The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

My new MBP came with Sierra...If I had it my way, I'd go back to Snow Leopard lol

Why is that? i have a 2011 early macbook pro and it runs perfect after replacing the battery upgrading the ram and ssd... i got mines on amazon day for a price match with staples for 150 for a 960gb sandisk ssd

Because those certain 2011-2012 models have faulty logic boards that Apple has been forced to replace.
And when you send in said Mac, they refurb the whole thing.
Logic board, optical drive and wiring, battery, MagSafe wiring, etc.

That ended this year tho

Last edited:
Da GOAT OS
smokin.gif
Yup, I really didn't see why the need for an upgrade. 

I was working for Apple at the time and so many people were upset when Lion was rolled out lol

Yup, I really didn't see why the need for an upgrade. 

I was working for Apple at the time and so many people were upset when Lion was rolled out lol

Lion was terrible. Such a step back, SL was so lean and quick, lion was bloated and bogged down IMO.

Why is that? i have a 2011 early macbook pro and it runs perfect after replacing the battery upgrading the ram and ssd... i got mines on amazon day for a price match with staples for 150 for a 960gb sandisk ssd

Because those certain 2011-2012 models have faulty logic boards that Apple has been forced to replace.

That ended this year tho

I had my logic board replaced two years ago in my 2011. I should be good for another year or two i hope.

And 1 of 1 imac? Is there a company that does this kind of stuff out there?

Last edited:

That sucks.

How do you like the touchbar though? Seems like a neat thing to use...But I couldn't justify the price of one.
Touchbar is dope. I really wasn't tripping off the price so no need to justify my purchase really. I'm sure it would be 200% more useful if I used photoshop or made beats or something lol. I find that I use it mostly while on Safari, YouTube scrubbing through videos, occasionally in messages for emojis/autocorrect, iTunes, and a few other things I can't think of right now. The Touch ID is pretty cool though. I don't use that to it's max potential either though (Apple Pay). It's nice to just press my finger there to unlock the computer instead of typing my PW. Lazy life lmao 
laugh.gif

That ended this year tho

funny you bring that up... because i also got my logic board replaced 2 years ago by apple... i had to pay for it and it was not cheap it was like 330... but apple emailed me saying im eligible for a refund because it was a defect... so they cut me a check thanks apple... it still runs good as new... hopefully it doesnt happen again though

if i need to get a new mac if my 2011 breaks so be it... but i refuse to buy the newer ones... i cant have a macbook with only 2 ports thats not acceptable... will probably get an older one like 2014 or 2015

Last edited:
funny you bring that up... because i also got my logic board replaced 2 years ago by apple... i had to pay for it and it was not cheap it was like 330... but apple emailed me saying im eligible for a refund because it was a defect... so they cut me a check thanks apple... it still runs good as new... hopefully it doesnt happen again though

if i need to get a new mac if my 2011 breaks so be it... but i refuse to buy the newer ones... i cant have a macbook with only 2 ports thats not acceptable... will probably get an older one like 2014 or 2015

Lol, nice

I sent it my cousin's 2011 15' since it was having GPU issues, so they changed the logic board and refurbed it.

I guess they got tired of fixing them, so they deemed them vintage or whatever smh

You need to take it to an apple store or a pc repair shop and have them transfer the files probably.

How do you deem it dead? Does it still boot? The first thing I would try is to pull the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and see if you can access the files on another computer or something.

Ended up copping my wife the space grey macbook. This thing is nice. I might end up getting a macbook pro myself. The non touchbar. I just dont see myself using the touchbar.

You guys think copping a 27' 5k iMac is worth it right now? Or should I wait?

Currently on a mid 09 mbp that is just crazy sluggish. I'm thinking an ssd upgrade would squeeze out more time on it but I'm personally thinking it's just not worth it to spend on an ssd on it. Especially if I'm thinning about upgrading to an iMac or maybe even a 15' mbp.

Any places you guys suggest I cop from as well?

Currently on a mid 09 mbp that is just crazy sluggish. I'm thinking an ssd upgrade would squeeze out more time on it but I'm personally thinking it's just not worth it to spend on an ssd on it. Especially if I'm thinning about upgrading to an iMac or maybe even a 15' mbp.

Also upgrading my '11 MBP soon. I was thinking about getting an iMac, but for me, if it has to be between the MBP and the iMac, I need portability.

Even my current MBP has been good enough for home use so I definitely don't need the extra power of the iMac. As for a bigger display, you can pair it with the 27' 5k LG Monitor that Apple is about to start selling soon. Looks amazing. You can do other cool things like multiple monitors and stuff too if you want to go that route. Seems like a better option than an iMac to me.

I'm going to be buying my MBP from the Apple store with the student discount. The discount takes a few hundred off the final price.

Last edited:

If you can afford it , why not?  Lol.  As far as the 09 MBP you have, throw a SSD in that bad boy.   SSD's are pretty inexpensive now and it's thee best upgrade you can do and will bring that machine back to life.  While youre in there, max out the ram just cause.  I did so to my 2011 MBP and it's great.  Also threw one into an old *** 2007 Macbook just because and it made that machine more than bearable for a beater laptop/kodi machine lol.   SSD the MBP and grab the iMac and you'll have the best of everything
nthat.gif

Or just do what the other dude said and grab a newer MBP and add a monitor etc
laugh.gif

MBP vs. iMac is all about your use-case with your computers. I had a MBP and I think I took it out of my office MAYBE 5 times in like 4 year...needless to say, I have an iMac 27" now 
laugh.gif
. Although, I did get an iPad Pro to move around the house with and/or take with me on trips if I want to. 

woot.com is selling Retina MBPs again if anyone is still looking/debating one.

who has game suggestions for the mbp? always wanted to get a few good first person shooters or an adventure joint but never pulled through 

I'm thinking you might need to get into the disk utility and see if you can clean up your disks. Sometimes storing all your junk files on an external will help. check out the new glyph ssd externals, I love mine.

id go straight for the mbp, unless your set on a desktop. I always would want the portability. I really have been enjoying the touch bar on mine. pretty impressive. 

^ its true though... i got a ssd and upgraded my ram in my 2011 and it runs perfect... i can have it for a long time thats if my logic board holds up :lol:

Back
Top Bottom