The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

ayy guys.. anyway to get alerts for when a new chrome or firefox tab is opened? LIke a chime or something?

Last edited:
I bought a used MacBook Air a few days ago but the guy didn't restore it before he sold it to me so all of his apps and files etc were still on it. So I just went to erase the hard drive and reinstall OS X and I've run into a problem. I followed the instructions on this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph4439

When I get to step 7, it asks me to type my Apple ID in, but when I do, it tells me that since I didn't purchase OS X Mavericks, I can't install it. I thought Mavericks was free? Any help? :nerd:

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. On reboot I should've done Command+Option+R to restore the original OS that the computer shipped with, which isn't linked to an Apple ID. Then from there I can update to Mavericks.

Last edited:
got a new macbook air last week but havent been able to play around with it 
frown.gif

its been sitting at my office trying to figure out how to install my VPN on it for work so i can work from home.

still have my macbook white but its on its last legs and the browser is the only thing that doesnt give me the spinning beach ball of death

So I open my Macbook today (13.3 white unibody, 2010) and when I hit the power button nothing happens. Plug in the charger and it has the faintest green light i have ever seen. Like you have to cup your hands over the charger to see that it's lighting up but it is lighting up tho. Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this? I'm pretty sure it's a battery problem and am taking it to Apple tomorrow but wanted to see if any had this problem in the meantime.

So I open my Macbook today (13.3 white unibody, 2010) and when I hit the power button nothing happens. Plug in the charger and it has the faintest green light i have ever seen. Like you have to cup your hands over the charger to see that it's lighting up but it is lighting up tho. Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this? I'm pretty sure it's a battery problem and am taking it to Apple tomorrow but wanted to see if any had this problem in the meantime.

shouldnt it be able to turn on with just the adapter and no battery?

What are some cool apps to download?
Note: New Macbook user.
Same here. The only apps I've installed so far are Google Chrome, Microsoft Office, and VMware Fusion 6 Pro, the last 2 being solely for work purposes :lol:.

Last edited:

Better snap Tool - Snap windows side to side like windows 7
Loginox - Custom login wallpapers for login screen when first starting up macbook
Boom - Increase Macbook maximum volume
The Unarchiver - Winzip/Winrar alternative
Transmission - Torrent downloader
VLC - Media player
Caffiene - Make you Macbook not fall asleep (good for gaming)

^ Just downloaded a few of those, thanks.

I've got another question too. Years ago antivirus/malware programs for Mac were unneeded but that was because they had such a small market share compared to Windows. Is this still the case or should I install a scanner or 2 just to play it safe? If so, any recommendations?

^ Just downloaded a few of those, thanks.

I've got another question too. Years ago antivirus/malware programs for Mac were unneeded but that was because they had such a small market share compared to Windows. Is this still the case or should I install a scanner or 2 just to play it safe? If so, any recommendations?
I use ClamXav I run it once a week to make sure everything is good.

Still running on Snow Leopard, updated to Mountain Lion before and it was too laggy for me. I'll just stick with this OS until I get a new MBP

Better snap Tool - Snap windows side to side like windows 7
Loginox - Custom login wallpapers for login screen when first starting up macbook
Boom - Increase Macbook maximum volume
The Unarchiver - Winzip/Winrar alternative
Transmission - Torrent downloader
VLC - Media player
Caffiene - Make you Macbook not fall asleep (good for gaming)

Good looks on the first one.

Thanks for the Loginox suggestion, didn't want to constantly mess with the system files.

Forgot I was rocking 10.9 :smh:

I'll wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's Apple's deal with chargers? I thought they couldn't get any worse when I started using iPhones a few years ago. But with this new Macbook it's even worse. I can't even sit on my couch while it's charging because the outlet is too far at like 2 feet away. :smh: :smh:

Last edited:
Speaking of chargers, I copped a iphone 5 charger from T Mobile and it only works half the time because Apple doesn't allow other brands to make chargers :rolleyes becoming more of a monopoly

I'm looking to get a sleeve for my 13" Macbook Air so I can carry it in my Jansport without getting scratched up. This looks like it was designed for a Pro but am I right in assuming it'd be fine for my Air?

Amazon product ASIN B00791SBYA
Anyone have any experience with this particular sleeve? Hopefully that little zipper pocket can fit my Magic Mouse.

Last edited:
My battery life on my mid-2010MBP has increased exponentially with maverick. And these notifications are extremely useful.

I'm looking to get a sleeve for my 13" Macbook Air so I can carry it in my Jansport without getting scratched up. This looks like it was designed for a Pro but am I right in assuming it'd be fine for my Air?

Amazon product ASIN B00791SBYA
Anyone have any experience with this particular sleeve? Hopefully that little zipper pocket can fit my Magic Mouse.

Check ross and marshalls I got a incase sleeve yesterday for $8.

Back
Top Bottom