THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Looking forward to seeing Vee's debut today.

Benimon still isn't healthy.

Good chance for Henry to get a lot of time today.

Austin, Jason and Chris making shots will always make things better.

Julian and Greg..FREE THROWS.

Looked like Hollis got some more time at the 4 today, and I think he'll really come on strong this year, but Henry's gota be forced fed some moreminutes there.

Just keep improving till Butler..

GU VS LAFAYETTE PREVIEW (courtesy of ESPN.com)

Georgetown bounced back nicely after a poor home opener. Now, coach John Thompson III gets to see how his team responds following a long gap between games.

In their first contest in a week, the 18th-ranked Hoyas look to post a second straight dominant performance as they host Lafayette on Saturday.

Though it is undefeated and playing outstanding defense, Georgetown (3-0) had a tough time in its first home game, getting the go-ahead basket from Greg Monroewith 6.5 seconds to play in a 46-45 win over Temple on Nov. 17. The Hoyas shot 35.7 percent and had more turnovers (16) than baskets (15).

In its next game, Georgetown shot 53.8 percent (7 for 13) from 3-point range and 53.1 overall (26 for 49) in a 63-44 victory at Savannah State last Saturday.

The Hoyas, though, hope they've remained sharp during a weeklong break. Jason Clark, in particular, is expected to show continued development.

The sophomore guard had a career-high 14 points last weekend after being held to eight against the Owls.

"The number of points Jason scores is irrelevant," Thompson said. "He plays great defense and he's a very unselfish player. He's at thecore of what we're doing this year. He's going to have a lot more than 14 as we go along."

Clark posted 5.2 points per game as a freshman reserve, but he's one of four players scoring in double figures. He's averaging 11.7 points and shooting50.0 percent (9 for 18) from beyond the arc.

Monroe, another sophomore, leads the Hoyas with 14.0 points and 9.0 rebounds a contest. The 6-foot-11 center has had a strong start after being named Big Eastrookie of the year.

Monroe is averaging 1.4 blocks and 1.8 steals in his career and is a big part of a defense that has held opponents to 49.0 points per game, 18.2 percentshooting from 3-point range and 33.3 percent shooting overall.

Lafayette (4-1) is averaging 78.8 points while shooting 51.5 percent. The Leopards are coming off their best shooting performance of the season, making 61.4percent of their attempts in an 86-82 win over Hartford on Tuesday night.

Another poor effort defensively, though, almost left Lafayette with a loss. The Leopards led by as many as 22 in the first half but surrendered 51 second-halfpoints.

Lafayette has surrendered an average of 72.8 points.

Jared Mintz leads a Leopards team that has four players averaging double figures in scoring, posting 18.6 points to go with 7.2 rebounds per game.

Lafayette likely needs another big performance from Mintz to have any chance of beating a Top 25 team for the first time since defeating then-No. 6 Rutgers77-70 on Dec. 2, 1978.

The Hoyas are 8-5 against the Leopards, winning 65-60 in the last meeting Dec. 26, 1979.

wana see more of Vee...lota minutes for Henry.

Watched Florida tonight, Vern DEFINITELY woulda helped this team this year.

And it looks like Roscoe will be a Hoya...still crossing my fingers. A class of him, lubick and Starks would be big time.

smokin.gif
..I like this team.

Hollis
pimp.gif

Jason
pimp.gif

Henryyyyy
smokin.gif
...kid makes plays, just needs to get comfortable and not getlost.

"I could use a lot of adjectives to describe Jason [Clark] and resourceful is one of them," Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said. "He is playing at a very high level right now, and the game just comes to him. The game comes easy; he's extremely unselfish. He's making the shots. Today he did a little bit of everything."

"That's Hollis [Thompson]," he said. "I don't know what the season stats are, but I don't think he shot well in the games yet. Today is who he is. He can really put the ball in the basket."

"I liked the way our zone offense looked," Coach Thompson said. "Even in the first half I liked the way our zone offense looked. We would've gotten them out of the zone if we got stops at the other end because we were scoring points, but we were trading baskets."

"We're going to make foul shots," Coach Thompson said. "We were shooting a horrific percentage from the foul line, so yes we've gotten a little more work in. I haven't had anyone come on my couch yet and have foul-shooting sessions, but they're going to go in."

"There's a little kid, number three, [Allen] Iverson that retired," Coach Thompson said. "For his whole career - high school through his last pro game - everyone talked about, 'He's too little, he's going to wear down,' but he hadn't yet. In that regard [he and Clark] are similar, in terms of their motor. You look at him and you say, 'Oh a scrawny little kid,' but he doesn't get tired."

"The two guys behind me," Thompson said, motioning towards Monroe and Clark. "Along with Chris [Wright] and Austin [Freeman] are going to play big minutes. They know that and they have physically prepared for that and mentally."

Didn't catch the game, just got updates from LMB. Vaughn get bumped from the starting line-up? for good? Or is this just JT3 playing the matchups?

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Didn't catch the game, just got updates from LMB. Vaughn get bumped from the starting line-up? for good? Or is this just JT3 playing the matchups?
julian started

^thanks for clearing it up. briefly looked on my phone while at the hospital on saturday and thought it showed hollis and clark as starters.

Hollis did get a lot of minutes at the 4 again. He's handled that role well so far.

GEORGETOWN VS MOUNT ST MARY'S PREVIEW

Last season, Georgetown had a week off before facing Mount St. Mary's and ended up needing to hold on for a victory.

This time, the No. 18 Hoyas will have had just two days to get ready as they host the Mountaineers on Monday night.

Mount St. Mary's came to Georgetown on Dec. 20 having managed three wins in its first nine games, but held the Hoyas to a then-season low 38 percentshooting. The Mountaineers pulled within six with less than four minutes to go, but were then held off the scoreboard until 1:20 remained.

"I'm not sure I'm pleased with anyone," coach John Thompson III said following the 69-58 victory. "We did not play well."

Georgetown (4-0) comes into this season's matchup having bounced back from a poor home opener. The Hoyas barely defeated Temple on Nov. 17, winning 46-45,but followed with a 19-point win over Savannah State four days later and got a week off before Saturday's 97-64 drubbing of Lafayette.

They had six players score in double figures for the first time in Thompson's six seasons, led by Jason Clark with a career-high 19 points.

"I don't go into a game saying: 'We need four, five, six guys in double figures,'" Thompson said. "We have a bunch of guys in thatlocker room that can score points. Who scores the points is irrelevant to this group."

Georgetown will have had its shortest break between games so far this season when it faces the Mountaineers.

Thompson's team has limited opponents to 52.8 points a game and 35.9 percent shooting, but will take on a Mount St. Mary's squad that is also playingstrong defense. The Mountaineers have given up 59.0 points per game on 36.0 percent from the field since a season-opening 95-71 loss to then-No. 17 Oklahoma onNov. 14.

The Mountaineers (3-2), the preseason Northeast Conference favorite, have held opponents to less than 70 points in 52 of their 72 games over the past threeseasons.

They are coming off a 65-56 overtime win at Navy on Saturday night. Senior guard Jeremy Goode scored 18 points after being held to a season-low seven in a74-64 loss to Niagara on Saturday.

Goode, averaging a team-best 16.6 points, managed eight on 2-of-12 shooting in last season's defeat to the Hoyas.

Chris Wright led Georgetown in that game with 19 points and seven rebounds.

Georgetown has won 20 of 25 meetings between the nation's oldest Catholic universities, its most recent loss in the series coming Jan. 18, 1961. Mount St.Mary's is 1-14 against ranked opponents since joining Division I in 1988-89.

Really think this team might be quite good if Henry Sims comes along.

Julian is night and day from last year.

Jason Clark and Hollis Thompson are very good. Jason in particular.

Greg's been more assertive and rebounding much better this year, good to see him at least try to go right, won't happen if he never tries.

Chris hit's the 3 ball and it will mean a lot for the offense.

The perimeter defense needs to improve, closing out and making the right rotations. that'd be my biggest gripe so far. Inside we really won't be ableto tell until the Big east season.

* Vee really might end up being a diamond in the rough, he's gotten the Wallace comparisons but he can do more things athletically than jon ever could. Theintangibles of jon are hard to match, though.

Both he and Benimon should become solid, improving 4 year players..something the program has been void off this and last year.

^Vee looking good. Quick first step, hope he can make his way into the regular rotation.

Vaugn's improvement from last year truly is amazing. Didn't think he could play with that kind of energy and poise.

And you're right, if Sims can come around by BE play, this team will be right there at the end.

great to see guys other than the big three playing well, even though obviously greg's double double (19/10) and chris' big threes were major. vaughnhas thoroughly impressed me this season. i know he worked really hard in the offseason and it's showing offensively and defensively, with rebounding,postups, and putbacks. definitely has become an important part of this team. clark has really stepped up to the spotlight these past few games. he'stalented, he knows he is, and he's showing it. great to see. these guys aren't scared and they're going after it. i also like what i see fromhollis, i think he's gonna be more and more important as we get deeper into the season, particularly during BE play. nice to see other guys come off thebench and put in some good minutes. i have a gut feeling that vee is going to be something great. he's got a lot of swagger for a freshman off the bench,could be an integral piece. this team's got more depth than people think. keep up the good work. looking fwd to seeing em play at the garden on tuesday.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Hollis reminds me of a consistently good Brandon Bowman.
Didn't think about it, but you're right.

nikita reminds me of matt causey...as in horrible white man with no place on this team.
Causey was decent, carried us that one year in the BE tourney.

He was great at MSG that game, but really that just pissed me off that Esh never played him before that.

the dude loved to dribble like skip to my lou and chris wright, but most of the time, couldn't get it in the bucket. i'd rather take ashanti cook(word to downyboy) and jon wallace.

causey also told people in class that he was gonna go pro and probably wasn't gonna stick around school much. that's the laugh of the day.

Back
Top Bottom