there...nobody but Chris andAustin want to shoot the ball. Greg literally ran away from the ball at times tonight. He REALLY didn't want to take that last shot. When he got it helooked to get it back to Chris but he noticed Allen was overplaying him and went right past him. No depth. It's still early but Hollis should be alotfurther along than he has seeing as though he knows it. But if _'s that's been here for 3 years look lost then I can't fault him. I'm shockedthey let Temple play them this close. They literally have not a single player who can create off the dribble except for Guzman and he didn't score a singlepoint.

Also...that ANNOYING ++++#%+ spin dribble that the guards do for no reason at the top of the key needs to die immediately.

Ugly game.

on greg's and 1, the TV's caught him sayin "give me the +!++!@* ball" while he was on the ground

and him and chris got into a little argument when greg rolled off a screen and chris didn't find him.

By no means is he aggressive as he should be yet, but he's getting there. For Jeff, it finally clicked 2 and a half years in to be THEE man.

Butler/UW/ODU stretch will tell us a lot about this team

Originally Posted by Im Not You

They looked terrible out there. _'s still look super confused on offense and when that backdoor or open jumper isn't there...nobody but Chris and Austin want to shoot the ball. Greg literally ran away from the ball at times tonight. He REALLY didn't want to take that last shot. When he got it he looked to get it back to Chris but he noticed Allen was overplaying him and went right past him. No depth. It's still early but Hollis should be alot further along than he has seeing as though he knows it. But if _'s that's been here for 3 years look lost then I can't fault him. I'm shocked they let Temple play them this close. They literally have not a single player who can create off the dribble except for Guzman and he didn't score a single point.
pretty much everything i wanted to say.

dajuan being gone meant the offense could flow through Monroe, however, it seems no one knows who is and no one wants to be the offensive catalyst. Monroeneeds to make the left block his home and it needs to be fed to him EVERY possession.

I think we need to force Hollis into the starting five and push Clark to 6th man roll. Use Clark as a ben gordon type reserve.
Also...that ANNOYING ++++#%+ spin dribble that the guards do for no reason at the top of the key needs to die immediately.
i thought that died once rivers left, guess i was wrong. that spin dribble does absolutely nothing and serves no purpose.
By no means is he aggressive as he should be yet, but he's getting there. For Jeff, it finally clicked 2 and a half years in to be THEE man.
when NBA scouts are saying you're a top 5/10 pick after one year, then you NEED to know you're the man.

At some point JT3 needs to let his team play their game. They got the ability and they got the know how, the system is continually putting them in a positionto second guess themselves.

i hear you, but we just need to see what happens

we've seen damn good G'Town teams have dog games like this. I know Tulane is no good, but they did really play well in the 2nd half down there andlooked good on O.

It's just tough to gauge right now where this team is or will be..I have faith it's gona click in this year

which is why I initially didn't want to post anything. I think Im Not You's post made me want to post my frustrations. Lets move on and hope this getsfixed asap because that stretch of games in early December will be tough.

Vernon Macklin ahd 13 and 8 with 3 blocks against a bum Stetson team on Sunday. Will be keeping an eye on him all year

^ that should be interesting. from the looks of it, sims = macklin 2.0 . Lets hope JT3 doesn't waste that type of talent again.

really hoping Roscoe says no to coach K and suits up for us...looks like uconn is out of the picture

Also, a little something on Chris Wright from ESPN Insider, following his wannabe Rucker Park, Skip to my Lou, AND1 mixtape, halfcourt-spin performance againstTemple...

In high school, Chris Wright was a scorer. Entering Georgetown, he was expected to step into the role and be a distributor. Seems like something got lost intranslation upon Wright's transition.

In Tuesday's game against Temple, Wright seemed out of sorts at times. The guard spun his way to 15 points, but two turnovers on zero assists. At times,Georgetown's offense slowed to a crawl. Coach John Thompson III still trusts Wright.

Said Thompson III, "He's [Wright] a junior now, and he's at a different place than he was last year, as we all are. Chris Wright is an extremelycompetitive player. He wants to win, first and foremost. I have every confidence in his abilities to run our team and put us in positions to besuccessful."

Some G-Town fans may chaff that Wright is still a point guard. One solution would be to move Wright off the ball -- letting him take advantage of his naturalscoring ability -- and let Austin Freeman use his powerful body to drive to the basket.

Back
Top Bottom