The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

I'm trying to get into video editing (Final Cut Pro) with my MBP. I jumped the gun and purchased it with only 128gb of space last year. What are my options if I wanted to increase space. Should I go to a local spot that will install a bigger size or should I purchase an external and work off of that one?

I only have about 40 gbs left on my laptop.

I'm trying to get into video editing (Final Cut Pro) with my MBP. I jumped the gun and purchased it with only 128gb of space last year. What are my options if I wanted to increase space. Should I go to a local spot that will install a bigger size or should I purchase an external and work off of that one?

Might have to just work off the external. From my understanding the HD can't be changed. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas?

PS- you still running the madden league?

Been on my old aluminum MacBook for years. Been looking to upgrade finally. I was very disappointed with the new ones so looking to get a 2015 pro. Should I wait for the 8gb to go down or pull the trigger on a 16gb 15 inch 256GB from Frys for 1500? I was only looking to spend about a grand but it's looking less likely. Is the extra cash worth it for 16gb and the 15 inch display? Thanks.

Last edited:
Been on my old aluminum MacBook for years. Been looking to upgrade finally. I was very disappointed with the new ones so looking to get a 2015 pro. Should I wait for the 8gb to go down or pull the trigger on a 16gb 15 inch 256GB from Frys for 1500? I was only looking to spend about a grand but it's looking less likely. Is the extra cash worth it for 16gb and the 15 inch display? Thanks.
Do it. Get the 2015 Pro. I returned the base model 2016 I had purchased for the 2015 Pro to retain the ports and love it. For a grand just stick with the 13.3" perfect size. Unless, you're really set in wanting a 15".

Might have to just work off the external. From my understanding the HD can't be changed. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas?

PS- you still running the madden league?

I was first told I couldn't change it but after doing some more research, it actually can be done by soldering it on. Just not sure if its world it since I wouldn't be able to add more than 400gb.

Yea, we're still going 3 years later. We have super bowl prizes now lol

You should check out glyph. They make externals specifically for things like that. Lacie drives are really good too but get expensive if your looking for ssd. They are water resistant and drop proof from 6ft, and you can supposably run them over in a car and they will still work. 128 is abysmally low, I wouldn't go under 512 if you ever upgrade. If you buy an external you can grab a 4tb lacie for cheap.

Last edited:

You should check out glyph. They make externals specifically for things like that. Lacie drives are really good too but get expensive if your looking for ssd. They are water resistant and drop proof from 6ft, and you can supposably run them over in a car and they will still work. 128 is abysmally low, I wouldn't go under 512 if you ever upgrade. If you buy an external you can grab a 4tb lacie for cheap.

Thanks, I just looked into the Lacie drives on Amazon.

Saw this alternative too:

been using my 2009 imac with 4 gb of ram to edit videos...but got a big gig that paid well so debating upgrading. found a 27in mid 2011 imac with 3.2ghz i5 16gb of ram + 1 tb for $530. my work's it guys can install the ssd for $80+price of ssd. think that upgrade will keep me set for the next 4-5 years? or should i just bite the bullet on a current setup? i feel that would be enough but would love yall thoughts. primary use would be lightroom, photoshop and premier pro.

been using my 2009 imac with 4 gb of ram to edit videos...but got a big gig that paid well so debating upgrading. found a 27in mid 2011 imac with 3.2ghz i5 16gb of ram + 1 tb for $530. my work's it guys can install the ssd for $80+price of ssd. think that upgrade will keep me set for the next 4-5 years? or should i just bite the bullet on a current setup? i feel that would be enough but would love yall thoughts. primary use would be lightroom, photoshop and premier pro.
Easily can last 5 years, maybe more. 

You guys think copping a 27' 5k iMac is worth it right now? Or should I wait?

Currently on a mid 09 mbp that is just crazy sluggish. I'm thinking an ssd upgrade would squeeze out more time on it but I'm personally thinking it's just not worth it to spend on an ssd on it. Especially if I'm thinning about upgrading to an iMac or maybe even a 15' mbp.

Any places you guys suggest I cop from as well?

If you get an iMac, get a refurb direct from Apple. Pretty sure there's a refresh coming soon, so why spend top dollar when you get the same thing at a discount? And if you're lucky like I was, Apple will send you a machine with a 3 TB Fusion drive instead of the 2 TB drive you ordered. :pimp:

I almost decided to wait for the refresh, but I needed one now so I bought it. My advice is if you need it, buy it. If you can stand to wait a little bit for an updated iMac, then do that.

Are there Student Discounts for Apple Care? My apple care on my 15in Retina MBP expires next month. Debating if I should drop the 350 or not, because in reality I can just keep that 350 and spend it if I actually need a repair done.

^ Don't play yourself. Cop that AppleCare+.

Check out Adorama for discounts on AC+. I use them or B&H Photo for it every time.

Just got a new MBP 13".

Noticed this on the top left corner. It can only be seen in the dark.

Would you guys try to get it fixed/replaced? I just got the computer yesterday.

Yeah definitely. If I had the laptop for a minute that would be a nonissue. But it's the new version and you just copped so I'd for sure get it replaced.

Just got a new MBP 13".

Noticed this on the top left corner. It can only be seen in the dark.

Would you guys try to get it fixed/replaced? I just got the computer yesterday.
Yes, I'd set up a Genius Bar appointment, immediately.

I wouldn't even hesitate. 

Now you've got me wanting to check my MBP when I get home.

Side note...I hope Incase releases they're new sleevs soon...If not, I may just go with a snap case that has received good reviews...But, I like how the space gray looks on the MBP and don't want to cover it up lol.

Are there Student Discounts for Apple Care? My apple care on my 15in Retina MBP expires next month. Debating if I should drop the 350 or not, because in reality I can just keep that 350 and spend it if I actually need a repair done.
Applecare is GOAT. Would buy more years if it was possible.

Need to Upgrade my mac pro 13 hard drive

Anyone have some good tech shops in New York that i could go to and get it fix ?

Please help :lol: Apple store couldn't do anything since it past 5 years

DIY don't pay someone to do it, that's just silly.

Back
Top Bottom