The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by PO2345

Questions:

1. Once I buy Lion once, can I install it on other Mac's? Or is it just for one DL?

2. Will all my Data/Music/Programs/Files be on my Mac post-Lion? Or will it be like a brand new Mac? Thanks.

3. What's the biggest additions/improvements?

Thanks

PO

1.you can download as many times as you want or any mac you have
2.Yes, if want to stay safe do a time machine back up 1st before you update. I didn't any everything was still there where i left it
3. Read up on it. Apple.com

So I went to the trackpad settings and my computer is not recognizing my mouse for some reason. It just sits there and tries to search for it but it can't be found. Anyone have some tips on this?

Originally Posted by ggarvinXX3

has uprgrading to lion made people start using safari more??

before i upgraded i always used google chrome but since the upgrade i can't use gestures to go back and forward on web pages anymore
get bettertouchtool

http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=1722

even though it says snow leopard only it works with lion too.

allows for user made gestures in the program of your choice. swipes, taps, 2 finger 3 finger 4 finger etc

every mac user should have this program imo

yo is lion slow as hell when it first gets installed?
30t6p3b.gif

yo also. Expose' isnt working like its supposed to. it only shows the current window im on instead of lining them all up like on Snow Leopard. It should work the way the System Settings previews show
30t6p3b.gif

nvm, expose' now only works for multiple windows of the same app like firefox not all the ones you have open
indifferent.gif
$*!@ mission control

is there some kind of way to change the theme in safari? thats one reason why i like FF because of the custom ability but now it looks like I'm going back to safari after the update until FF can do full screen

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

is there some kind of way to change the theme in safari? thats one reason why i like FF because of the custom ability but now it looks like I'm going back to safari after the update until FF can do full screen

safari is not open sourced, so Apple won't be greenlighting any custom themes like that. You can try macthemes.net though. I'm sure somebody has thrown up a few mods or skins

Question. Even though I'm private browsing in Safari, all of the pages I've been to on facebook show up in my history. Any ideas?

EDIT. It also does it for NT too. They keep showing up in the history even though I'm private browsing. What am I missing?
nerd.gif

I just recently bought a MBP this month and I'm looking to upgrade the HD so, I was wondering what is the biggest (capacity wise) and fastest HD I can upgrade to in my new 15' MBP.

Thanks~

Originally Posted by QuKtIc

I just recently bought a MBP this month and I'm looking to upgrade the HD so, I was wondering what is the biggest (capacity wise) and fastest HD I can upgrade to in my new 15' MBP.

Thanks~

WD makes a Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" drive @ 5400 RPMs. that's as big as one youre gonna fit internally. he catch is that you need a 9.5mm tall model (most large capacity internals are 12.5mm...too tall to fit in a macbook. Just make sure it fits that size requrement and you're good. You can also get a 512GB SSD if you wanna break the bank

I know this has been posted 10 million times, but once again you guys feel there is a better value in an iMac or MBP? This would be used for web browsing, running Boot camp or VMare to do some programing on windows and MS Office stuff like MS Project and Visio, web design etc.

I`m looking between 15 inch or an iMac I see some iMac refurbs for great prices. I do have a Sony Vaio to hold on to, for when I eventually start grad school if I needed a portable machine more powerful than my iPad but idk. Suggestions?

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

I know this has been posted 10 million times, but once again you guys feel there is a better value in an iMac or MBP? This would be used for web browsing, running Boot camp or VMare to do some programing on windows and MS Office stuff like MS Project and Visio, web design etc.

I`m looking between 15 inch or an iMac I see some iMac refurbs for great prices. I do have a Sony Vaio to hold on to, for when I eventually start grad school if I needed a portable machine more powerful than my iPad but idk. Suggestions?
For me personally, i would go with the macbook pro. Whats the point of having an iMac, the vaio, and an iPad 2? Kill two birds with one stone and sell the vaio to get the macbook pro. The iMacs are cool and all, but aren't exactly portable. Also, being in school laptop>anything. 

My thing is with iMacs I assume repairs are a B, and with the 17 in MBP joint is 700 bucks more than an entry level iMac which is better spec. And selling used PCs seems like a waste of time to me cause of no resale value and od scammers. The vaio could b used for programming on the go but hell Idk
frown.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

My thing is with iMacs I assume repairs are a B, and with the 17 in MBP joint is 700 bucks more than an entry level iMac which is better spec. And selling used PCs seems like a waste of time to me cause of no resale value and od scammers. The vaio could b used for programming on the go but hell Idk
frown.gif
If you want value, and portability isn't a MUST, then I'd say iMac 100%. I was in the same boat and went with the iMac. BUT it's the only mac I have right now, and I kinda do wish I had a macbook at times so I'm probably gonna look into the new Air's which are $1k and perform almost has well as some of the mbp. In other words... I have no $!*++#! clue, just get a mac and start enjoying it. And check out my blog, and follow me on twitter, and stuff. 

I am planning on buy a Macbook pro. The guy at Apple said the OS lion is only download and there is no word of lion being the main OS in the macbook pros. I am sketched out about downloading lion. windows 7 had a problem when they upgraded PCs because of the loopholes that caused PCs problems. I rather have the full version of OS done by Apple themselves. Should I wait a bit longer to see if Lion becomes the main OS or just download the free version they offer when I purchase the macbook? I don't to spend all that money on the macbook and have problems.

so after upgrading to Lion you can no longer use PowerPC apps... Is there any updates that can allow me to use them again?

Back
Top Bottom