The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by remix

is SSD speed noticeable even?

Oh yea. Me and my brother bought are macbooks at the same time. After I finished installing, I booted them up at the same time. Mine took roughly 30 secs (from a shutdown) to open up safari, his took about a 1:30 - 2 min range. 

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Originally Posted by remix

is SSD speed noticeable even?

Oh yea. Me and my brother bought are macbooks at the same time. After I finished installing, I booted them up at the same time. Mine took roughly 30 secs (from a shutdown) to open up safari, his took about a 1:30 - 2 min range. 
Yes the speed is VERY noticable. I installed an Intel SSD not too long ago. Boot up 10 seconds. 
pimp.gif

my macbook pro that i got in 2009 is spitting out every cd after 15 seconds or so. is this a itunes problem or what? help please 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

my macbook pro that i got in 2009 is spitting out every cd after 15 seconds or so. is this a itunes problem or what? help please 
ohwell.gif

sounds like a drive failure my old macbook use to do the same thing... i think if you take it to apple they fix it for you....

Want to go get my new MBP here soon, as I'm starting Law School in the fall. Was wondering if I should hold off until next week so that the new OS can be put on there? Or is that just a non-issue?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on necessary things to go alongside it, I'd really appreciate it. This is my first venture into apple notebooks, I'm coming off a 4 year relationship with a Dell that was pretty awful. Looking forward to the new laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by NittanyBaller21

Want to go get my new MBP here soon, as I'm starting Law School in the fall. Was wondering if I should hold off until next week so that the new OS can be put on there? Or is that just a non-issue?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on necessary things to go alongside it, I'd really appreciate it. This is my first venture into apple notebooks, I'm coming off a 4 year relationship with a Dell that was pretty awful. Looking forward to the new laptop.

Thanks in advance!

pretty sure they'll make it a free download to the people who bought computers ~30 days before. You're definitely gonna want to pick up a case though. Incase makes cheap, but effective sleeves. if you want something a little more stylish or professional, research options online

thanks goat!

Also, I'm sure this is a question that has been asked a billion times, but what are your thoughts on applecare? Worth it on a macbook pro? I'm thinking of waiting until the end of the year to make a decision on it...

thanks goat!

Also, I'm sure this is a question that has been asked a billion times, but what are your thoughts on applecare? Worth it on a macbook pro? I'm thinking of waiting until the end of the year to make a decision on it...

I've owned a lot of apple products and have never owned applecare for any of them. Even when my last iMac broke, it was almost 5 years after I bought it. If I was to get Applecare for anything, it would definitely be for a laptop though just cause those things are always prone to break, hence why the Applecare for a laptop is more expensive then a iMac. It's worth it though just for the battery replacement alone since the new MBPs are unibodied.

thanks goat!

Desktops i wouldnt bother with, but for a laptop...it's worth the investment. DOn't beleive the hype with people saying "it just works.: You will run into problems. Macbooks have some of the worst optical drives in the world. Your battery will fail before it's cycle and your charger will probably fray before your 3rd year is up. Get AppleCare, if only for peace of mind. You don't have to get it when you buy it though...you have 364 days from date of purchase. If you want to save about 40% of the cost, buy it as a student (either with your ID in store or online..doesnt matter). 
If the pricetag is too much still, or if you want something to cover accidental damage, look into SquareTrade

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

ohwell.gif

sounds like a faulty drive to me. get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out that thing. see if theres anything stuck inside it.  try resetting the PMU

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Lion comes out today
nerd.gif
maybe a new macbook air as well
nerd.gif

The Apple Store is down, though it looks like 9to5Mac has spoiled the surprise. According to the Apple blog, here are the leaked specifications for the new Apple products launching this week:

Mac mini Base model: 2.3GHz CPU with 2GB of RAM, and 500GB of storage
Mac mini: 2.5GHz CPU with 4GB of RAM, and, 500GB of storage
Mac mini server: 2.0GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, and two 500GB hard drives
MacBook Air 11″: Base model: 1.6GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage
MacBook Air 11″: 1.6GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB of storage
MacBook Air 11″: Built to order model: 1.8GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage
MacBook Air 13″: Base model: 1.7GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, 128GB of storage
MacBook Air 13″: 1.7GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, 256GB of storage
MacBook Air 13″: Built to order: 1.8GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, 256GB of storage

The Mac minis are reported to run new Intel Sand Bridge chips, while the MacBook Airs run Intel’s Core i5 and i7 processors. Launching alongside the new MacBook Airs and Mac minis are a new Apple display, though the only difference seems to be the name, rebranded as the Apple Thunderbolt Display, and the ability to have a VESA-compatible mount for them. We’ll see in only a couple hours, and these new models could go on sale as early as today.

Yep.

Man I am in Oman on crappy wifi, so I most likely have to wait until tomorrow for this download to finis. Getting ready to finally join the mba club....now 11" or 13", that is the question.

Never had a Mac before but I'm looking to cop one before school starts in the fall. Why should I get a MacBook Pro verse thes regular MacBook and has anyone on here used Apples refurbished program and testify to the quality? Thanks

Finally new MBAs out. Time to join the Mac family. Might give myself an early Christmas present.
pimp.gif

I wonder how much the BTO i7 256GB MBA is gonna cost over here?

Back
Top Bottom