The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Made a thread for this, but no help from anyone so far so I'll try posting in here maybe someone can help me out because I need all the help I can get...

Copied from original thread:

Like the title says... I know there are some computer savy people especially with Macs on here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay I will try my best to describe my problem...

I believe it was either Saturday or Sunday that the problem first happened.

I was watching a video (
nerd.gif
yes adult youtube type video) on a site and I don't remember if I expanded to full screen, but the computer like froze up and a dark grey curtain fell over the screen that was somewhat translucent and this message popped up.

TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg

So since it's a 2008 MBP I have no restart button so I decide to hold down the power button until it shuts off and then turn it on again... same message appears... I do this like 3-5 more times and still the same thing.  So I decide to let it sit for a while, which turned into a day because I had to go to work, and while at work I started looking for solutions.

Came home and tried a solution that work... temporarily... I held the X button upon startup and it worked and I then ran start up disk like it said to on the troubleshooting I learned from Google.  Thought all was well... so I decide to venture back to said site that's just like flash players like youtube, but with more geared towards young adolescences.  Things were good for a little and then the problem started happening again and more frequent.

I kept doing the hold X thing and it work like 1-2 more times and now that Kernel Panic screen doesn't go away at all and I can't boot up the MBP at all.

I tried doing the thing where you hold X at start up... no luck!

I tried holding down shift at start up to boot into safe mode and it still doesn't work.

I tried some PRAM thing where you hold down cntrl + option + p + r and that didn't work.

Anyone ever had this problem or know how to fix it... I'm not covered under warranty anymore so before I take it into Apple and the use the KY on me I figured I ask on here to see if anyone can help me remedy this problem.
Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you back up your data with time machine, the best advice i can give you is to do a fresh install of leopard.

Also that notification is a not from system its self, its probably some malware.

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Quick question: Is the upgrade to an i7 processor on the MBA worth it over the i5? Or should I just cop the regular one? It's only like a 200MHz difference per core for $150. Thoughts?
nerd.gif

nah stick with i5, not that big of a difference for this kind of machine. hd space would be the better thing to spend money on

i wish the air came in a 15 inch model if that would of happened i would of never bought my new 2011 MBP 15 inch.. but for now i love my MBP

Is it me or did they reverse the scroll direction the mouse with Lion? That thing is driving me crazy right now. I do like the auto correct on Lion though. Much better then the iPhone version.

Originally Posted by presequel

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Quick question: Is the upgrade to an i7 processor on the MBA worth it over the i5? Or should I just cop the regular one? It's only like a 200MHz difference per core for $150. Thoughts?
nerd.gif

nah stick with i5, not that big of a difference for this kind of machine. hd space would be the better thing to spend money on

Thanks. Was just wondering if it was a big deal since there is theoretically a 400 MHz difference in clock speed; or should i worry more about RAM?
nerd.gif
My mom's MBA (2010 model 11inch entry level, i think) doesn't feel zippy enough for me.
ohwell.gif
I plan on copping the 11 inch one for everyday use, with the occassional heavy Photoshop editing. I currently do have a 500GB external that's barely filled up, so I think 128GB is pretty good enough already for me.

Actually bought it from the AppStore, for $30 it wasn't too bad to torrent. So far so good.

Mission Control is crack tho!

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Is it me or did they reverse the scroll direction the mouse with Lion? That thing is driving me crazy right now. I do like the auto correct on Lion though. Much better then the iPhone version.

Yea, they made it just like the iPhone scrolling. I can't get used to that yet even tho I'm also a iPhone user. I turned it off (settings,trackpad)

anybody else holding out on Lion?
from all that i've seen and used, i dont like it at all. I don't wanna be stuck with an OS i cant downgrade or mod so i'm gonna ride out with SL until someone themes Lion with SL-like features. I know a more mobile- like operating system is the future for both Mac OS and Windows (with Windows
glasses.gif
but i can't get with it 
ohwell.gif

For me its pretty much the same. Launchpad was used by me using "stacks" and mission control is basically the same as I had on SL using the "all windows" feature in expose. I have Lion on my SSD and my HDD is still under SL in case I run into any issues

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Yea, they made it just like the iPhone scrolling. I can't get used to that yet even tho I'm also a iPhone user. I turned it off (settings,trackpad)

I didn't even know there was a trackpad setting. I went to the mouse setting and was confused why there was no option to reverse the scroll. Also is the two finger double tap feature that brings up Launchpad not working as well?

I also don't think Lion is that much different. The Launchpad and other shortcut features seem cool but also unnecessary. I guess I have to just get used to it.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by bonafide125

Has anyone got it from torrent sites yet?
yup, there's plenty of them out

@Fongstarr that reverse scroll *++% got turned off immediately by me
laugh.gif

is it safe to just install by double click? im hearing some people putting theirs on flash drives or dvds for a  'clean install" but i dont really know what that is, i think it deletes all your files right? i just want to upgrade to lion

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by bonafide125

Has anyone got it from torrent sites yet?
yup, there's plenty of them out

@Fongstarr that reverse scroll *++% got turned off immediately by me
laugh.gif

is it safe to just install by double click? im hearing some people putting theirs on flash drives or dvds for a  'clean install" but i dont really know what that is, i think it deletes all your files right? i just want to upgrade to lion

the torrent I downloaded had it as a .dmg file so all i had to do was install it like any other program on a Mac. No discs needed, it rebooted and installed on it's own

has uprgrading to lion made people start using safari more??

before i upgraded i always used google chrome but since the upgrade i can't use gestures to go back and forward on web pages anymore

anyone know where i can get a keyboard skin or cover for my 08 15" macbook pro. I want to keep it in pretty decent condition.

Originally Posted by OGMIKEY

anyone know where i can get a keyboard skin or cover for my 08 15" macbook pro. I want to keep it in pretty decent condition.

search up KB covers, i bought mine for around 29.99 its expensive but pretty good keyboard skin. mine is nude so its basically invisible lol

im kinda digging the new reverse scroll.  It was a pain at first but after 5 min, it was pretty simple for me.

TJ Detweiler said:

I didn't even know there was a trackpad setting. I went to the mouse setting and was confused why there was no option to reverse the scroll. Also is the two finger double tap feature that brings up Launchpad not working as well?

I also don't think Lion is that much different. The Launchpad and other shortcut features seem cool but also unnecessary. I guess I have to just get used to it.

To change it, go into System Settings -> Trackpad -> Scroll & Zoom -> uncheck the Scroll Direction: Natural. I did that... That reverse scrolling was annoying! Haha.

I upgraded to Lion yesterday, messed with it a bit, and noticed it uses a lot of my memory... Went to Fry's, and upgraded my 2gb ram into 8gb's. Super fast! Anybody have any tips and tricks with this OS X Lion? All I found different was the trackpads, mission control, full screen apps (amazing btw)... Where are the rest of the 250+ changes?!

Questions:

1. Once I buy Lion once, can I install it on other Mac's? Or is it just for one DL?

2. Will all my Data/Music/Programs/Files be on my Mac post-Lion? Or will it be like a brand new Mac? Thanks.

3. What's the biggest additions/improvements?

Thanks

PO

Back
Top Bottom