The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by you go boy

thinking of copping a macbook pro but undecided on the size of screen... i like the 15 inch screen because its big and the 13 inch screen is cool because its portable and substantial... the thing is this is going to be my main computer and replace my desktop at home... so ya i like the 13 inch screen but im going to use it at home more than bring it anywhere... what yall think i should get... or what would you get
i just got the 13" this week and going from a 15.5"vaio to this is a big difference.  Love my MBP and really won't be able to make the call until my mini-dv to hdmi cable comes so I can test it on my tv but a part of me wishes I got the 15".  The biggest issue is the price though....You're spending anywhere from 1799-2000 before discounts so it's a lot to put up.  You might be better served taking that money saved from getting the smaller screen and putting it towards a nice monitor which was what my decision making process was.  Don't forget about the government/student discount.

i've spent the last two days messing around with my new macbook and wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread.  It's been a ridiculous resource and the end result is something I never imagined a laptop could be capable of.  Now I just need to learn how to properly use Geektool to add a few more things.  If anyone can send a tutorial my way that's easily understandable, i'd be indebted.  Here's my current setup.  The quality is crap but the only camera I have is the one on my iphone.  Thanks again to all the past 300 past pages worth of Mac goodness

man, tinypic url isnt working for me.  here's the link if anyone is curious (pause)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zb5o5y&s=7

Originally Posted by pchen83

i've spent the last two days messing around with my new macbook and wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread.  It's been a ridiculous resource and the end result is something I never imagined a laptop could be capable of.  Now I just need to learn how to properly use Geektool to add a few more things.  If anyone can send a tutorial my way that's easily understandable, i'd be indebted.  Here's my current setup.  The quality is crap but the only camera I have is the one on my iphone.  Thanks again to all the past 300 past pages worth of Mac goodness

man, tinypic url isnt working for me.  here's the link if anyone is curious (pause)

Command + Shift + 3 to take a screenshot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

laugh.gif
i already posted a pic of my desktop setup a couple of posts back, I was trying to upload a pic of my mbp connected to my hdtv.  Let me know if you can help on that.  Thanks though
laugh.gif

im bored tonight, what cool/easy things can i do to my macbook pro for entertainment, i have an 09 macbook pro, cheapest one

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

im bored tonight, what cool/easy things can i do to my macbook pro for entertainment, i have an 09 macbook pro, cheapest one

change dock icons? 

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

idk how to do that
smile.gif

You need to find a way to procure candybar,either through purchasing it (it comes with a free 14 day trail) or other methods that i'm sure you know of....For instructions, there's basically a wealth of knowledge that the OG posters on this thread put out.  Look at the first 20 or so pages, some of those desktops are fire

*I'm having problems copying and pasting the screenshot of my desktop.  It looks fine when i cmd-shift-3 and then paste it in the reply box but once i post it, it doesn't show up.  Any help is appreciated

cracked my screen, how much is it to fix it? do you go through apple or an outside source?  

and how much is applecare for a mac book pro?

Originally Posted by you right

cracked my screen, how much is it to fix it? do you go through apple or an outside source?  

$183/$239 for the 13"/15" 
A cracked screen is a tier 3 or tier 4 repair i believe, so you're gonna be shelling out at least $250 to get it fixed from Apple without AppleCare. if that's the case, you may want to look at outside sources or even on craigslist. 

pchen83 wrote:

*I'm having problems copying and pasting the screenshot of my desktop.  It looks fine when i cmd-shift-3 and then paste it in the reply box but once i post it, it doesn't show up.  Any help is appreciated

03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif
 gotta hotlink it my man. you can't just paste an image on a message board like that. use something like tinypic or photobucket

Originally Posted by LeroyTheGreat38

How do I get downloaded items to automatically open in Word?
set Word to be the default program for documents. right click a document, go to "get Info"
attachment.php

scroll down to "Open With and set the document to Microsoft Word

I usually change my dock with the docklibrary app, but that doesn't work with most of the docks on deviantart...
How do you customize docks with the .rar and .zip files? 
nerd.gif

i've spent the last two days messing around with my new macbook and wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread.  It's been a ridiculous resource and the end result is something I never imagined a laptop could be capable of. Now I just need to learn how to properly use Geektool to add a few more things. If anyone can send a tutorial my way that's easily understandable, i'd be indebted. Here's my current setup. The quality is crap but the only camera I have is the one on my iphone. Thanks again to all the past 300 past pages worth of Mac goodness
when i introduced myself to Geektool a few years back, this as the easiest and most informative tutorial i found. Once you try it once, you'll get it. it looks harder than it is. There are 4 vids in total so just peep her YouTube channel

Originally Posted by JUS3

I usually change my dock with the docklibrary app, but that doesn't work with most of the docks on deviantart...
How do you customize docks with the .rar and .zip files? 
nerd.gif
download Candybar. extract the rar or zip archives, add the folder to Candybar and apply the icons you want. then log out and log back in. If some icons aren't changed, take them off your dock and put them  back on

^Word.  Good looks on the help..  I'm cool with changing icons, but I'm trying to figure out how to change the actual docks..
This is what my dock library app looks like...

21km7ur.png

Most of the docks on deviantart don't work in this app. 
tired.gif

^Word.  Good looks on the help..  I'm cool with changing icons, but I'm trying to figure out how to change the actual docks..

tired.gif
Try Dockulicious 

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by you right

$183/$239 for the 13"/15" 
A cracked screen is a tier 3 or tier 4 repair i believe, so you're gonna be shelling out at least $250 to get it fixed from Apple without AppleCare. if that's the case, you may want to look at outside sources or even on craigslist. 
what if i buy applecare, will it be cheaper? Also I have another problem with the computer that apple gave me a new one the first time i reported it. If i bring it in for the same problem but with a broken screen this time will they refuse to give me a new one again??? 
The problem is when i try to connect to wifi it scans but wont connect, which forces me to restart my router and then it works. About the 3x a week this goes on..

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

tired.gif
Try Dockulicious 
Will it work on Mac OS X?

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

laugh.gif
i already posted a pic of my desktop setup a couple of posts back, I was trying to upload a pic of my mbp connected to my hdtv.  Let me know if you can help on that.  Thanks though
laugh.gif
can you give me more information on how you got your itunes to look like that? is that coversutra? that looks cleannn
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom