THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Definitely can't know him for that.

He would have been the de facto go to guy had he stayed. Although not sure if that's saying much considering we struggled to get him shots when he had the hot hand this year.

I think an extra year of development would have suited him well.

Nonetheless, good luck and maybe we'll be able to some day put his jersey up in McDonough.

If there is an upside to it at all; At least Devonta Pollard doesn't see quite the log jam anymore. He could possibly step in and start now at SF. Visiting on the 16th.

Hollis/Greg/Otto 2-4 would have been really, really good though.

We're back at it! At long last, it's Midnight Madness time! The first official practice for the 2012-13 Georgetown Hoyas. An exciting season awaits us as the squad prepares for another tough campaign. Gone are the Heart and Soul combo of Jason Clark and Henry Sims of the New York Knicks. Oh, and the one-dimensional Hollis Thompson, who somehow has found himself on the OKC Thunder. Good luck to all three in the league. The heir to the throne is now Otto Porter, whose impressive play over last season helped him win the hearts of Hoya fans everywhere. While speculation persists that he will leave for the draft after this season, let's just hope he continues to develop and get better and stay healthy and be the name that opposing fans curse when they play us.

This is an exciting time to see the team continue to grow. We get to see guys like Greg Whittington and Mikael Hopkins continue to develop and reach their high level of potential. I'd like to see more out of JT5. He's got NBA aspirations, but so far, I haven't seen much to make me think that he's got a shot. After a subpar season, Markel Starks returns to the point guard position. Hope he's worked hard over the summer. The Hoyas will be counting on him to be more of a floor general. Power forward Nate Lubick also returns to the Hilltop for another season. While his offensive production may not be notable, his ability to rebound aggressively makes him an important part of this team. I'd like to see more out of Jabril Trawick. He's got NBA aspirations, but so far, I haven't seen much yet to make me think that he's got a shot. Maybe he should stop Instagramming his daily dinners and sneaker selections and focus more on getting it done on the hardwood this season.

Top recruit D'Vauntes Smith Rivera of basketball powerhouse Oak Hill Academy is hot on JT5's heels for the 2 spot, so JT5 is going to really have to put in work and prove himself. Rivera helps lead a very strong recruiting class along with other top recruit Stephen Domingo and big men Bradley Hayes and Brandon Bolden. Not sure what the status is for Moses Ayegba and Tyler Adams, but if they're both playing, they provide some good depth at the power forward/center position.

John Caprio. What else is there to say? I'm going to lobby for more playing time for him.

GET BIG, DO WORK.

If Makel/DSR share the back court - this will be a year that is a step backwards. Good thing is I don't think DSR can hold Jabril's jock right now & III insists DSR is a PG so at least he hasn't started to think about playing two 6'1 kids together yet.

Otto and Greg have a lot on their plate this year. It's a big year for a variety of reasons for this program.

Adams isn't playing. Which sucks, as I don't expect much from Moses. Time for Mikael to step up.

I think a similar year to last is in order. Solid with a good chance to play into the 2nd weekend of the tournament but a lot is contingent on Greg making the jump. I believe he will. Otto is just about a given to me. He'll be one of the better players in the country.

Things that really annoy me: Kenya Hunter and Mike Brennan are still employed for reasons beyond me.

I feel like tonight has to be a joke. Doug E. Fresh. :smh:. "Kickin it Old School" must be code for either we're too out of touch or cheap to actually doing something worthwhile that appeals to kids.

We shoulda gotten Dom Kennedy or ASAP Rocky. Not a 80 year old "OG" rapper who believes in aliens and Tom Cruise.

Glad the season is right around the corner.

Midnight madness was a complete joke. Doug E Fresh asking the audience if they knew who Chuck Brown was? He obviously doesn't know the student body. :smh:

Nice to see we got Two Chainz on the squad this year.

Hopkins and Adams were looking lean. Is adams cleared to play or is he pretty much out of the picture?

Love the return of more kente.

Will be the first year without season tix since I graduated, and to top it off no Gtown bar in sight. Buffalo wild wings better come through.

From Jay Bilas on ESPN.com...

Can Otto Porter make the sophomore leap?

We didn’t bring Georgetown up in the last question, though I believe it definitely deserves that kind of preseason love. Despite the losses of Jason Clark and Henry Sims (aka the best passing big man in the game last season), there are good, versatile players in John Thompson III’s lineup. Chief among them: Otto Porter.

The sophomore small forward burst onto the scene last season; he hailed from a small town in Missouri, didn’t play AAU, and only gained a reputation for his ability late in the process. (This used to be commonplace; now it almost never happens.) So when he showed up in D.C., flashing ballhandling ability and a knack for efficient scoring and a tendency to block shots and clean up on the defensive glass -- all in a lanky, smooth 6-foot–8 frame -- he was immediately impressive. I want to see whether the sophomore Otto Porter can add enough to his game to become a star, the one to lead Georgetown deep into the NCAA tournament. The tools are most certainly there.

it's his team now

also another interesting tidbit. this one is from Chad Ford, ranking the Big East's top NBA draft prospects....coming in hot at number 2...

2. Otto Porter, F, So., Georgetown
Top 100 Rank: 12

Porter surprised a lot of scouts in 2011-12 with a very solid freshman season at Georgetown. It's hard to peg any one thing that Porter does spectacularly well, but he's the proverbial "basketball player" who always seems to be at the right place at the right time.

He wowed scouts at the LeBron camp this summer. His motor, his work ethic and a game with very few holes all bode well for him. As summer turned to fall, a few scouts have backed away a bit from huge Porter expectations -- especially in John Thompson III's more structured offense. But a few scouts I really trust see him as a potential lottery pick in what looks like a down year. I think they might just be right.

also another interesting tidbit. this one is from Chad Ford, ranking the Big East's top NBA draft prospects....coming in hot at number 2...

2. Otto Porter, F, So., Georgetown
Top 100 Rank: 12

Porter surprised a lot of scouts in 2011-12 with a very solid freshman season at Georgetown. It's hard to peg any one thing that Porter does spectacularly well, but he's the proverbial "basketball player" who always seems to be at the right place at the right time.

He wowed scouts at the LeBron camp this summer. His motor, his work ethic and a game with very few holes all bode well for him. As summer turned to fall, a few scouts have backed away a bit from huge Porter expectations -- especially in John Thompson III's more structured offense. But a few scouts I really trust see him as a potential lottery pick in what looks like a down year. I think they might just be right.

this annoys me in a way :lol:

Usually just delete these Gtown emails, but some good info. in the one that came today...

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Hoyas,

With Midnight Madness, BIG EAST media day, and the annual open practice, it has been incredibly busy over the last ten days here in the basketball office. All of these events are special as they signal the return of basketball season. We are just 18 days away from our opener and we are excited to return to the court.

Last Wednesday, Markel Starks, Nate Lubick, Otto Porter and I traveled up to New York City for the annual BIG EAST media day where Otto Porter was selected to the preseason All BIG EAST 1st Team. We are all very happy for Otto. In such a deep and talented conference, this is a unique and special honor.

It was great seeing so many of you on Saturday at the open practice; your support is felt and appreciated by all of our players and coaches. We look forward to seeing you back on campus for our home opener against Duquesne on November 11th.

This Thursday, Nike will open its new Georgetown store at 3040 M Street, just past Wisconsin Avenue. In the early '80s, the Hoyas were one of the first schools to wear Nike products on the court. Over the last two decades, Georgetown Basketball has built an incredibly strong relationship with the brand. We are very excited to welcome them to our neighborhood and are looking forward to seeing the sections of the new store that showcase the Georgetown-Nike tradition.

As an indication of our close relationship with Nike, Jordan Brand has provided us with six unique uniforms to wear during the season. For our game against Florida on the USS Bataan, we will wear special camouflage Georgetown uniforms designed as a tribute to those serving in the military. As always, we will wear the Georgetown blue and gray for the majority of our games. Be sure to check out our Twitter feed tomorrow - @GeorgetownHoops – as we release an image of our new gray home jerseys.

I have a link and a couple of articles to share with you today. Make sure to watch Roy Hibbert’s “Gangam Style” flash mob at http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/pacers-roy-hibbert-goes-gangnam-style. Below, I’ll leave you with one article on Otto’s progression to the All BIG EAST 1st Team and another on Greg Monroe’s leadership with the Detroit Pistons.

I hope you all have a good week.

Coach Thompson

Georgetown's Porter springs to attention
The Washington Examiner
Craig Stouffer

Hoyas sophomore finding acclaim after solid first season

There's no such thing as ignoring the hype, even for a player who only recently was accustomed not to having any.

Otto Porter was an unheralded freshman from rural Missouri who hadn't played AAU basketball when he arrived at Georgetown last year. On the cusp of his second season with the Hoyas, he has transformed into arguably the Big East's top NBA prospect and the key returner for a team that earned its first NCAA tournament victory in four years last spring.

"I try to just not pay much attention to it," Porter said as Georgetown opened practice last weekend. "It's not working too good."

Porter picked up his latest accolade Wednesday, named to the preseason All-Big East first team by the same coaches who snubbed him from the all-rookie team in March. He's also the No. 12 prospect on ESPN.com's list of potential 2013 draft picks and a first-round projection by DraftExpress.com. According to an NBA source, one general manager believes he's a lock to be a lottery pick.

It's not Porter's 9.7 points and 6.8 rebounds as a freshman that account for his rapid ascension. But his 6-foot-8 length, natural understanding of the game and ability to influence the action off the ball were crucial to Georgetown's march to the cusp of the Sweet 16. Scouts noticed, and invitations followed to the high-profile Kevin Durant Nike Skills camp in Chicago and LeBron James Nike Skills camp in Las Vegas.

Rather than try to prove to NBA observers that he deserved the attention, Porter said he used the camps to get better and test himself against the best college players in the country.

"He just played ball," said Aggrey Sam, who covers the Chicago Bulls for CSNChicago.com and saw Porter at the Chicago camp. "He's so fundamentally sound, and he took some of the on-court instruction to heart during the sessions that you could see him using them in the actual competition. You could see him applying what they were teaching. He's a fresh breath of air to a lot of scouts."

Sam compares Porter to Kawhi Leonard, another wing who went from a relative unknown to leading San Diego State to the Sweet 16 before becoming a first-round draft pick (15th overall) and immediate contributor for San Antonio last season.

Hoyas coach John Thompson III hasn't tried to shield Porter from the buzz and doesn't expect it to affect him.

"I think the reason a lot of good things have happened and will continue to happen to him is because he doesn't get engrossed in all of that," Thompson said.

Porter's teammates said he remains focused strictly on the Hoyas, where he will have to shoulder an increasing scoring load and leadership role on a team with only two juniors and no seniors. But they have noticed some changes, too.

"Otto had one of the better offseasons in terms of all the guys on the team," junior forward Nate Lubick said. "I think that's kind of gone unspoken a little bit because he was so good last year. But he's gotten a lot better, and he's gotten a lot better in a lot of different ways, which is scary because he was a jack of all trades last year."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/springing-to-attention/article/2511082#.UITv1GnuX_4

Pistons' Greg Monroe becoming more of a leader on, off court
Detroit Free Press
Vince Ellis

Greg Monroe definitely looks the part of budding NBA big man.

Poised to have a breakout season in his third year, Monroe spent countless hours this off-season working on his game. But there was more to it than the physical aspect.

With his participation in the off-season program and doing more than required, Monroe is firmly establishing himself as one of the leaders of the Pistons.

From spending draft night in the war room to practicing with the rookies before Orlando summer-league play began, Monroe has set a good example for his teammates.

But it's more than that.

"It's about setting an example and talking and just learning from each other and helping each other out to make sure this organization gets back on the right track," Monroe said Wednesday during an appearance at the Detroit Medical Center's newly opened Children's Hospital of Michigan Specialty Center-Detroit.

The Pistons brass has noticed the commitment.

"The best players, they inspire and unite by what they do and not what they say," Pistons coach Lawrence Frank said of summer workout warriors Monroe, Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey. "Anybody can make a phone call, but it's the fact that those guys are putting in the work every single day.

"That's what inspires, that's what unites."

Monroe was joined by Pistons mascot Hooper and the dance team at Wednesday's event. Monroe spread a little good cheer by reading to patients and remembered his childhood with a chuckle when he was asked about the reading selection.

"Everybody knows 'One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish,' " Monroe said of the Dr. Seuss classic. "I did not remember how long it was or how much a tongue-twister it was, too.

"Dr. Seuss is the man. As a kid, Dr. Seuss is the greatest thing ever."

http://www.freep.com/article/201209...oe-becoming-more-of-a-leader-on-and-off-court
unsubscribe from this list
update subscription preferences

As an indication of our close relationship with Nike, Jordan Brand has provided us with six unique uniforms to wear during the season. For our game against Florida on the USS Bataan, we will wear special camouflage Georgetown uniforms designed as a tribute to those serving in the military.

can't wait to see these camo uniforms

Kansas-Georgetown series set
Updated: October 25, 2012, 4:27 PM ET
Associated Press

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- College basketball powerhouses Kansas and Georgetown have agreed to play annually the next four seasons with the first game scheduled for Dec. 21, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks also will host the Hoyas during the 2015-16 season. The teams will play at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., during the 2014-15 and 2016-17 seasons.

Despite their pedigrees, Kansas and Georgetown have only met twice previously.

The Jayhawks beat Georgetown in the quarterfinals of the Maui Invitational last season, while the Hoyas prevailed in the Southeast Regional of the 1987 NCAA tournament.

GONNA BE SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

BLUE RIBBON TEAM PREVIEW: GEORGETOWN HOYAS

COACH AND PROGRAM

For Georgetown coach John Thompson III, the question conjured up a sense of déjà vu. The Hoyas lost three starters off a team that went 24-9 overall, spent part of the season ranked in the Top 10 and advanced to the NCAA tournament. The scenario was eerily similar to the previous year when Georgetown lost three starters off a team with a 21-11 record, a Top 25 pedigree and an NCAA bid.

A year ago, the departed players were Chris Wright, Austin Freeman and Julian Vaughn. All seniors. This time around, Thompson must replace Jason Clark, Henry Sims and Hollis Thompson, two seniors and a junior.

Those are some serious losses. It's not just losing six starters over two years. It's losing six starters who accounted for 23 years of college experience. You don't just restock the shelves with experienced seniors year after year and remain successful, but Thompson, knowing the past, feels confident the Hoyas have the talent to compete.

"I remember, literally, when we spoke last year, I was in a car driving in Reading, Pa., and you had the exact same question," Thompson said. "We were losing Chris Wright, Julian Vaughn and Austin Freeman. Now, we're losing Jason, Henry and Hollis. Without a doubt, you miss those guys. You miss their leadership and experience. Sometimes, it's harder to replace leadership and experience than it is to replace points and rebounds. But we've always had guys ready to step up."

Georgetown Hoyas
Last Season 24-9 (.727)
Conference Record 12-6 (t-4th)
Starters Lost/Returning 3/2
Coach John Thompson III (Princeton '88)
Record At School 184-82 (8 years)
Career Record 252-124 (12 years)
RPI Last 5 years 8-63-15-15-14

Clark, Thompson and Sims were Georgetown's top three scorers last season. Clark led the Hoyas with 14.0 points per game and was voted to the Big East's all-conference team. Sims, a 6-10 center, had a breakout senior season, averaging 11.6 points and 6.0 rebounds. His 114 assists led the team, as did his 45 blocked shots. Thompson led the Big East in 3-point shooting (.430). The problem for Thompson is that Clark in the backcourt, Thompson on the wing and Sims at center did much to buffer the losses of Wright, Freeman and Vaughn. Now, Thompson must solve the Rubix cube again -- and this time he must do it with no seniors on his roster.

"Without a doubt, this is a younger team," Thompson said. "But if this is possible, we're young but experienced. Our sophomores and juniors have played significant minutes in big-time games and big-time atmos-pheres. At times, we had four freshmen on the court at the same time. We got a lot out of our younger players last year. We're going to count on them even more this year."

Georgetown may not have any seniors, but the Hoyas do have talent and, as Thompson noted, some experience. Markel Starks and Nate Lubick, both juniors, give Thompson two returning starters. Otto Porter started eight games as a freshman and averaged 29.7 minutes per game. Greg Whittington was a 20-minutes per game player and Jabril Trawick played in all of Georgetown's 33 games at 11.4 minutes per game.

A lot will depend on Thompson's four sophomores -- Porter, Whittington, Trawick and center Mikael Hopkins.

"I did have four freshmen that played significant minutes last year," Thompson said. "I'm comfortable with sliding them into bigger roles this year. I think they'll all be better and they were pretty good last year."

The player to watch is Porter (9.7 ppg, 6.8 rpg), a 6-8, 205-pound small forward who showed flashes of brilliance as a freshman. There were times when Porter was obviously the best player on the floor for Georgetown.

"There's not too many guys in the country better than him," Thompson said. "He was more prepared than any freshman I've ever had."

Last season Porter led Georgetown in rebounding and field-goal percentage (.525). But now, he'll have to do more while also becoming the object of the opposition's defensive game plan.

"He's going to have to go through the adjustment of being a freshman who sometimes was in the opponent's scouting report and sometimes not to this year when he'll be the focal point of the opponent's scouting report," Thompson said. "I think he'll thrive this year because of the kind of player he is. He's got an old-school mentality. Regardless of what's thrown at him, I think he'll thrive."

Thompson is almost as excited about the rest of his sophomore class. Whittington (4.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg) is another 6-8 forward with length and athleticism. Trawick (3.4 ppg, 1.3 rpg) is a 6-5 guard who spent most of his time at the point last year, but could see action at either backcourt position this season. Hopkins (2.4 ppg, 1.1 rpg) will compete at center for Sims' vacated starting job.

While Porter proved ready to play at the college level last year, Whittington endured the usual freshman year speed bumps. Thompson, though, raves about Whittington's versatility. Whittington shot a solid .357 from 3-point range.

"Greg's going to have special year," Thompson said. "We're going to need him to play big and small. A lot of times, he's going to get the toughest defensive assignment."

Trawick will push for time at both guard positions. There is a distinct possibility he might not start, but he could become a key contributor off the bench.

"He brings a toughness to our team," Thompson said. "He's willed his way through many situations. He's got a competitive, doggedness nature."

Hopkins has all the tools to be a threat on the interior. As good as Sims was last year, there were times when the Hoyas played better with Hopkins on the floor. But there were other times when Hopkins looked lost. Thompson has brought in some big freshmen, but Hopkins needs to grab the starting opportunity at center.

"He has to make a significant jump," Thompson said. "He has to go from glimpses to consistency."

Starks (7.1 ppg, 1.5 apg) started at point guard last season, but late in the year he lost the starting job as Clark moved over from the off-guard spot. Starks barely played as a freshman, so last year was really his first year of college ball. He could score, but struggled as a playmaker. He finished the year with just 49 assists and 41 turnovers.

"Last year, he was thrown into the fire," Thompson said. "I want him to continue to improve. I think we'll see more of his ability to put the ball in the basket and, at the same time, he needs to have a more focused effort on getting easy shots for other people."

If Starks stumbles, Thompson will go to either Trawick or incoming freshman D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, a 6-3, 220-pound guard from Indianapolis, Ind., who spent last year at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., where he helped the prep powerhouse to a 44-0 record. ESPN rated him a four-star recruit and the No. 10 shooting guard in the country, but he's got a lead-guard mentality.

"D'Vauntes is a point guard who can also score," Thompson said. "Sometimes you have a guard who likes to score, but he doesn't get anyone else involved. D'Vauntes is someone who can score, but he likes to pass."

Aside from Starks, the Hoyas' other returning starter is 6-8, 235-pound junior forward Nate Lubick (3.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg). While there are more athletic and offensively gifted forwards on the Georgetown roster, Lubick remains a key factor in the frontcourt because of his toughness and work ethic. His experience will be essential as well.

"Last year, he didn't have a great year," Thompson said. "The positive that I've seen is he spent the spring and summer committing himself to getting better. His body's stronger."

Thompson wanted to add size to his roster, and he succeeded. The Hoyas' freshman class includes Brandon Bolden, a 6-10, 200-pound forward/center from Sumter, S.C., and Bradley Hayes, a 6-11, 250-pound center from Jacksonville, Fla.

Bolden, ESPN's No. 28-ranked power forward, comes in with the stronger pedigree. He can score around the basket, he uses his quickness to get rebounds and he can get out in transition. He played in the Jordan Brand Classic.

Hayes, meanwhile, needs court time. He played just one full year in high school because of growing pains and injuries caused by a growth spurt that saw him grow nine inches in three years. When he finally played as a senior, Hayes averaged 13.0 points and 12.2 rebounds.

"I think the two big kids are very similar," Thompson said. "They're both fairly athletic. They both have good hands and good feet. They need to learn how to play. Both have a chance to be pretty good one day. They just need reps."

Tyler Adams, a 6-9, 275-pound sophomore, played in just four games last year. He was shut down for the season when team physicians discovered a heart problem. He's still waiting for medical clearance.

Moses Ayegba, 6-9, 250 pounds, redshirted last season after suffering a torn ACL in his right knee in August. The sophomore could provide depth behind Hopkins, Bolden and Hayes.

In May, Thompson added one last player to his recruiting class, but it could be a key addition. Stephen Domingo, a 6-7 small forward, was supposed to be a senior at St. Ignatius High School in San Francisco, Calif., this year, but he graduated early and decided to attend Georgetown. Domingo has the outside shooting ability that could help Georgetown make up for the loss of Hollis Thompson.

ESPN rated Domingo the No. 9 small forward in the country and a four-star recruit.

"He can put the ball in the basket," Thompson said. "He's a big-time shooter. If you can get him open, the ball usually goes in."

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: B
BENCH/DEPTH: B
FRONTCOURT: B+
INTANGIBLES: B+

In sizing up Georgetown's prospects for the 2012-13 season, it's important to go back one year. Last season, the Big East coaches picked Georgetown to finish 10th in the league. The Hoyas wound up tied for fourth -- with three more wins than they had the previous year with the ballyhooed senior trio of Chris Wright, Austin Freeman and Julian Vaughn. And here's the thing. John Thompson III quietly liked last year's squad before the start of the season.

Now, Thompson sounds a lot like he did a year ago.

"Much like I liked last year's group, I like this year's group," Thompson said. "Last year, I had a couple prac-tices before our China trip that had me thinking we could be better than people thought. I'm not at that point yet, but I like this group."

so ready for this season to start.

wonder if jabril found a way to grab some of those jordans from Nike DC.

wonder if jabril found a way to grab some of those jordans from Nike DC.

for jt5, there's always a way. we just don't know how.

pics well posted. can't wait for friday.

just locked down tickets for Legends Classic too.

Back
Top Bottom