The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Any officers in here? I got approached a couple of days ago by a veteran who talked to me about the benefits of joining the medical corps (I have a masters degree in Social Work). I'm interested in getting my PhD which apparently mean that I could enter one of the branches at a fairly high rank. 

I'm really looking for any advice, wisdom, things to consider here. 

Thank you.

As long as its not gang related or offensive you should be good. I got mine grandfathered in, but I've known plenty of dudes who came in that were tatted up. As long as you don get a douche you should be gravy.
The only problem that people have been running into related to waivers, is that the armed forces is in force reduction mode, so they arent offering as many waivers, because recruiting isnt as big as of a concern as it was from 2007-2010
I know I would be able to get Marine Embassy Guard or any other job where a "clean" presence would be required but hopefully my recruiter has made an appointment to speak to a commanding officer visiting from Parris Island, I think. That way I wont have to wait as long

not a tattoo waiver but i had to talk to a commanding officer for another moral wavier

it was pretty easy just make sure you say your "sirs" (yes sir, no sir, thank you sir etc) and answer the questions he asks you. ie why do you want to

join the service, if you join the  service how can you make a positive impact crap like that. he may ask you to describe the tattoo(s) as well

idk how anyone could mess it up unless your a complete diick :lol:
got it lol, my tattoo is nothing derogatory. Its just a fu lion with a rose on my upper left arm. The problem is that I cant cover it completely with my hand.

That's what I have been told. If I can get the govt. to pay for my PhD I would sign asap!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

That's what I have been told. If I can get the govt. to pay for my PhD I would sign asap!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Really sounds like you're doing this for the wrong reason...but yeah, you can use TA (tuition assistance) while you're still active duty, or the GI Bill once your enlistment/commission is over

Really sounds like you're doing this for the wrong reason...but yeah, you can use TA (tuition assistance) while you're still active duty, or the GI Bill once your enlistment/commission is over
Thanks for the info but please keep your holier than thou attitude to yourself. A PhD costs a ton of time and money and this would be an awesome route to getting one. Obviously if I did do it I would be committing myself to the full 20. That would be 20 years of supporting the men and women of our armed forces. 

Thanks for the info but please keep your holier than thou attitude to yourself. A PhD costs a ton of time and money and this would be an awesome route to getting one. Obviously if I did do it I would be committing myself to the full 20. That would be 20 years of supporting the men and women of our armed forces. 

No holier than though at all, but being that the whole DOD is in a period of Force Reduction, explaining to an officer recruiter that you're doing it to get your Ph.D paid for really isn't going to help your cause. Its a selection process, and is pretty competitive. And you dont NEED to commit to the full 20 to get the education benefits

No holier than though at all, but being that the whole DOD is in a period of Force Reduction, explaining to an officer recruiter that you're doing it to get your Ph.D paid for really isn't going to help your cause. Its a selection process, and is pretty competitive. And you dont NEED to commit to the full 20 to get the education benefits
Thanks for the clarification. I would be going into mental heath which is perhaps the one exception to the force reduction. I talked to a few recruiters who I would be hired instantly. 

Is anyone in here the reserves im thinking about signing up whats It like and how easy/hard is it to move up in rank.

I'm retired but I can give some info.

If you're not 100% sure, don't go. 

Bonuses for enlisting, does it exist? It exists but it's nowhere near 20k.

I didn't do well on my asvab, can I take the test again? Yes, you can..

Will I ever deploy and get sent to war? Everyone gets deployed but the chances of you being in combat is very slim unless you're a corpsman, 11B, and 0300.

Is it true that they take care of food and shelter all paid for ? Yes, they do that. You can eat at the chow hall and they provide a dorm to stay at if you choose to live on base. 

How's the GI Bill? Awesome, free schooling is always nice.

How's reserves compared to active duty? Reserves, you go to drill every month for a weekend and you get to live as civilian. Active duty, you stay on base but you get paid more than reserves.

Enlisted vs Officer? Being enlisted, you get paid less than an officer but picking up rank is less complex. Being an officer, you have pick up rank before a deadline but it shouldn't be hard if you work and do your job right. 

If I go enlisted in the beginning, am I able to go officer in the future? Yes, you can and you can send your package to become officer after 2 years being enlisted. You still have go to OCS like everyone though..

What's the difference between Navy, Army, USMC, and AF? Every branch trains differently but we get the same pay grade. 

Any jobs that I shouldn't go for? Cooks, you don't want stay in the kitchen all day. Trust me, there are far better jobs out there.

Can I postpone my shipping date to basic? Yes, you can. Take care of the things you need to do and get in good shape.

Is basic training hard? Going to boot camp is the easiest thing that you have to go through.

I'm getting stationed, will it be hard to find people to hang out with? This is the military, you're bound to find people to go have a beer and hang out to play pool.

What's a horrible place to get stationed at? 29 Palms, it's beyond dreadful. It's filled with a miserable smell from the poor souls stationed there..

When I'm stationed, will I have freedom to do stuff? Yes, you get to do whatever you want after you're done with work. You can go out on the weekends, get a hotel room and all that good stuff.

Hope this help out to anyone needs answers. 

how is the military i've heard mix results from other people really been thinkin of joinin

This.

Heard there is a 40K sign on bonus right now too

not at all right now. They are in force reduction mode, which means that they have actually scaled back recruiting..so offering somebody 40k when they dont really need you anyways aint happening. Back in the mid 2000s it was pretty common to see bonuses like that though

I'm retired but I can give some info.

How's the GI Bill? Awesome, free schooling is always nice.

What's a horrible place to get stationed at? 29 Palms, it's beyond dreadful. It's filled with a miserable smell from the poor souls stationed there..

The GI Bill is BEAUTIFUL

AND 29 PALMS IS THE WORST...Camp Lejeune has to be a close second

Still waiting on my Final Select letter for Navy OCS. I was pro rec'd in January :smh: :smh: :smh:. I'm beginning to get frustrated, my life is pretty much on hold for now. I can't make plans to do anything

Got orders to Ramstein, Germany on my birthday. Headed there Feb 2013.

Excited for the opportunity, but it came at a bad time. Not a damn thing I could do about it though.

Got my orders for OCS yesterday. I need to be there November 11th. I'm still kind of shell shocked because I was hoping to have more time than this to get ready. I put in my notice for my job today and my last day is Friday. I have so much to do (get in better running/swimming shape, study the gouge, make travel plans, buy stuff, spend time time with family, etc.) in such a small amount of time. It's kinda messed up though because some people found out they'd be in this class 3 months in advance and I find out 3 weeks in advance but it is what is it. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom