The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by threat6

Never had a Mac before but I'm looking to cop one before school starts in the fall. Why should I get a MacBook Pro verse thes regular MacBook

depends on what you need it for
regular web surfing, music, school work should be fine on a Macbook although it looks like you'll be stuck having to get a refurb since they seem to have discontinued the Macbook in favor of the Macbook Air

It takes a while to get used to.. but i'm loving Lion so far.
I can definitely see full screen and mission control speeding up my workflow 

So I got a new iMac less then 30 days ago. I am not sure if I just heard this somewhere but am I eligible to get Lion for free?

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

So I got a new iMac less then 30 days ago. I am not sure if I just heard this somewhere but am I eligible to get Lion for free?

yes

So if I only have Leopard on my MBP do I have to d/l snow leopard first before I can upgrade to Lion?

And if so where's the cheapest/easiest place to do that?

Originally Posted by srvballer

So if I only have Leopard on my MBP do I have to d/l snow leopard first before I can upgrade to Lion?

I kind of don't get it either but from the Apple site, it seems you get to install Snow Leopard before you purchase Lion. Maybe when you buy Lion, it you have to go to the Apple icon and it allows you to install Leopard first.

From the Apple site:
Get up to date with the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard to purchase OS X Lion from the Mac App Store. If you have Snow Leopard, click the Apple icon and choose Software Update to install Snow Leopard v10.6.8, the latest version.

Originally Posted by srvballer

So then the question becomes whether there are any technical reasons you can’t install Lion over Leopard. Based on our testing, the Lion installer refuses to install Lion onto a drive containing Leopard (10.5); in fact, it refuses to install on any drive running a version of Mac OS X below 10.6.6. It will, however, install onto a blank drive, so Lion clearly doesn't need any of Snow Leopard's files or settings.

You may be thinking, “It will install onto a blank drive? Then I’ll just copy the installer to my Leopard-equipped Mac, connect an empty hard drive, install Lion there, and then use Migration Assistant to move my files over to to it.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

amn they killed off the white macbook
laugh.gif

guess everything is gonna be "pro" these days
grin.gif

it will be back with a new blackbook rumors are next month 

I just got a Macbook Pro and I'm really confused with all this OS stuff that I see posted around, can anybody direct me to a good website where I can read all about this and step my knowledge up a bit? Thanks

Originally Posted by freshKRN

Here yall go if you bought on or after june 09th yall shoud be good

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Man! I thought I could download it when i got home from work. I guess I have to fill out that form and wait for a response later.
Did you get a code after you filled out the form.  Open the App Store and hit the Redeem link on the right side then type in your code to get the free upgrade.
Before all that you need to have the newest Snow Leopard update.  You can just click on the apple icon and hit Software Update.

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by freshKRN

Here yall go if you bought on or after june 09th yall shoud be good

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Man! I thought I could download it when i got home from work. I guess I have to fill out that form and wait for a response later.
Did you get a code after you filled out the form.  Open the App Store and hit the Redeem link on the right side then type in your code to get the free upgrade.
Before all that you need to have the newest Snow Leopard update.  You can just click on the apple icon and hit Software Update.

Oh right on. I actually haven't even tried it and I assumed that I had to wait for some sort of confirmation. Thanks for the heads up.

^^^I see them on Craigslist for a $1000 with the Applecare. There are some that are worth more because they are loaded with programs but realistically to sell, I think $850-900 would be about right.

Quick question: Is the upgrade to an i7 processor on the MBA worth it over the i5? Or should I just cop the regular one? It's only like a 200MHz difference per core for $150. Thoughts?
nerd.gif

i have a suple blk supreme background and everything else is default. i like my stuff to be original

Back
Top Bottom