The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

For those who run VM windows, how is the experience? How much space does it take on the HD? Fairly smooth? I would only be running the Office suite as well for work.
I don't even use mine for the MS Office Suite. The Mac version works perfectly fine for me. But running the VM (I use VMware Fusion) is problem-free for me. You can set how much RAM it can use, how many CPU cores, how big to make the disk (Only before you install Windows. Default is 60GB I believe). There's no need to set anything else up. It piggybacks macOS's internet/Bluetooth connections. You can also set which directories are shared between macOS and the VM so you can seamlessly work with files within either OS. I'm on a 13in screen and have my VM set to 1280/720 resolution and it works fine for me.

Here's a screenshot of it in action:

And in VMware Fusion there's a pretty cool view option called "Unity" mode which will make it so all of the apps you have open in the VM will just look and act like Mac apps. Here's what that looks like:

The Chrome that's open in the background is a macOS app. The Calculator, Notepad, and Paint are all Windows apps. It even temporarily adds their icons to the dock. As well as the Windows Taskbar icons to the Mac "Taskbar" (not sure what it's actually called :lol:).

Last edited:
$310 or 2 racks. The choice is yours.

that sounds about right... i was getting quotes today and the cheapest i found was 225 but they just fix the logic board but if i pay 400 i get the whole thing replaced...i might go with the latter even if its more money... the thing is its 6 year old laptop that will break again eventually with the same exact problem since the 2011 is a defective model...its cheaper to fix it but not worth the headache... the one i want is 2500 but i know it will last longer and give me less trouble...but the 2011 runs really well when its working...

Last edited:
Throw windows 10 on a vm if its that serious. I use Office for Mac and its been sufficient for me

For work stuff, I was just going to VPN into my desktop.

I have a couple coworkers that do it, and they say it works great.

Most of the heavy lifting I do in excel will be done from the desk.

It'll just be updating models on planes, taking notes during am onsite meeting, etc.

i decided to retire my 2011 and just get a new macbook since its defective and even if i fix it will break eventually... i got the 2015 version brand new because i dont like that the 2016 barely has any docks and it would of been crazy expensive with the options im getting... the tax for the laptop was 230 if you live in NJ or NY for the store i picked it up from so i had it shipped to my aunts house in Los Angeles to avoid the tax :lol: I just have to pay her to ship it to me... its going to be a week or so until i get it... i cant wait... for now i just have to use my ipad or my fams pc which im on now

and that guy is not lying about the mac being pr0n proof... that is the main reason i got 1 to begin with

Last edited:
2015 models are still solid machines, glad you got one!

And very smart to have it shipped to CA to avoid the tax. I didn't know tax in NY is high. Sheesh.

I want to clear up the misconception that viruses cant get viruses. They can get viruses, unlike PC'c inorder for s virus to infect your MAC, your MAC will ask for your password. So if your MAC has a virus, you let it in.

Hackers want to infect as many systems as possible. There are still more PC's out there than MACs so most viruses are made for PCs. One sure fire way to get a virus on your MAC is downloading a "MAC" Cleaner.

I want to clear up the misconception that viruses cant get viruses. They can get viruses, unlike PC'c inorder for s virus to infect your MAC, your MAC will ask for your password. So if your MAC has a virus, you let it in.

Hackers want to infect as many systems as possible. There are still more PC's out there than MACs so most viruses are made for PCs. One sure fire way to get a virus on your MAC is downloading a "MAC" Cleaner.
My friend called me saying that he was on the phone with support for his Mac. I thought he meant Apple support. As I am messaging him and he tells me that he called the number that popped up and paid the PayPal link they sent him, all I could do was say "NOOOOO!!!!" It was too late though. He had already sent it :smh: I sent him the links to how ransomware works and told him to come through and let me format and re-install the OS for him. I asked what the heck he was doing with it and he said his wife was on it and clicked something of course :smh:

That new ipad for $329 has my attention, might get one as a secondary computer 
Where is this at and which iPad model??

Getting my new 2015 MacBook pro on friday. Can't wait! Only thing is I have to transfer data from my 2011 so it will take time to actually use it once I get it. But I'm hyped cuz I've been using my iPad mini for the past 2 weeks and I'm already bored of it lol

Getting my new 2015 MacBook pro on friday. Can't wait! Only thing is I have to transfer data from my 2011 so it will take time to actually use it once I get it. But I'm hyped cuz I've been using my iPad mini for the past 2 weeks and I'm already bored of it lol
I've yet to transfer my stuff from my old 2011 MBP to my new 2015 MPB :smh: just hate the whole process. Gotta do it soon

How will you be transferring your stuff?

Back
Top Bottom