The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

I can upgrade the ssd on my early 15 MBA right?

which ssd do you guys recommend? right now I have the 128gb ssd with 8gb of ram. Didn't think I'd need a lot of storage since I have an external but why not upgrade if I can.
If you have the 128gb now, I would at least go for a 512gb SSD if you can swing it. If not, the 240/250gb sized one will work for you too. If you can see your space filling up quickly or over time though, go for a larger one. Also, larger SSDs perform better (faster read/write seeds) than smaller ones, so that was another reason I opted for one at the 512 size for you as well. 

Which SSD would you recommend? :nerd:

I put a Samsung SSD in my early 2011 pro
I am using a Samsung SSD myself personally as well and they are getting great reviews by everyone. 

The only thing about the Samsung SSD so far is that they do not support TRIM.
When an operating system uses TRIM with a solid-state drive, it sends a signal to the SSD every time you delete a file. The SSD knows that the file is deleted and it can erase the file’s data from its flash storage.  With flash memory, it’s faster to write to empty memory — to write to full memory, the memory must first be erased and then written to. This causes your SSD to slow down over time  unless TRIM is enabled. TRIM ensures the physical NAND memory locations containing deleted files are erased before you need to write to them. The SSD can then manage its available storage more intelligently.

Windows 7 and newer have had built-in support for TRIM, which they enable for all SSDs. Historically, Mac OS X has only enabled TRIM for the solid-state drives Apple provides. Users who installed their own SSDs had to hunt down third-party tools that enabled TRIM in an unsupported way.
Granted, this is directly from Samsung's own website: http://www.samsung.com/global/busin.../SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper04.html
 As it requires OS support, not all users will be able to use native TRIM functionality. On PCs, TRIM is supported in Windows 7 or later. On Macs, TRIM is only supported for Apple’s OEM SSDs and is not supported for Samsung’s (or any other manufacturers’) aftermarket SSDs. 
Guess I will leave TRIM turned off for now.
laugh.gif

^ Isn't there a way to enable TRIM on an SSD for OSX? I remember doing it.

Then again it has been a while.

So I'm going to upgrade my Mid 2012 Pro to max out ram and SSD. Can anyone give me a reputable place I can do this in New York?

I wanted to ask you guys something, I just got my first MacBook, a 2012 pro with an i5 and eight gigs of ram. I realize this is slightly outdated, but how are your guys running? I will be using this in college, and I plan on keeping it for a few years, do you think that is realistic? I plan on buying 16 gigs of ram and an ssd soon, i'm hoping this will ensure it's lifespan.

It ran super well for the first month I have had it, but the last couple of weeks it has been slowing down. It doesn't lag necessarily, but scrolling websites such as niketalk stutters occasionally. Do you think it would be worth upgrading, if I may have to sell it in a couple years to get a new one, and if I do upgrade it do you think it will perform well for another two years? 

I wanted to ask you guys something, I just got my first MacBook, a 2012 pro with an i5 and eight gigs of ram. I realize this is slightly outdated, but how are your guys running? I will be using this in college, and I plan on keeping it for a few years, do you think that is realistic? I plan on buying 16 gigs of ram and an ssd soon, i'm hoping this will ensure it's lifespan.

It ran super well for the first month I have had it, but the last couple of weeks it has been slowing down. It doesn't lag necessarily, but scrolling websites such as niketalk stutters occasionally. Do you think it would be worth upgrading, if I may have to sell it in a couple years to get a new one, and if I do upgrade it do you think it will perform well for another two years? 
Get that SSD, put your OS on it.

Take out the CD drive and put your current hard drive in that slot.

I got this for $20 a couple of years ago: Amazon product ASIN B00724W0N2

Idk if any of you do design but I purchased an app called 'Pixelmator' for my macbook and it works great.

It's for the most part a carbon copy of Photoshop, but the difference is photoshop is $10/month whereas this program is a one-time $29.99.

It may or may not lack some features but so far I've been using it for a few days and at it's core, works seamlessly. The UI doesn't feel cheap, it feels full and well designed.

I'll try to upload some work I've done on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have experience using PNY memory? Picked up a 16GB (2x8 kit) last week. I'm reading older reviews online some good/ some bad for Mac.

Late 2011 13" mbp i5

Last edited:
Also, I wish I had researched known issues on the late 2011 mbp's. Took mine in to the Genius bar early last week with multiple issues. Wouldn't boot/Bad HDD, display issue. Apple sent it off for depot repair $280 plus tax, swapped out the logic board, HDD, Display, and a few cables.
Got it back Friday and noticed that the keyboard backlight was brighter on the middle keys than on the sides. Dropped it off yesterday for depot once again, the genius recommended they replace the whole top case. With all they've done, it probably would have been easier to just swap it out.

Last edited:
Hey fellas, I'm seeking counsel from the tech gods.

Moving into a new office and am looking to purchase an iMac. The question is, what are the best deals currently available? Should I buy new or is it common to buy last years model for a better deal? I don't believe what I do is resource intensive, I mostly do word processing and pdf viewing--but often with multiple windows open of each simultaneously. I also don't have a preference as to which size I want.

Plz help :nerd:

Hey fellas, I'm seeking counsel from the tech gods.

Moving into a new office and am looking to purchase an iMac. The question is, what are the best deals currently available? Should I buy new or is it common to buy last years model for a better deal? I don't believe what I do is resource intensive, I mostly do word processing and pdf viewing--but often with multiple windows open of each simultaneously. I also don't have a preference as to which size I want.

Plz help :nerd:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/5/9670426/apple-imac-review-27-inch-5k-21-inch-4k-retina

I prefer MBP + Monitor combo vs iMac but the entry level 21 in joint would be more than fine for what you need (although I prefer no less than a 27 inch screen)

so I didn't like the "metallicly" feel of the trackpad and I ordered a 'trackpad film' that makes the trackpad feel smooth (think phone screen protector) and it makes a world of difference for me.

I'm finally going to buy a new MBP soon to replace my current one from late 2008. There's potentially new MBs coming this month during the Apple announcement, right? Just wondering if I should wait.

Your entry level or one after that in the MBP could do what you need. i7 doesn't always mean better. But if your company is paying for all this then all mean get close to the budget in the MBP.

The air is just a waste at this point.

Apple care doesn't cover as much as it says. You could do alot of the work yourself but if your company is paying for it why not.

I stopped by the Apple Store a few weeks ago at the advice of my boss to meet his Apple business rep. A very knowledgeable person in my opinion. They spec out a comparison of our new portable workstations an he echoed what everyone in here has been saying 15' mbp. He recommended not to upgrade anything since he felt I wasn't a power user, said a portable hard drive would be cheaper off of Amazon. He finished with don't buy anything till on or after the Apple event.

He did recommend parallels. Anyone using it?

Your entry level or one after that in the MBP could do what you need. i7 doesn't always mean better. But if your company is paying for all this then all mean get close to the budget in the MBP.

The air is just a waste at this point.

Apple care doesn't cover as much as it says. You could do alot of the work yourself but if your company is paying for it why not.
I stopped by the Apple Store a few weeks ago at the advice of my boss to meet his Apple business rep. A very knowledgeable person in my opinion. They spec out a comparison of our new portable workstations an he echoed what everyone in here has been saying 15' mbp. He recommended not to upgrade anything since he felt I wasn't a power user, said a portable hard drive would be cheaper off of Amazon. He finished with don't buy anything till on or after the Apple event.

He did recommend parallels. Anyone using it?
Yea I would also recommend you wait until after the Apple event becauses of great deals will come to the older models plus never know if a new MP will be talked about.

Parallels is probably the best way to use Windows on your Mac. You will be able to switch between both OS with ease 

Can anyone help me out? So my Macbook Pro with Retina that I've barely had for 2 months all of a sudden has this blue horizontal line about 3 inches wide in the middle of the screen. I have an outer shell on it. I've barely used it and have never bumped it. I'll post a pic soon. But curious if this is something that Apple will take care of? Someone said it can be a bad connection from the motherboard to the monitor, but I'm positive I didn't physically damage the computer. It was fine last night and now this straight blue line is there. It's very faint, but definitely there.

Any help? :nerd:

Last edited:
Can anyone help me out? So my Macbook Pro with Retina that I've barely had for 2 months all of a sudden has this blue horizontal line about 3 inches wide in the middle of the screen. I have an outer shell on it. I've barely used it and have never bumped it. I'll post a pic soon. But curious if this is something that Apple will take care of? Someone said it can be a bad connection from the motherboard to the monitor, but I'm positive I didn't physically damage the computer. It was fine last night and now this straight blue line is there. It's very faint, but definitely there.

Any help? :nerd:

If it's only 2 months old take it into Apple. They'll take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom