The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

On a similar note, can anyone recommend a good "junk" cleaner? Is CCleaner for Mac worth a try?

DIY don't pay someone to do it, that's just silly.
There's been too many times when customers did this and their SSD or HDD failed.

I dont recommend taking out the optical drive personally. Just buy a 500gig ssd and replace your hdd. SSDs are getting cheaper as well. 

DIY don't pay someone to do it, that's just silly.

There's been too many times when customers did this and their SSD or HDD failed.

I dont recommend taking out the optical drive personally. Just buy a 500gig ssd and replace your hdd. SSDs are getting cheaper as well. 

basically... its not that serious... theres really no need to replace the optical drive... its much more simple just replacing the OG hdd with an SSD... i took out my 500gig and replaced with a 960gig ssd and it runs perfect... the most difficult thing about the switch is transferring your data which is easy but time consuming...

I had an SSD put in and upgraded to 64 gb ram on my 2012 MBP about two months ago and so far so good. It boots up in less than 30 seconds now.

The only time I get the spinning wheel is when I change the font on Word. I have no idea why. I don't notice anymore overheating as well.

This thing should up and running until the motherboard goes out, right? I hope it goes on forever :lol:

The guy who did the install for me said that he's known a lot of older models that are still running strong. He said that he'll probably be out of biz in a few years since Apple solders everything now.

My early 2011 is working great after upgrades. Battery took a major hit after the Sierra upgrade, but that's the next thing I'm going to update. Apple lost me as a customer once they stated to solder.

Do you guys have any recommendations on mice other than Apple's Magic Mouse? 

I've been eyeing the Logitech MX Master, but I've been reading about all the connectivity/responsiveness issues uses have been having.

Trying to find something to use while I edit photos.

2013 Retna Display MBP

hella laggy now. real noticeable.

only thing i can remember changing is upgrading to Sierra.

Should I reformat or is there another solution out there?

I got 8GB RAM not sure if I can add. I got the new thin joints with no cd/dvd drive.

never was an issue before and i do video/picture editing on my MBP.

I have extended warranty from geeksquad so I might just take it in.

What do you guys think a top spec Mac Mini (Late 2012) Core i7 with 16gb ram and 1.25 TB fusion drive is worth? I barely use it, would like to either trade for a macbook 12 or sell and buy one.

Damn that's a little beast. I would take it off your hands if I had the dough, and the price is right.

I had an SSD put in and upgraded to 64 gb ram on my 2012 MBP about two months ago and so far so good. It boots up in less than 30 seconds now.

The only time I get the spinning wheel is when I change the font on Word. I have no idea why. I don't notice anymore overheating as well.

This thing should up and running until the motherboard goes out, right? I hope it goes on forever :lol:

The guy who did the install for me said that he's known a lot of older models that are still running strong. He said that he'll probably be out of biz in a few years since Apple solders everything now.

64gb ram?! I think I have 8gb, and I read that was the limit for the 2012 MPB. Or is that an apple lie?

64gb ram?! I think I have 8gb, and I read that was the limit for the 2012 MPB. Or is that an apple lie?
Yeah check https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/ for actual maxes.

Last edited:
64gb :wow: thought the max was 32

Might be time to upgrade my 2011 soon.

Last edited:
Some good 16gb performance ram should be enough for a notebook. If it's a non SSD model, getting an SSD is a better performance upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom