The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Alllllmost spur of the moment bought this today.  Is it a good deal, or is it considered ancient?  Figure I'd throw in a SSD and some more ram and call it a day.  Besides web browsing and the usual stuff, the most intensive program I use is Final Cut Pro X for video editing.   I know it wont have a "retina" screen and maybe some other things, but Im thinking it's got to be a good amount better than my 2007 Core2 Duo Macbook on Snow Leopard
laugh.gif

http://photobucket.com/For good measure, there was an i7 next to it for 600, same everything else.

I think that is a 2010 or 2011? Either way that isn't a bad deal , with more ram and an ssd that should be pretty fast.

I upgraded my 2012 to 16 gigs of ram and an sad, and it is really fast. I didn't realize how much quicker the sad was until l picked my laptop up after waking up. Usually it took a minute or two to start up, not even from being shut down but just from sleeping, now it is instantaneous 

I think that is a 2010 or 2011? Either way that isn't a bad deal , with more ram and an ssd that should be pretty fast.

I upgraded my 2012 to 16 gigs of ram and an sad, and it is really fast. I didn't realize how much quicker the sad was until l picked my laptop up after waking up. Usually it took a minute or two to start up, not even from being shut down but just from sleeping, now it is instantaneous 

Out of curiosity where did you get your ram and ssd from?

More than likely, most get their parts from Amazon or newegg.com

Just seen this drive for 140, I want to pull the trigger but I don't need the upgrade right now. People been saying that this really isn't a slick deal though.

Out of curiosity where did you get your ram and ssd from?

Amazon, both are crucial brand. Make sure the voltage on the RAM is low voltage, it is usually advertised as ddr3l RAM.

Thanks. So I'm lookin up how to partition the drive but all the videos I see have the drive connected to the computer before the install. I'm not doing that but I do have an external drive, I just don't want to erase everything that's on their. How did you backup the original hard drive?

Upgraded my ram from the original 4GB to 16GB and it's running incredibly faster. Picked it up from Best Buy, PNY brand.

Saw different reviews online, popped them in. Also came with lifetime warranty, if anything were to go wrong.

SSD may be next. This 500GB HDD hasn't let me down though

I just don't have the part that connects the ssd to the mac before installing it.

Alllllmost spur of the moment bought this today.  Is it a good deal, or is it considered ancient?  Figure I'd throw in a SSD and some more ram and call it a day.  Besides web browsing and the usual stuff, the most intensive program I use is Final Cut Pro X for video editing.   I know it wont have a "retina" screen and maybe some other things, but Im thinking it's got to be a good amount better than my 2007 Core2 Duo Macbook on Snow Leopard :lol:

For good measure, there was an i7 next to it for 600, same everything else.
Bruh you can get an open box their gen at best buy for 600. Don't purchase either of those.

Im looking to upgrading my 15 MBP with a newer MPB 15.

My dj software is not compatible with EL CAPITAN and was wondering,

If I purchased a Brand new MBP, can I change the software to an older version?

I was looking into a refurbished one that comes with YOSEMITE already. The only downfall is that for a couple more bucks, I can get a brand new one.

Im looking to upgrading my 15 MBP with a newer MPB 15.

My dj software is not compatible with EL CAPITAN and was wondering,

If I purchased a Brand new MBP, can I change the software to an older version?

I was looking into a refurbished one that comes with YOSEMITE already. The only downfall is that for a couple more bucks, I can get a brou and new one.
You can install the old OS on the new mac

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/delete-el-capitan-go-back-to-yosemite-3581872/

Thanks for the replies on the iMac fellas. Another question-- is it a must to opt for the fusion drive upgrade?

Last edited:
So I purchased a new MACBOOK PRO 15 inch yesterday.

Bestbuys website said the computer was running on Yosemite, but Its actually running on El Capitan.

I know theres a link posted already but is it easy to switch OS? I really want to use Yosemite on the new computer.

Bestbuys website said the computer was running on Yosemite, but Its actually running on El Capitan.

I know theres a link posted already but is it easy to switch OS? I really want to use Yosemite on the new computer.
Is your DJ software not legit or something? I imagine companies would push out updates to work on El Capitan

Is your DJ software not legit or something? I imagine companies would push out updates to work on El Capitan

Unfortunately for me the company that makes my midi controller for dj'ing (Hercules) hasn't put out drivers for El Capitan still. Such a bummer because I hate using other people's equipment.

It is, its SERATO DJ.

According to them, they dont get an early version of the newest OS, so when it comes out, they say not to download it because of bugs.

It takes them a long while to finally make the software stable with the newest OS. As of right now, PIONEER and SERATO havent figured out all the bugs on EL CAPITAN.

Everything runs smoothly on Yosemite. Thats why I want to go back to it. If not, no biggie, I can use my MAC for now.

I got this new MAC for $500 off. My friend had a a $2k gift card and I bought it off of him for $1500. So it was an easy decision to purchase now.

Anyone experience an issue where the fans are running faster than normal on startup? I shut down my laptop, waited 5 min and then restarted it. The fans are running a lot faster than they were last night and I don't even have any programs running.

When was the last time you cleaned out the air vents? You may have a bit of dust in there blocking the air flow.

When was the last time you cleaned out the air vents? You may have a bit of dust in there blocking the air flow.

I've never done that since I got it but I probably should. I opened up activity monitor and it turns out I had a document that needed to be printed. As soon as I canceled the printing the fans slowed down. It was taking up 790% of my cpu :x

Last edited:
Anyone experience an issue where the fans are running faster than normal on startup? I shut down my laptop, waited 5 min and then restarted it. The fans are running a lot faster than they were last night and I don't even have any programs running.

To add to what @mints said, you can also download a monitoring app like istat to check the fan speeds and or run Apple hardware test (aht) to really be safe.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

To add to what @mints said, you can also download a monitoring app like istat to check the fan speeds and or run Apple hardware test (aht) to really be safe.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Nice will bookmark that site.

Just bought an 850evo ssd 500gb. Not sure if I should spend the extra $20 for 3 years coverage through squaretrade. Anyone here spend the extra cash for the warranty?

Back
Top Bottom