THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Vitti is always next to Kobe. 
roll.gif

Last edited:
Wait, I'm not trying to convince anyone that 1-8 are trash. That's my opinion. I think 1-3 are hideous and 4-8 look WAY too much alike. The point is, will they be as popular as Jordan's? Absolutely not. His shoe line hasn't sold well. Its praised as a great on court shoe, which is fine. But most of you keep talking about its on court performance and not it's off court popularity. Nike had to make limited pairs for this shoe line to get hype created.

A serious debate would be LeBron's shoe line. He's at 11 and damn near each pair has been successful. Closest successful shoe line to Jordan that has more than 4-5 shoes.

And to the guy saying 4s go for a lot now. I wouldn't know. I have no desire sure to buy 1-8. I do know that 4s sat in my area.
Lebrons line didnt even take off til the 8..... maybe 7.... lbj 3-6 are all cheeks

Nike's been creating limited colorways to generate hype for everything, not just for Kobes. Lebrons, Jordans, KDs, etc etc have all had limited colorways for years now. It's been a big part of their marketing model across the board. I wouldn't say Nike had to specifically create limited colorways just for Kobes for them to be able to sell. It's been part of their overall strategy to bump sales/popularity in general for everything.

And plenty of Lebrons sat in outlets just as much as Kobes did up until recent years when sneakers in general have gotten a lot more popular. Like blacklion23 blacklion23 said, Lebrons didn't really hit their stride til the VIIs just like Kobes didn't start getting more popular til the IVs dropped. Lebrons have been very successful in the past few years, but the early models definitely didn't get the same type of love.

I don't think Kobes will ever have the same off court appeal that Jordans have had, but I don't think any sig line will ever be as popular as Jordan's, including Lebron's. Kobe's had a long run with Nike up to now, and I do think his sig line will have a place when retros start coming out. Besides the performance/tech aspect of the line, I think Kobes offer something different/alternative from your typical basketball shoes, which for some people I think is part of the appeal, and for others, that's probably what turns them off to Kobes. Lebrons are much closer to what your "typical/traditional" basketball shoe would look like, but Kobe's sort of created a different niche for himself, especially with the low top models that he's had. For example, some people I know who are usually more into trainers/runners got into Kobes specifically because they liked the sleeker, low-profile look compared to most other basketball sneakers.

Even if they so called "weren't selling" which I don't agree with, sometimes all it takes is one great shoe to ignite interest in an entire line. The 8's made me go from someone who didn't care too much about sneakers to wanting to get any kobes I can get my hands on.

Wait, I'm not trying to convince anyone that 1-8 are trash. That's my opinion. I think 1-3 are hideous and 4-8 look WAY too much alike. The point is, will they be as popular as Jordan's? Absolutely not. His shoe line hasn't sold well. Its praised as a great on court shoe, which is fine. But most of you keep talking about its on court performance and not it's off court popularity. Nike had to make limited pairs for this shoe line to get hype created.

A serious debate would be LeBron's shoe line. He's at 11 and damn near each pair has been successful. Closest successful shoe line to Jordan that has more than 4-5 shoes.

And to the guy saying 4s go for a lot now. I wouldn't know. I have no desire sure to buy 1-8. I do know that 4s sat in my area.
You Drunk OR Young & don't remember?

Lebron's line didn't begin to get Successful until his 2nd MVP Season in 09-10 with the Lebron VII.

I grabbed the (Black/Red) Zoom Generation, II, IV... ALL for Under $70 a piece, weeks & months after initial release. I didn't grab the III, V, & VI because I wasn't feeling them, but they were all available for the low if anybody wanted them.

The LBJ 7 is when things turned around because they had the Patent Leather Mudguard wrapped around the sneaks like Jordan's. Some hated the fact that their was clear inspiration from the AJXI's, some loved it. But that was the first one you couldn't wait for the Clearance Sale for. The 7's were also the first Jason Petrie design... which I think had alot to do with things as well.

Then the 8's dropped... the line took off... the rest is history. But before that... NAH, BRUH. And them Bron V's were absolute TRASH. 
sick.gif

Looks great IMO.

Been thinking about trying white laces on these Devotions.  Could be good or a total disaster...
Actually never thought of this. I think white would look great. The flyknit upper is predominantly white, and would match well. 

Thought the IV was dope, if not bulky

Only liked the II and IV...1 thru 6.
i likes the AZG, 2s cuz of the bulletproof vest look. 4 were too out there for me but alot do like them. not a van of the 7 at all... those were terrible ball shoes as well. not as big on the 8/9 as most either.... X is my favorite and the XI next

You Drunk OR Young & don't remember?

Lebron's line didn't begin to get Successful until his 2nd MVP Season in 09-10 with the Lebron VII.

I grabbed the (Black/Red) Zoom Generation, II, IV... ALL for Under $70 a piece, weeks & months after initial release. I didn't grab the III, V, & VI because I wasn't feeling them, but they were all available for the low if anybody wanted them.

The LBJ 7 is when things turned around because they had the Patent Leather Mudguard wrapped around the sneaks like Jordan's. Some hated the fact that their was clear inspiration from the AJXI's, some loved it. But that was the first one you couldn't wait for the Clearance Sale for. The 7's were also the first Jason Petrie design... which I think had alot to do with things as well.

Then the 8's dropped... the line took off... the rest is history. But before that... NAH, BRUH. And them Bron V's were absolute TRASH. 
sick.gif
+1

judging by venemon and soldiers (based on availability, price, hype) i dont know if either athlete could really carry a brand after they retire. i think kobe retros would be more sought after than lebron retros.

If you guys are gonna talk about sales, please dig up a sales report

How many times YOU see them on the court, at the gym, on sale, in the outlets... these things don't really mean anything :lol:

I worked in sneaker stores when LeBron's 1-6 came out. 1s sold okay, 2s sold well, 3s sold out in most colors, 4s sold well, 5s were the only pair that didn't sell well. These are all GRs. Cats in here insulting my intelligence by saying LeBron's shoe line wasn't successful.

I've seen a few in here tell me I don't know what I'm talking about but haven't disputed the fact that Kobe 1-4 sat on the shelf. Then I have others saying they disagree and the 8 turned the line around, so that would be last year?

I worked at FL and then Nike for eight years total.

Last edited:
I worked in sneaker stores when LeBron's 1-6 came out. 1s sold okay, 2s sold well, 3s sold out in most colors, 4s sold well, 5s were the only pair that didn't sell well. These are all GRs. Cats in here insulting my intelligence by saying LeBron's shoe line wasn't successful.

I've seen a few in here tell me I don't know what I'm talking about but haven't disputed the fact that Kobe 1-4 sat on the shelf. Then I have others saying they disagree and the 8 turned the line around, so that would be last year?

I worked at FL and then Nike for eight years total.

Great gif but tell me Kobe's 1-4 didn't sit on the shelf? None of you can for a reason. There's no way his shoe line will be anything close to Jordan's off the court. But it's cool, I'm done. Just gonna enjoy my 9s and let it be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom