The Official Jordan XXXI Thread

Black jumpman on black upper = remedy the situation a bit
Removing the jumpman all together = 100% copped

Edit: not copped by me, I'm retired after the 5's next week [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect to Hallywoodxo.But your crazy for thinking 1-14 weren't the best looking basketball shoes ever.Did they sell out on the first day of release no.Your getting hype confused with facts.Hype consumes this generation.Why is that.Because of how 1-14 made history from the looks perspective.It was a perfect explosion.Mike became the best player ever.The combination of his ideas with Tinker did that.It was definitely about looks as well as history.1-14 can't be touched by any other shoes from a casual stand point.Why you think rappers and celebrities where wearing them back then.It was because Michael was making history.But the shoes where fire off the court as well.Tell me any other type of tennis shoes,or basketball shoes that look as good 1-14 off the court.Those shoes influenced almost everything in the fashion world from day 1.If Mike had ugly shoes from back then.They wouldn't be as popular.The XXX1 is trash.Take off the Jumpman.Give me some type of red leather Swoosh on both sides.Not that faded crap.Change the toe box into some type of design.Add some leather layering in the back to resemble the 1.Then change the bottom sole a little.Then i might think about buying them.Looks like i won't be getting these.There getting real lazy at Nike/JB from a design perspective.For casual wear,these look horrendous.They probably feel good on court though.Just like 29- to now.Nobody is going to wear these with a fit thinking there doing it.Thats what most people don't understand.1-14 changed everything in fashion.In a sense of how they look in the streets.Its reason why kids would be eyeing your j,s in class all day.Until they could get them.From using red and black on 1,s.To seeing the clear sole bottoms for the first time.Those shoes made history off the court just as much as MJ did on the court.Nobody has been looking at any of the new sig models thinking.I can't wait to wear those with some jeans.There not even trying anymore.These should be team Jordan's.September 3 is what i need.

View media item 2102327

Done. Finished. Garbage.

It's the same reaction year after year. I remember the same type of responses going back to the first Air Jordan XIV pics leaked way back on NikePark in the 90's. And year after year, Jordan Brand continues to produce. I've been collecting shoes for a long time and I expect this reaction every time the "new Air Jordan" is shown for the first time. The initial reaction is always like this and then it slowly changes. Despite the hate, these will still sell better than the stuff Adidas puts out. They'll probably drop in price after awhile and they'll probably perform like beasts on the court. Air Jordan fans will buy them regardless. Onlookers will continue to be disappointed that these aren't the XI's again.

I myself, will hold judgement until I see these in person or atleast better pictures. However, from this picture alone, I'm excited about the possibilities. If the marketing campaign is gonna focus its inspiration from the Air Jordan 1's, how awesome would it be to show classic footage or pictures of MJ during his rookie year rocking these instead?

Done. Finished. Garbage.

It's the same reaction year after year. I remember the same type of responses going back to the first Air Jordan XIV pics leaked way back on NikePark in the 90's. And year after year, Jordan Brand continues to produce. I've been collecting shoes for a long time and I expect this reaction every time the "new Air Jordan" is shown for the first time. The initial reaction is always like this and then it slowly changes. Despite the hate, these will still sell better than the stuff Adidas puts out. They'll probably drop in price after awhile and they'll probably perform like beasts on the court. Air Jordan fans will buy them regardless. Onlookers will continue to be disappointed that these aren't the XI's again.

I myself, will hold judgement until I see these in person or atleast better pictures. However, from this picture alone, I'm excited about the possibilities. If the marketing campaign is gonna focus its inspiration from the Air Jordan 1's, how awesome would it be to show classic footage or pictures of MJ during his rookie year rocking these instead?

THIS.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Every new Jordan.

If age has taught me anything, it's withholding judgement until you have all the information.

PICS PICS PICS.

Hot takes = "they're growing on me" in two months.

Whoa :wow: haven't seen that sn in a minute.

But, I agree. These will perform great on court.

First impression is, um, underwhelming, I get the same feeling looking at these, that I did when I first saw the Thunderbird Ford released a few years back which typified J Mays' "retro futurism".

A real tribute to the AJ line would've been to create something out of this world, something visually stimulating the likes of which we've never seen before.

That being said, it looks like we're stuck with these, my first step to improving them would be to emboss that giant Jumpman and make it black.

Last edited:
Seriously, it's the same reaction year after year and then all a sudden, somewhere down the line, something changes people's opinions.

I can't remember which model it was, but years ago on here, I quoted a bunch of people's initial comments and reactions, only to re-quote their complete 180 degree opinions after the release. It was quite hilarious. My point wasn't to bust people out, but to show exactly what I'm talking about on how everybody seems so disappointed at first to being hyped afterwards. Quotes literally went from "garbage!!" To "dem joints is fire!!"

Remember how many thought the XXX's were basically the same as the XX9's? Besides the midsole, they were two completely different shoes. Those who have both, know exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
@KingsRBorn

To each their own brother. I appreciate the earlier models like everyone else, but if we're calling a spade a spade they were only appreciated because Jordan rocked em.

Trends and rappers are synonmous. Probably not best to use them as a reference point to convey your stance. Yeezys are just hi-tech slip ons and people are dropping racks on them. Guarantee no yeezy co sign and they'd Sit.

You can go through all those models at the time and find a glaring aesthetic discrepancy that people had with them at the time.

1's are probably the most coveted retro overall at the moment but if we're being honest they were just take down Dunks. It's the marketing and nostalgia that comes with them.

It's only so long you can create something out of nothing with out your flagship athlete to promote and market the product. At some point Jordan was going to fall off. It's just the natural cycle of life. Personally it started its decline a while ago, but the flagship model was something I enjoyed, it seems like that is dwindling as well.

Would look so much better if they moved the Jumpman to back heel. Could still be double branded if they really wanted that way. Then again watch it be there also

Seriously, it's the same reaction year after year and then all a sudden, somewhere down the line, something changes people's opinions.

I can't remember which model it was, but years ago on here, I quoted a bunch of people's initial comments and reactions, only to re-quote their complete 180 degree opinions after the release. It was quite hilarious. My point wasn't to bust people out, but to show exactly what I'm talking about on how everybody seems so disappointed at first to being hyped afterwards. Quotes literally went from "garbage!!" To "dem joints is fire!!"

Remember how many thought the XXX's were basically the same as the XX9's? Besides the midsole, they were two completely different shoes. Those who have both, know exactly what I'm talking about.

I hear ya man. I usually have a pretty good feel for a sneaker upon my initial sighting of them. I was cool with the 28,29,30 when I saw all of them initially. I can't recall the last time if ever I had a turn or a sneaker, but I know that's a rarity all things considered.

Just out of curiosity when you say these will sell better then adidas, can you elaborate. I've seen people go back and forth with the numbers before so I really don't know. Just following what I see on sneaker blogs and kids in the street it Def seems like adidas has the edge at the moment.

You're prolly right. I will withold final judgement on the XXXs until I get me a pair of Cosmos, I was one of the haters.

Totally agree.  “There’s an old saying in Tennessee—I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me—you can’t get fooled again.”  Please, some of us were #heartbroken when we saw the XXX midsole.  Hurt, betrayed, felt like you mailed it in.  Surely, you've had time to rotate, rejigger, de-couple, re-unlock, or do whatever you have to to the zoom, maybe lunarlon-ize it, or air max-imize it, or free it, or otherwise heretofore potentize it with any of the myriad other patented technologies you have at your disposal.  Just make it look, sound, and above all else feel cool again.  You shouldn't really call a new shoe new when the foot-feel is 92.5% the same as the previous model.  I dig Tinker, and did the whole suspension-of-disbelief thing when they unveiled the XXX...  And when he said you really don't have to change a chassis every time you're up at bat, I almost-almost believed it...  But my gut feeling was that if there was not enough of a change,  just extend the model one more year and build up the mystique.  You're selling a ton of retros anyway... take a breather... go on hiatus... re-charge... and then come out with something mildly mind-blowing. An evolution of the line.  A simple, sleek, visually striking, adaptable, comfortable, and dynamically-fitting piece of wearable art.  With MJs iconic silhouette embedded in the piece. Piece of cake, right?  Totally get it, this is not easy work, it's a labor of love, but it's what some of us ultimately crave.
I think they nailed it, and I'll tell you why... If that swoosh is 3-D printed and visible from some angles and hidden from others, many of our jaws will hit the floor. Visible nod to the past when you look at it from the front.. but fleeting (disappearing) as the shoe passes you by and you're looking at it... from the back! That would make... a helluva story!

Most unoriginal comments after an unveil:

-Should have ended at 14
-I stopped at 23
-Jordan logo too big or misplaced
-Jordan brand has lost its touch
- Sign line is dead

Pretty sure I've heard the same comments and the same slow turn around by the end of the thread on every sig release. Gettin Tired.

Just out of curiosity when you say these will sell better then adidas, can you elaborate. I've seen people go back and forth with the numbers before so I really don't know. Just following what I see on sneaker blogs and kids in the street it Def seems like adidas has the edge at the moment.

I'm talking more about Basketball shoes. I understand Adidas is gaining momentum with their boost line but Nike/Jordan still controls 90% of the basketball market. If anything, it's Under Armour which has become a thorn in Nike's side.

Last edited:
If you are going to incorporate the swoosh into the design, then you probably should not just lazily stamp a jumpman logo.  Given the inspiration of the 1, why not wrap or mirror the jumpan/ red element around the heel? 

Wait Dino said no swoosh, and jumpman logo was inside or medial side. Why is that stupid double logo appearing to be on the outside of the shoe.

Back
Top Bottom