The Official Metal Gear Solid 4 Thread Vol. Snake's Last Hurrah | It's Out | Don't Post Spoilers!

Is Gamestop taking reserves for the 80gb now? Or is it going to be fairly easy to pickup on release day?

YO!

NCTwin < Jetpacunlimited
IHeartboost < Jetpacunlimited

DF!!!

Ok now back to the topic, Im sorry I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers with what the Konami rep said. In all honesty, AND THIS IS MYOPINION!!! MGS4 staying exclusive to the PS3 is a good thing for the gaming community, it proves that big name titles CAN have only ONE home. I amdefinatly looking forward to beating the crap outta my cousin and Boost online! HA! NOW... With that said... Is it June 13th yet?

Originally Posted by Null Snake

Originally Posted by areyouin729

am I the only one very interested in Raiden in this game?

Nope I'm actually a very big fan of Raiden even though he is the most hated from the series.

I for one was one of those ppl who hated Raiden sooo much, but ever since i saw him take on the pmc's and that fight he had with vamp i take backevery word.

word to klipschorn he knows what's up

but yeah, i've been waiting for this game to drop ever since early last year. i can't wait to have it and play it... this game is gonna be sick!

Also played the beta... it ain't no cod4 but give it time and it will rub off on you... as it did me.

Famitsu gave MGS4 perfect score...only 7 other games have gotten that.
Here's a translated review.

i just got my copy...i'll add the scans 5-6 hours later...

finally a review is decent enough to include mgo along with the review package..they get points for that!

summary of the editor's opinions:

Editor A
An overwhelming amount of quality and volume. Thanks to a lot of great features, long time fans of the series and neophytes alike will be able to enjoy the game. Even if you're not so great at action games, we really recommend you give this a try. Furthermore, the content in the Metal Gear Online mode is an excellent addition to the main story. A game with seemingly no weak points whatsoever.

Editor B
The familiar sneaking action triumphantly returns, along with boss battles full of tricks and surprises. But even more fun is the ability to purchase and customize equipment with new abilities! The popular cutscenes are also back in huge numbers, leaving you immensely satisfied. Finally, playing the online versus mode with your buddies and linking up is just too awesome!

Editor C
Within the massive amounts of cutscenes there are numerous easter eggs, mixing both the old and the new. Some parts get a little verbose and wordy, but the end is really worth it. Also, because depending on your style of play, many different gameplay elements emerge, the second straight week of play is still fun. Another great point: the Online mode's rules and system are carried over from the main story mode (?). You'll want to play it over and over again.

Editor D
"Octo-Cam" allows players to automatically blend in, a system easy for even beginners to understand. We have no complaints about the quality of the cutscenes at all. However, many characters from the previous games appear, so if you want to get the most out of the story, you'll need a bit of preparation. In the Online Game, modes like "Snake vs Soldiers" are truly unique to this series.
frown.gif
can't believe I won't have a ps3 in time for this. So disappointed. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

finally a review is decent enough to include mgo along with the review package..they get points for that!

Editor A
An overwhelming amount of quality and volume. Thanks to a lot of great features, long time fans of the series and neophytes alike will be able to enjoy the game. Even if you're not so great at action games, we really recommend you give this a try. Furthermore, the content in the Metal Gear Online mode is an excellent addition to the main story. A game with seemingly no weak points whatsoever.

Editor B
The familiar sneaking action triumphantly returns, along with boss battles full of tricks and surprises. But even more fun is the ability to purchase and customize equipment with new abilities! The popular cutscenes are also back in huge numbers, leaving you immensely satisfied. Finally, playing the online versus mode with your buddies and linking up is just too awesome!

Editor C
Within the massive amounts of cutscenes there are numerous easter eggs, mixing both the old and the new. Some parts get a little verbose and wordy, but the end is really worth it. Also, because depending on your style of play, many different gameplay elements emerge, the second straight week of play is still fun. Another great point: the Online mode's rules and system are carried over from the main story mode (?). You'll want to play it over and over again.

Editor D
"Octo-Cam" allows players to automatically blend in, a system easy for even beginners to understand. We have no complaints about the quality of the cutscenes at all. However, many characters from the previous games appear, so if you want to get the most out of the story, you'll need a bit of preparation. In the Online Game, modes like "Snake vs Soldiers" are truly unique to this series.
frown.gif
can't believe I won't have a ps3 in time for this. So disappointed. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

wow
eek.gif
famitsu is extremely stingy with giving away perfect scores.

Only eight games so far have received perfect scores. They are listed in chronological order:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
  2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
  3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
  5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
  6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
  7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
  8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for Playstation 3)
so far i got 4 of these games. MGS4 being the 5th
pimp.gif

Yeah except for Nintendogs(
laugh.gif
) and Brawl (it's not a perfect game) the list is hard to get into.
Even though I think no game deserves a perfect score.

Editor A

Editor B

Editor C

Editor D
frown.gif

Perfect 40/40,
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

atomic-bomb.jpg

... the end is near

I should of pre-ordered this even if I don't have a PS3 cause they're saying it is L.E...just like the gunmetal grey bundle.

[h1]Up Close With Euro MGS4 Limited Edition Figure[/h1]
mgs4_se_unboxed_02.jpg
There it is!That's the six inch Old Solid Snake figure for the Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition. The pack also features a soundtrack CD, a making-of Blu-ray andfigurine. Hit the jump for a close-up of the "Drab Olive" figurine. Hit the jump for a closer look at the six inches of Old Snake.

mgs4_figure.jpg

Unboxing MGS4 LE [KotakuAustralia]

man I cant wait for this game

I was gonna buy a 360 just to play Ninja Gaiden 2 but I passed b/c I dont need anything getting in the way of this game, only game i'm more hyped for isResident Evil 5

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Good looks on the info...gotta scoop up that collection ASAP.

I remember seeing a scene from the OG MGS completey redone with the MGS 4 graphical look. It also ended with Kojima asking "DO U RIKE?!". Is there any more info available on that? Is it just playable flashback sequences or something more?

Snake has flashback through the game, supposedly that is one of them.

From gamefocus.ca:
[h1]Hideo Kojima Enters Guiness World Record[/h1] [h3]Thanks to Metal Gear Solid[/h3] [table][tr][td]
hideo_kojima.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Hideo Kojima, the internationally acclaimed games designer, was in London this week to receive his Guinness World Record certificates, as listed in the Guinness World Record: Gamer's Edition 2008. His achievements are for Metal Gear, the first video game to fully utilize stealth as part of the gameplay and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty, the biggest selling stealth game on Play Station 2.

Earlier adventure games had used elements of stealth, such as hiding and disguises, but Kojima's creation Metal Gear was the first game to concentrate solely on these elements, effectively creating the "stealth game" sub-genre.

Keith Pullin, Editor of the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008 book, was on hand to present the certificates and said 'I would like to welcome Mr. Kojima to our family of gaming record breakers and we hope he breaks many more!'.

Kojima is the second videogame designer, after Firaxis Sid Meier, to get a Guinness World Record.

Congrats Kojima-san!!!
happy.gif

From PSU:

[h2]Konami outlines review restrictions for Metal Gear Solid 4[/h2]
Kojima Productions' Assistant Producer Ryan Payton contacted Kotaku today, discussing what journalists can and can't talk about when reviewing Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Here is what Payton said reveiwers cannot discuss:

-Install times
-Length of cutscenes (the ending in particular)
-Number of environments
-Opening "movie"
-Product placement
-(Plus a half dozen story-specific items)

He went on to explain:

The game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts.

As for the cutscenes, reviewers are more than happy to comment on whether they're too long or short. We simply want reviewers to refrain from describing which scenes are long, thus spoiling some of the experience because players will know what to expect when a scene is unfolding.

I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences...

But as for the next three items, we are still asking reviewers to avoid these topics. We want the opening to be a huge surprise for gamers, and knowing how many environments there are in the game, obviously, is a spoiler. These restrictions will remain in place.

Finally, we've asked reviewers to not write about some of the product placement because of some contractual agreements we have with third parties.

We will be reviewing MGS4 on the day of release so we can include all of these previously forbidden juicy details. More about MGS4 as soon as it comes.

Crazy huh¿

This took so long the only reason I got a ps3 its been collecting dust from release date to now. I can't belive only 7 more days! I'm so amped!!!!!!!

The game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts.
yes, this will be the best game ever but, what the hell?

Originally Posted by swendro88

yes, this will be the best game ever but, what the hell?

hmmm...maybe it installing during a cut scene? ....bah, even if it aint...all it is just a quick 2-3 min smoke break
tongue.gif

^Try that again. I don't see anything...

Click here for GameStop'smidnight releases.

From PlayStation Beyond:

[h3]Rumor: A Special Surprise for MGS4 buyers on the way?[/h3] [h4]http://www.psbeyond.com/profiles/Resistance100.255.html[/h4]
Recently Kotaku has posted a letter/email from Metal Gear Solid 4
Assistant Producer Ryan Payton, in response to the reviewers who have been complaining about the restrictions put in place in there reviews. However one thing many people have missed in this email to Kotaku is:

"Believe it or not, I've been so busy working on a special surprise for MGS4 buyers (that not even those who have leaked copies of the game can spoil! Haha!)"

What this special surprise is is unknown, or if it is actually going to take place, still the fact that they said its a surprise that even those who have early copies can spoil does hint that it will be something downloadable which will be avaible on launch perhaps?
Hmmmm...might need to pay mine off asap to see exactly what this "suprise" is...

Via PS3fanboy.com

80GB Metal Gear systems on amazon.com tomorrow at 10AM PST
post-18711-1204231256.jpg

If you've been waiting for the standard 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle, which includes a 80GB PS3, a regular copy of Metal Gear Solid 4, and a DualShock 3 controller, you're going to have to fight the thousands of others that are undoubtedly also waiting to buy the system. You can try your luck in stores on June 12th, when the system (and game) releases ... or you can test your luck with amazon.com tomorrow (Friday).

According to the online retailer, "demand for this item is so great, we anticipate selling out very quickly." Thankfully, you'll have a slight edge over others who may be browsing the site. The bundle will be available at 10AM PST (1PM EST) tomorrow. Get your F5 buttons ready -- and g'luck to all of you.

Originally Posted by NCTwin

From PSU:

[h2]Konami outlines review restrictions for Metal Gear Solid 4[/h2]
Kojima Productions' Assistant Producer Ryan Payton contacted Kotaku today, discussing what journalists can and can't talk about when reviewing Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Here is what Payton said reveiwers cannot discuss:

-Install times
-Length of cutscenes (the ending in particular)
-Number of environments
-Opening "movie"
-Product placement
-(Plus a half dozen story-specific items)

He went on to explain:

As for the cutscenes, reviewers are more than happy to comment on whether they're too long or short. We simply want reviewers to refrain from describing which scenes are long, thus spoiling some of the experience because players will know what to expect when a scene is unfolding.

I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences...

But as for the next three items, we are still asking reviewers to avoid these topics. We want the opening to be a huge surprise for gamers, and knowing how many environments there are in the game, obviously, is a spoiler. These restrictions will remain in place.

Finally, we've asked reviewers to not write about some of the product placement because of some contractual agreements we have with third parties.

We will be reviewing MGS4 on the day of release so we can include all of these previously forbidden juicy details. More about MGS4 as soon as it comes.
Crazy huh¿

That's pretty gay restricting reviewers... Ridiculous
smh.gif

From IGN:

[h1]The Beastly Beauties of MGS4[/h1]

[h2]The female of the species is more deadly than the male.[/h2]

The Metal Gear Solid franchise has always been known for its cast of characters, particularly the enemies that the player faces off against. Whether it was the mind tricks played by Psycho Mantis, the supernatural abilities of Vamp and Fortune, the power of Volgin, or CQC skill of The Boss, all were truly memorable characters that provided a healthy challenge. The same can be said of the latest set of opponents that will debut in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, the Beauty and the Beast Corps.

Laughing Octopus, Raging Raven, Crying Wolf, and Screaming Mantis comprise the B&B Corps, each with their own specialized abilities. Each woman was once innocent and beautiful, but due to the horror of war they have been mentally and physically transformed into beasts, continually emoting as they cross the battlefield. This trauma has made them more like machines of war than humans, which could prove to be quite a challenge for Solid Snake.

On top of these four deadly warriors, Snake will also have to deal with the five largest private military corporations in the world that have flooded the battlefield. Below, we'll go over the details of Snake's new nemeses, as well as showcase the commercials for The Pieuvre Armament, Raven Sword, Werewolf, and Preying Mantis. Could it be coincidental that the four commercials have some connection in name to the boss characters that Snake will face off against? You'll just have to see on June 12th when Metal Gear Solid 4 is released.

Laughing Octopus

With a maniacal laugh that she constantly uses as she slaughters her victims, Laughing Octopus is definitely one of the more stranger looking characters in the B&B Corps. Octopus appears to walk upon tentacles that protrude from her head; these large metallic arms are strong enough to support her weight as well as crush and impale people. Based on footage released in trailers, she also has a form of camouflage similar to that of Snake's, as she appears to blend in with her surroundings before she strikes.

Raging Raven

One of the more agile members of the Beauty and the Beast Corps, Raging Raven is a meld of aerial superiority and emotional wreckage. As she flies around the battlefield, she continually calls out to her opponents, "Show me your rage," shortly before attacking them. Unfortunately for most, this is the last phrase they ever hear, because Raven has many ways to decimate her targets. If her razor sharp wings don't slice through people, the grenade launcher she carries in her hands or the missiles strapped to her wings explosively wipe most people off the face of the earth.

");

Crying Wolf

One of the strongest members of the Beauty and the Beast Corps, Crying Wolf is truly frightening to see or hear in the middle of awar zone. The large frame of Wolf is strong enough to stop bulldozers and other machines in their tracks, while her speed and size allows her to charge throughsoldiers, leaving their bodies broken. If she needs true destruction, she can fire the rail gun that is clearly visible on her shoulder. But perhaps the mostdisturbing weapon of all is psychological: Wolf either howls like her namesake or wails continually, which would be extremely unnerving in the midst of agunfight.

");

Screaming Mantis

Screaming Mantis is perhaps the most powerful and intimidating member of the Beauty and the Beast Corps. Able to fly by some kindof unknown ability, it's rather apparent that she has great mental abilities that allow her to crush people at will. Additionally, it seems as though shecan take control of the minds of soldiers, manipulating them like puppets to do her bidding, including killing their former allies. Turning these men intomarionettes seems to be a particular favorite of hers; in fact, dangling from the many arms of Mantis are two puppets that appear to be Psycho Mantis and TheSorrow from previous Metal Gear Solid games.

");
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879627p1.html

From 1UP:

media

Metal Gear's Top 5 Awkward Moments
Clips of the most gut-wrenchingly embarrassing moments ever.

http://solidsharkey.1up.com

Hi again, Mister Gear. It's been a few years and it's good to have you back. We've had some good times and some badtimes. But let's not forget the "holy hell, what on earth am I watching and why did I decide to play this with my girlfriend in the room"moments. Because those were the best.

5. Crotch Grabbing
Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, 4 | System: Various | Release Date: Various | Publisher: Konami I had to combine these into one, if only because the entire list would be crotch grabs, otherwise. Nice touch with the bird crap at the end, guys. That's why I play these games: subtlety and class.
4. Homoerotic Sword Fighting
Metal Gear Solid 4 | System: PlayStation 3 | Release Date: 2003 | Publisher: Konami This is at least a small step up from the typical Japanese gay jokes, which generally consist of "Homosexuals exist! Haha!" At least the end cuts through the usual marketing nonsense and promises simultaneous orgasms to everyone on the planet! Can't wait.
3. Otacon Sleeps With His Mom
Metal Gear Solid 2 | System: PlayStation 2 | Release Date: 2001 | Publisher: Konami "Hey guys, I know this place is going to fall into the ocean any second and then Manhattan is going to explode and oh yeah my sister just died, but can you spare an hour so I can tell you all about the time I banged my stepmom and also sob uncontrollably until Snake gives me a hug? Thanks, you guys are the best!"
2. Do You Think Love Can Bloom?
Metal Gear Solid | System: PlayStation | Release Date: 1998 | Publisher: Konami This bit is made only slightly more weird by the uncertainty over whether or not Otacon is actually hitting on Snake. The truth is worse. After killing Sniper Wolf, who then spills her entire life story over the course of the next three days despite complaining of being "lung shot," (especially cute if you killed her with missiles) it becomes apparent from Otacon's crying jag that no, he just has the world's most embarrassingly stupid case of Stockholm syndrome.
Runner up: Everything else Otacon has ever said or done in his life, ever.

1. Jack and Rose
Metal Gear Solid 2 | System: PlayStation 2 | Release Date: 2001 | Publisher: Konami Hideo Kojima once said that the character of Rose and her relationship with Jack was at least partly based upon his own wife. He wasn't laughing. For the first time in my life I find myself feeling very, very sorry for that man.

Back
Top Bottom