The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

^You need a new HD my friend. I had that happen to me. I came home and saw that damn screen, and was SALTY. I lost programs, music, etc. Genius Bar replaced itfor free even though I was out of warranty and didn't have AppleCare. I LOVE Apple.

This happened to me Early June. Still trying to find Virtual DJ again.

Originally Posted by ll K R E A M 15 ll

so im about to purchase my new laptop and deciding on which model of macbook pros would be a good choice for me?

i am looking to use this laptop mainly for school, business and design. I am a business major and am looking to not only start up a business but also do some web design, high quality photo editing, high quality videos, clothing designs and the likes. I will be using all of adobe's design products (photoshop, illustrator, etc) and also some other video and photo editing apps. The usual word processing, spreadsheets, internet use, and email. I want to keep this clean of fluff and just the real school, business and design applications. My questions are, which model would do what i need ^^without me wasting money on components that i wont use or wont miss? also hard drive space is real not necessary since i will be using a lot of larger usb drives and external harddrives, would investing in a solid state drive be a good choice? but graphics, and things like that are a must. i need the portability of a laptop or else id look at desktops...also is apple still giving free ipod touches with the purchase of a macbook pro or any other promotions like that?

i like the:

13.3" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 250GB HD / SuperDrive (4.5lbs) - $1330 im leaning towards this for the 13''
13.3" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 500GB HD / SuperDrive (4.5lbs) - $1458
13.3" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 128GB SSD / SuperDrive (4.5lbs) - $1629 is a solid state worth it?

or is it better to go up in size for not too much of a difference in price?

15.4" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 250GB HD / GF 9400M / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1440 will this suit me just fine and i wont have to look to upgrade or lust for something better?
15.4" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 320GB HD @ 7200 rpm / GF 9400M / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1520 is it worth $80 more for a faster hd?
15.4" / 2.66GHz C2D / 4GB / 320GB HD / GF 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB VRAM / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1665 will i use the extras in this package or will i be wasting money? what exactly does + 9600MGT with 256MB VRAM give me compared to just GF 9400M? is the extra .13GHz necessary or is that just to make up for the extra graphics components?

or is this worth the money?

15.4" / 2.66GHz C2D / 4GB / 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm / GF 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB VRAM / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1786 exactly how much better is this computer than say the other 3 15'' or even the 13''?
15.4" / 2.8GHz C2D / 4GB / 500GB HD / GF 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB VRAM / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1890 does .14GHz and an extra 256MB VRAM make that much difference?

Whats the best deal?

anyone wanna give me their opinion or is this too much writing for NT
nerd.gif
too much writing/questions
laugh.gif

seriously though, let me start by saying you will hate your life if you buy a 13" to do photo and video editing on. don't.
i have highlighted the two that prolly represent the best deals for your needs. you can always upgrade your memory and HD later if necessary if your needsincrease (and in most cases, it's cheaper to buy it from someone not named Apple)

to give you an idea of what i'm working with, i currently run a 2007 MBP w/2.2 GHz processor, 2 GB 667 MHz memory, 120 GB HD.
i am not a power user (at the moment), but i use: Aperture, Adobe Lightroom, and Adobe CS4 (among other things). All boot very quickly.

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

so im about to purchase my new laptop and deciding on which model of macbook pros would be a good choice for me?

i am looking to use this laptop mainly for school, business and design. I am a business major and am looking to not only start up a business but also do some web design, high quality photo editing, high quality videos, clothing designs and the likes. I will be using all of adobe's design products (photoshop, illustrator, etc) and also some other video and photo editing apps. The usual word processing, spreadsheets, internet use, and email. I want to keep this clean of fluff and just the real school, business and design applications. My questions are, which model would do what i need ^^without me wasting money on components that i wont use or wont miss? also hard drive space is real not necessary since i will be using a lot of larger usb drives and external harddrives, would investing in a solid state drive be a good choice? but graphics, and things like that are a must. i need the portability of a laptop or else id look at desktops...also is apple still giving free ipod touches with the purchase of a macbook pro or any other promotions like that?

i like the:

13.3" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 250GB HD / SuperDrive (4.5lbs) - $1330 im leaning towards this for the 13''
13.3" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 128GB SSD / SuperDrive (4.5lbs) - $1629 is a solid state worth it?

15.4" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 250GB HD / GF 9400M / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1440 will this suit me just fine and i wont have to look to upgrade or lust for something better?
15.4" / 2.53GHz C2D / 4GB / 320GB HD @ 7200 rpm / GF 9400M / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1520 is it worth $80 more for a faster hd?
15.4" / 2.66GHz C2D / 4GB / 320GB HD / GF 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB VRAM / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1665 will i use the extras in this package or will i be wasting money? what exactly does + 9600MGT with 256MB VRAM give me compared to just GF 9400M? is the extra .13GHz necessary or is that just to make up for the extra graphics components?

15.4" / 2.66GHz C2D / 4GB / 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm / GF 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB VRAM / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1786 exactly how much better is this computer than say the other 3 15'' or even the 13''?
15.4" / 2.8GHz C2D / 4GB / 500GB HD / GF 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB VRAM / SuperDrive (5.5lbs) - $1890 does .14GHz and an extra 256MB VRAM make that much difference?

Whats the best deal?

nerd.gif
too much writing/questions
laugh.gif

seriously though, let me start by saying you will hate your life if you buy a 13" to do photo and video editing on. don't.
i have highlighted the two that prolly represent the best deals for your needs. you can always upgrade your memory and HD later if necessary if your needs increase (and in most cases, it's cheaper to buy it from someone not named Apple)

to give you an idea of what i'm working with, i currently run a 2007 MBP w/2.2 GHz processor, 2 GB 667 MHz memory, 120 GB HD.
i am not a power user (at the moment), but i use: Aperture, Adobe Lightroom, and Adobe CS4 (among other things). All boot very quickly.
I agree. Go for the 15" MBP, give you a lot more screen room especially if you plan on doing a lot of photo editing. I am still currently onmy Core Duo 1st Gen Macbook and it's tough to edit pictures. All MBP can run CS4 and other demanding programs well. So it does come down to how much youare willing to spend and what you feel is best. Upgrading your RAM will also benefit you too if you use your MBP as a workhorse.

Why not look into the new 27" iMac? You lose portability, BUT you have power and plenty of room to do your photo editing. That will be my next purchasethis coming thursday.
pimp.gif

i like the:

Whats the best deal?

nerd.gif

- go for 15" if your doing any kind of design more room is always a plus, 13" doesn't offer to much room if you plan on using it for design
- ssd is not worth it (IMO) as its still new and pricey, a 7200rpm hard drive is fine its just going to use more power
- the vram gives you more available video ram which can come handy in video/photo editing
- as far as processor speed, i'd just get the 2.66 c2d (same one i have) as it not only gives you a 1.3 bump but a larger L2 cache again handy withvideo/photo editing
- those higher end ones aren't necessary if you aren't a photo/video editor pro, those bumps in processor speed won't affect you much unless yourdoing some heavy video/photo editing

Originally Posted by stylez23

i like the:

Whats the best deal?

nerd.gif

- go for 15" if your doing any kind of design more room is always a plus, 13" doesn't offer to much room if you plan on using it for design
- ssd is not worth it (IMO) as its still new and pricey, a 7200rpm hard drive is fine its just going to use more power
- the vram gives you more available video ram which can come handy in video/photo editing
- as far as processor speed, i'd just get the 2.66 c2d (same one i have) as it not only gives you a 1.3 bump but a larger L2 cache again handy with video/photo editing
- those higher end ones aren't necessary if you aren't a photo/video editor pro, those bumps in processor speed won't affect you much unless your doing some heavy video/photo editing
thanks for the info...also thank you to LiveMyReality andjimmybeanz for their input also...appreciate the help guys
pimp.gif

For who ever asked about the external HD.

I bought a 1.5TB Seagate HD from BB for 115 and it works perfectly out of the box. Also works with Timemachine one the MB

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

I bought a 1.5TB Seagate HD from BB for 115 and it works perfectly out of the box. Also works with Timemachine one the MB
Why are the USB ones cheaper than the ones that have firewire/sata?

Originally Posted by KiNGJRMZair23

firewire transfers faster than USB.

Originally Posted by acekilla408

i downloaded skype and it automatically starts o startup, so i do i stop it from starting from the startup

"Right click" on the dock icon and look under options.

Originally Posted by jbeezie

Originally Posted by KiNGJRMZair23

firewire transfers faster than USB.
That's not the reason why it's cheaper though .... it's simply more about adoption. USB's been adopted by that many more peoplethan firewire or eSATA. supply and demand and what not

on a side note:
eek.gif
@ those Nike Drawers/Boxes in bxs3ven1eight's. Info?(yea I'm late)

I wish my MBP had the ruberrized bottom casing as the new Macbooks

Originally Posted by EBAY 23

Okay so I bought my MBP a couple months ago and yesterday for the first time as I was surfing the net the rainbow swirl started popping up quite a bit, its weird because I usually run a few pages at the same time with no problem until yesterday of course.
Do any of you more knowledgeable mac users have any info on what might be the problem?

mine started doing this today also.
eyes.gif

Anybody got a My Passport from Western Digital? Is it good?

Im a new mac owner, and i was wondering has anyone been running 2 systems, and having a problem with direct x 8.1 on windows 7?

Apologize in advance for a dumb question, but... Are there USB drives compatible for both mac and pc's? There are some things that I want to transfer to mynew MBP.

Originally Posted by amel223

Apologize in advance for a dumb question, but... Are there USB drives compatible for both mac and pc's? There are some things that I want to transfer to my new MBP.
Almost are HD's are.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Yep, I recommend getting one. It's small, lightweight, and no need to install any software. I have a 500gb btw
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Not a sneak wrote:

Yep, I recommend getting one. It's small, lightweight, and no need to install any software. I have a 500gb btw
pimp.gif

Thank you, I was in the market for one.

I have the aluminum WD External HD to match my macbook. Like they said, works out the box with no software. It automatically backs up using time machine. Irecommend getting one
3413547880_721a2dbcf6.jpg

Hey wats up NT apple experts? Idk if this is the rite thread to post but.... My bluetooth keeps quitting wen i open it (silver macbook pro) wat can i do aboutthis?

currently using a WD 500GB... thinking about switching to Time Capsule. Wish they still had 500gb Time Capsules for the low low. I should have slept

Back
Top Bottom