THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
He has worked on shoes before but is not the designer for the 9s. It has been mentioned on Niketalk before.

That guy is just a graphic artist/designer, definitely not a designer for the 9s. The article is dated from back in Feb 2013, and there's no chance that Nike would ever let one of its designers put out legit info/pics that far in advance.

Eric Avar has been the head of the design team for the Kobe line since the beginning, and one of the greatest Nike designers ever, especially for bball (Foamposite, Flightposite, Penny I, Huarache 2k4, Hyperdunk, Kobe line, etc). I think Erick Goto was the main graphic designer for the 8s and some of the previous models.

Last edited:
So we noticed it was funny that the wear sample we saw said Kobe 9 LOW on the tag, but looked like a mid.  maybe something like this is going to happen......

someone posted this in the 9 thread on SC  (Please excuse the ugly shoes im about to post pics of)

here is the D Rose 3.5 Low sample.

and here is the final product

the sample has the same goofy ankle pad area that the 9 sample has.  if the same happens with this 9 sample, it could end up looking a lot like that photoshop somebody did in here

Could be cool, but not with that Elite price tag attached.  even though i love the 8s, i stayed away from all the elites because of the 220 price tag.   i can't even imagine what the 9 elites will cost.

still yet to purchase 8 elites. it's getting more and more unlikely as well. I'd rather spend the same amount on the regular 9s

That guy is just a graphic artist/designer, definitely not a designer for the 9s. The article is dated from back in Feb 2013, and there's no chance that Nike would ever let one of its designers put out legit info/pics that far in advance.

Eric Avar has been the head of the design team for the Kobe line since the beginning, and one of the greatest Nike designers ever, especially for bball (Foamposite, Flightposite, Penny I, Huarache 2k4, Hyperdunk, Kobe line, etc). I think Erick Goto was the main graphic designer for the 8s and some of the previous models.
i thought tinker did the original foamposite but i could be wrong. Avar has made some classics too.

Do you guys think the flyknit material will hold up good on the basketball floor since the mesh on the kobe 8 had some bad reviews

Ya def fly knit is stronger due to the thicker weave...:even more so if they apply that water proof coating that reinforces the material

Eric Avar has been the head of the design team for the Kobe line since the beginning, and one of the greatest Nike designers ever, especially for bball (Foamposite, Flightposite, Penny I, Huarache 2k4, Hyperdunk, Kobe line, etc)

Tinker actually did the original sketches for the Huarache 2K4, then Avar finished the shoe (I read this in a Tinker interview somewhere online). The same thing happened with the Jordan XVI (read "Driven From Within").

^Didn't know that about the 2K4s but I'd heard that about the XVIs. Would love to see them maybe do a doc someday taking us from designing a shoe all the way to the final product. Gotta be interesting being in the Kitchen with Tinker, Avar, etc.

Semi-regarding kobeoverbron's post,

Black/Gold Elite 8s are pretty much my exclusive hooping shoe now; the dynamic flywire, padded tongue and carbon fiber heel counter really make a difference OVER TIME after logging long hours in them hooping when compared to the regular 8s. I think it's easy to dismiss such small changes, and yeah they don't deserve the price hike, but I copped them on discount and I don't regret it one bit. I went back to my sulfurs after the black/gold elites for one pick-up session and I almost wish I had worn an extra pair of thick socks to get that feeling the elites give. Could just be me though but, my point is, you won't regret them if you really like the regular 8s.

While that was a little off-topic, I'm not saying the 9's are going to be bad or worse than the 8s, I just know I haven't enjoyed hooping in a pair of shoes quite like the 8s then the elite 8s. As mentioned before, the VI was a huge hit and then came the VII, so to be completely confident these will be bullet-proof in terms of performance and meeting expectations is unreasonable, but I will be eagerly waiting to try the 9s out when they drop.

I get your point Skeet.

The only thing is, I have all the regular 8s I wanted all along (fade, venom (suflur) and xmas) and I'm at the point where I'm just waiting for the 9s. With the elite 8s most likely being the same price as the regular 9, I'd rather wait. Knowing the elite 8s will be waiting for me in the outlets after the 9s release.

I'm so tempted to get the elite 8 but I just can't pull the trigger when I still have 2 fresh insoles waiting to be played in.

I can certainly see the 9 having the XX8 hype. Low key in the beginning with high publicity until it dries up immediately and would fetch crazy prices even for regular releases.

Do you guys think the flyknit material will hold up good on the basketball floor since the mesh on the kobe 8 had some bad reviews
After having done a fair amount of miles in my Flyknit Frees, I came to the same thought.
For running, flyknit is effective in it's breathable sock-like construction. Giving a runner a lighter ride when going the distance - straight with minimal percision based cuts.
For basketball, it'll be very interesting to see the use of Flyknit in the 9s - if that may be the case. IMO there would have to be a very thought-out support system implemented in the medial to forefoot region to lower the risk of "ankle rolling" and straining of the toes when planting during a cut to the basket or so.

With that said, I support the Idea for Flyknit in basketball and I hope Nike makes us all believers.

I think it's been mentioned again and again that the Kobe 9 will be hella supportive to complement the Flyknit upper. Do you really think Nike will release a basketball shoe with just flyknit? Cmon man.

There hasn't been a reason for us to even doubt the Kobe series when it comes to performance. The 7s were bad I know but it's only "bad" because of the Kobe standard that was set. It's actually a good shoe as long as you get your correct size.

Totally agree with you.

I may sound crazy but I HOPE Nike pulls off a completely supportive Flyknit upper; why only do partial? Just go all out - to me that'll be ahead of it's time and like you said will meet the Kobe standard that was set and maybe go beyond it.

BTW, I believe that Kobe needs a groundbreaking signature to really seperate him from the rest of the pack; and I think that time is now.

good point. but the Kobe 4 5 6 and 8 have all been the best sig per year with the 8 being the most innovative. So it goes without saying that the Kobe line is the top dog.

I think it's been mentioned again and again that the Kobe 9 will be hella supportive to complement the Flyknit upper. Do you really think Nike will release a basketball shoe with just flyknit? Cmon man.

There hasn't been a reason for us to even doubt the Kobe series when it comes to performance. The 7s were bad I know but it's only "bad" because of the Kobe standard that was set. It's actually a good shoe as long as you get your correct size.

yea all my kobe 7s that were 11 instead of 10.5 were aight, the heel slippage and blisters stopped and the pain in the toebox ceased

while 7's were the only disappointment in the Kobe line, i can point at numerous models in the Lebron line and KD line

If the 9's happen to reach or get somewhere close to major casual appeal it will catapult his line even farther ahead of the others

yea all my kobe 7s that were 11 instead of 10.5 were aight, the heel slippage and blisters stopped and the pain in the toebox ceased

while 7's were the only disappointment in the Kobe line, i can point at numerous models in the Lebron line and KD line

If the 9's happen to reach or get somewhere close to major casual appeal it will catapult his line even farther ahead of the others
Kobes all about performance though thats what his focus is and you can c that throughout his signature line... his shoe is made to please him 1st on court and then every1 else (reason why im guessing lebrons shoes has had many flops due to his Fed up toes XD) i would love to know how kobe currently ranks his shoes, performance wise.

Last edited:
Super random but is anyone here not pissed that shoes are getting more expensive yet they are using foam inserts that have a set lifespan (rather short). Not only this but have discontinued options to purchase replaceable inserts. I hope the kobe 9 does not discontinue the inserts if it continues to push modularity

Super random but is anyone here not pissed that shoes are getting more expensive yet they are using foam inserts that have a set lifespan (rather short). Not only this but have discontinued options to purchase replaceable inserts. I hope the kobe 9 does not discontinue the inserts if it continues to push modularity
Not too happy about this either, especially since you can't purchase replacements.  Nike does know what they are doing though...

I have a few other shoes in the hoop rotation and enough 8s where I can switch out inserts as needed, but as the 8s are so good on court, it's a shame that this won't last forever.  It will be interesting to see what the final setup is for the 9

Yeah I feel you guys about the inserts thing. Part of the reason why I'm even considering a pair of Elite 8s would be cuz they have zoom and would last longer for ball. Just wish retail wasn't $220...

^Been thinkin about grabbing those too and can't quite do it at 220...

I had a chance at them for about 175 shipped when there was stock on footlocker and a 20% off promotion a couple months back.  Probably should have jumped on it

Back
Top Bottom