The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

What can I do to make my MBP mid 2012 feel even lighter.  I'm going to change to SSD and and max out ram after this weekend when I order the parts.  Hopedully amzon prime delievres on the weekends. I'm pretty simple and straight forward  so I just to to get the ones that are the best company and basically the top and best thing to get.  Don't want to take chances and just get something mediocore.  Any suggestions will be very helpful.  

forgot about this thread. ok so i've replaced the battery in my mid 2010 core 2 duo macbook pro 2x in the past couple years and it still cannot hold a charge. im talking a few hours at best. this thing was rated at 10 hrs new.

also in the past 2 years i've upgraded to samsung evo SSD and went up to 8GB ram. im ready to toss in the towel on this laptop as i cannot figure out what the hell is the deal with the power consumption...first i thought it was teh battery since i got it off ebay (tho im sure it was legit) so i go to ifxit and get a battery from them. still same problem. if the laptop was rated at 10hrs new, a fresh battery should put it back there, so whats the deal? :nerd:

any ideas? at this point i gave up and am waiting for that next gen mb air to drop this summer.

What can I do to make my MBP mid 2012 feel even lighter.  I'm going to change to SSD and and max out ram after this weekend when I order the parts.  Hopedully amzon prime delievres on the weekends. I'm pretty simple and straight forward  so I just to to get the ones that are the best company and basically the top and best thing to get.  Don't want to take chances and just get something mediocore.  Any suggestions will be very helpful.  
They do. Even sometimes on Sunday. Depending on the carrier they use.

Do you guys advise buying a used MBP off Craigslist or eBay? Any production years that I should avoid?

Really considering selling my iMac and going back to MBP. 

For those that upgraded to an ssd did you partition the drive to 1 partition after installing it? About to open my mac up but some videos on youtube show partitioning while others don't.

225 for upgrading to 8 GB Ram and I believe 2xx SSD.  I think it's a reasonable deal.  What you guys think? It's including the labor.

225 for upgrading to 8 GB Ram and I believe 2xx SSD.  I think it's a reasonable deal.  What you guys think? It's including the labor.
Hmmm could go cheaper but it maybe a $60 difference but $225 on upgrading a 2012 could be used to save towards a new one or a used 2015/16 model.

Save yourself some money and put the parts in yourself. How much for the SSD and what brand is it? I spent $141 for a 500gb Samsung evo 850 SSD from Newegg.

Last edited:
Anyone ever built a hackintosh?
I did it in college when it was still relatively in its infancy. The motherboard in my computer was very similar to a stock Mac so it ran really well. I imagine it's even better now. Definitely worth trying it out.

Last edited:
Save yourself some money and put the parts in yourself. How much for the SSD and what brand is it? I spent $141 for a 500gb Samsung evo 850 SSD from Newegg.

225 was max I was spending. Basically these are what I'm getting.

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)

Amazon product ASIN B00OAJ412U
And

Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT102464BF160B

Amazon product ASIN B006YG8X9Y
I think it's a pretty good deal and in my budget. Do you guys suggest something better?

And

Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT102464BF160B

I think it's a pretty good deal and in my budget. Do you guys suggest something better?

Those are good prices but if you can wait the SSD can be had for a few bucks lower. Just set up an alert on SD and something might come up soon. But you should be able to put those in no problem. Just gotta have the right screwdrivers.

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...evo&pp=20&sort=newest&previousdays=-1&forumid[]=30&forumid[]=9&forumid[]=25

And

I got a 500 evo for 140 and 16gb ram for 80

Got this if anyone is interested just hit the pm. Speck case included

^ thanks man but I rather spend the few bucks getting sooner, getting it done on Tuesday

Note really worth paying for labor on those upgrades. It's was a pretty simple upgrade for me. I did it a few years ago but I remember that I just cloned my HD to the SSD and swapped them out. RAM literally takes a minute to do. Getting the screws out is the longest part.

Just upgraded my early MBP 2011's RAM to 16GB last week, next i'm grading the HD to a Samsung 850 EVO. Can't believe I slept this long. :smh:

Got an hour and a half left for all my data to transfer over until I experience the benefits of this ssd.

Got an hour and a half left for all my data to transfer over until I experience the benefits of this ssd.

It's gonna blow your mind, Photoshop now opens in literally second for me when before it was a very long process maybe even sometimes over a minute

It's gonna blow your mind, Photoshop now opens in literally second for me when before it was a very long process maybe even sometimes over a minute

Lightweight impressed right now. Photoshop is significantly faster than it was before but Lightroom still takes about 10sec to load. Also all my files that were in the download folder are now gone. No idea if they're gone or what.

Also can I get rid of "Install OS X Yosemite"?

Edit: Okay I just restarted my computer and damn! It used to take me over a minute for the computer to get to the login screen and then finish booting up but now it's less than 15 seconds. Impressed I am. :pimp: Might need to upgrade from 8gb of ram to 16 soon.

Last edited:
soooo OWC has finally dropped an SSD for the current retina MBP....but that $650 for 1TB price tag is a bit hefty. I have a 512 but looking to get 1TB...i was hoping they were going to announce a new line of MacBooks during the Apple event yesterday but that didn't happen so i am pushing for summer that I pray they drop an all black 15 in MBP

Back
Top Bottom