The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Is there a convenient way of saving people's birthday's with an alarm or some kind of reminder on the mac? Cause I don't want to be checking iCal every week to see if it is somebody's birthday..

Originally Posted by Numberr97

Is there a convenient way of saving people's birthday's with an alarm or some kind of reminder on the mac? Cause I don't want to be checking iCal every week to see if it is somebody's birthday..

Save the birthdate on Google Calendar and have them email you a reminder. You could also sync google calendar with iCal as well if you wish.

Link here: http://www.google.com/sup...?hl=en&answer=99358#ical

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Originally Posted by Numberr97

Save the birthdate on Google Calendar and have them email you a reminder. You could also sync google calendar with iCal as well if you wish.

Link here: http://www.google.com/sup...?hl=en&answer=99358#ical

You could simply use iCal on you Mac and the day of the event, it will pop up on the screen.

Fellow Mac users,

I've searched countless of forums and have been trying to get a fix on my problem...I have a 27" iMac and when I watch videos or even keep it idle, my keyboard and Magic Mouse continuously goes to sleep. I have to tap the power button on and off for it to respond to the movement. Any suggestions on this? I've even made both the keyboard and mouse as 'favorites' in the bluetooth settings.

It's getting frustrating at times. Thanks for your input.

Which back up program do you guys recommend?

I have two external hard drives that I intend to back data onto.

I'm interested in creating two backups as I'm upgrading an iMac from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

Should I use SD (which I'm leaning towards) on both or should/can I use a different program on each hard drive? One HD w/ SD, the other w/ CCC.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Fellow Mac users,

I've searched countless of forums and have been trying to get a fix on my problem...I have a 27" iMac and when I watch videos or even keep it idle, my keyboard and Magic Mouse continuously goes to sleep. I have to tap the power button on and off for it to respond to the movement. Any suggestions on this? I've even made both the keyboard and mouse as 'favorites' in the bluetooth settings.

It's getting frustrating at times. Thanks for your input.
Download Caffeine

Originally Posted by Squalie413

Anyone know how to change the finder icon on the dock without candybar and all that?

Download Img2icns

Originally Posted by LittlePeteWrigley

I'm interested in creating two backups as I'm upgrading an iMac from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

Should I use SuperDuper! (which I'm leaning towards) on both or should/can I use a different program on each hard drive? One HD w/ SD, the other w/ CarbonCopyCloner.

Bump...

Should I use SuperDuper! (which I'm leaning towards) on both or should/can I use a different program on each hard drive? One HD w/ SD, the other w/ CarbonCopyCloner.

Bump...

SuperDuper! Is the most straightfoward HD cloning software I've come accross. I'd go with that.Bump...

thegoat121886:

Since you appear to be familiar with SuperDuper!, what do you say about this:

Is it absolutely necessary to zero one's external hard drive free space?

I d/l Super Duper and it said that I should do this in order to "test the drive surface, remap any bad or weak spots, and helps to ensure your first backup will be a successful one."

I'm using a brand new 1 TB HD (reformatted to Mac OS) therefore there is no data on there.

Disk Utility states that one should erase free space in order to prevent recovery of deleted files, yet, there is none.

The drive has been deleting for over 15 hours now, mind you, I'm only writing over data once (not 7 or 35 times).

Can someone PLEASE let me know if this is recommended procedure or should I just stop erasing the deletion of free space and proceed to backup my data?

I've never deleted the free space. I just back up and go on with my business. Are yu gonna be using this cloned drive in the computer or is this strictly for backup purposes?

tumblr_l9qdpjAdFa1qawpf3o1_500.png

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

I've never deleted the free space. I just back up and go on with my business. Are yu gonna be using this cloned drive in the computer or is this strictly for backup purposes?

Strictly backup.

I'm just gonna wait until this drive's free space is done deleting.

I'm definitely not going to go through this again (I have two externals) as it's absurdly time consuming.

Can anyone recommend me a good cheap external hard drive. I'm thinking of doing 1 TB not sure any recommendations are appreciated

I just got the WD My passport and it works fine. I got the 320gb.

I have a question and it might seem foolish but it is what it is. I have a noise under my keyboard from my macbook(2007). I went to apple genius bar and they asked me to explain the noise and I did. They said they will run a few tests and said they cleaned the fan. I told them that I have plenty of problems and they said ok, so they replaced the keyboard, and the hardware. I picked it up and the noise continues.

Now my question is what do I tell them for them to change the fan, not clean it, just give me a brand new one. I dont know if the fan is the problem but my applecare ends in a month so I am trying to get this problem fixed, but I have been to the apple store 3 times in the past week.

I just got the WD My passport and it works fine. I got the 320gb.

I have a question and it might seem foolish but it is what it is. I have a noise under my keyboard from my macbook(2007). I went to apple genius bar and they asked me to explain the noise and I did. They said they will run a few tests and said they cleaned the fan. I told them that I have plenty of problems and they said ok, so they replaced the keyboard, and the hardware. I picked it up and the noise continues.

Now my question is what do I tell them for them to change the fan, not clean it, just give me a brand new one. I dont know if the fan is the problem but my applecare ends in a month so I am trying to get this problem fixed, but I have been to the apple store 3 times in the past week.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

Can anyone recommend me a good cheap external hard drive. I'm thinking of doing 1 TB not sure any recommendations are appreciated

I'd say go for a Western Digital. I've had my portable 500gb for over a year now and still going strong. Planning to get a WD mybook for backup only.

I have a decent sized sticker i want to put on my MBP but i want to cut the middle of it around the Apple logo but I dont know what the best way to go about it is.. can anyone help?

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

I have a decent sized sticker i want to put on my MBP but i want to cut the middle of it around the Apple logo but I dont know what the best way to go about it is.. can anyone help?

use a very sharp razor or an Xacto knife

Back
Top Bottom