The Official NBA PG Thread

Figure it's the end of the season, might as well put up a new ranking system:

Tier 1: Point God's
1. Deron Williams (Brings the best of D.Rose and CP3 into one body; while not as good at running a team as CP3 is, or as prolific a scorer as Rose is, he brings it all together in what you want from the position. The trade shadowed just how good he was this year as the dude becomes part of the exclusive 20 & 10 club).
2 D.Rose (Your 2011 MVP, became one of the hardest guy in the world to guard this year though.  Showed ability to improve and more importantly the drive, and scary to think but the guy will keep getting better).
3. CP3 (Plays with a crap team and still runs a team better than any human being alive.  Court vision is still as good as anyone ever however his knee injury seemed to limit him at times this year although he looked better toward the end of the season.  It will be interesting to see how he does from here on out healthwise and also probably in a city somewhere different from New Orelans.)

Tier 2: On the Brink
1. Russell Westbrook (Guy grew as well this year as he attacks the hoop as hard as anyone in the league.  While he is a great free throw shooter, his long range shooting leaves has lots of room to improve. Also his decision making is questionable time as he still needs to further develop his feel for running a team as he can favor his own shot over creating for others too much, especially late in games.  An underrated defender though who can guard 1's and 2's at an elite level.)
2. Steve Nash (The guy is 38 and still runs a team so well.  His shooting and ball IQ make it seem like he'll never fall off.  Really is no different than he was last season, just hampered by his mediocre cast)
3. Rajon Rondo (Was exposed somewhat this year, why he still the premeir defender at the PG decision and an amazing distrubutor, his lack of ability to shoot beyond what seems like 5 feet continues to hamper his development.)
4. Ty Lawson (Maybe premature, but the man looks like CP3-lite right now, post-Melo as stepped up as the leader of a team that has not taken a step back.  His 3-point barrage the other night shows just how good the guy can be.)
5. Steph Curry (Feel like he would be higher on this list if he didn't have to play with Mont'e, as good a shooter as anyone living, an offenseive savant who has a transcdent feel for the game).

Tier 3A: Young and Talented
Jrue Holiday
John Wall
Mike Conley
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowery
Tyreke Evans (don't think he's a PG but I'll put him here anyway)

Tier 3B: Good Veterans:
Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups
Raymond Felton
Tony Parker
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris

Tier 4: Washed and get by on Rep
J. Kidd
B. Diddy
D. Fisher

Don't feel like ranking anyone else.

1. Deron Williams (Brings the best of D.Rose and CP3 into one body; while not as good at running a team as CP3 is, or as prolific a scorer as Rose is, he brings it all together in what you want from the position. The trade shadowed just how good he was this year as the dude becomes part of the exclusive 20 & 10 club).
2 D.Rose (Your 2011 MVP, became one of the hardest guy in the world to guard this year though.  Showed ability to improve and more importantly the drive, and scary to think but the guy will keep getting better).
3. CP3 (Plays with a crap team and still runs a team better than any human being alive.  Court vision is still as good as anyone ever however his knee injury seemed to limit him at times this year although he looked better toward the end of the season.  It will be interesting to see how he does from here on out healthwise and also probably in a city somewhere different from New Orelans.)

1. Russell Westbrook (Guy grew as well this year as he attacks the hoop as hard as anyone in the league.  While he is a great free throw shooter, his long range shooting leaves has lots of room to improve. Also his decision making is questionable time as he still needs to further develop his feel for running a team as he can favor his own shot over creating for others too much, especially late in games.  An underrated defender though who can guard 1's and 2's at an elite level.)
2. Steve Nash (The guy is 38 and still runs a team so well.  His shooting and ball IQ make it seem like he'll never fall off.  Really is no different than he was last season, just hampered by his mediocre cast)
3. Rajon Rondo (Was exposed somewhat this year, why he still the premeir defender at the PG decision and an amazing distrubutor, his lack of ability to shoot beyond what seems like 5 feet continues to hamper his development.)
4. Ty Lawson (Maybe premature, but the man looks like CP3-lite right now, post-Melo as stepped up as the leader of a team that has not taken a step back.  His 3-point barrage the other night shows just how good the guy can be.)
5. Steph Curry (Feel like he would be higher on this list if he didn't have to play with Mont'e, as good a shooter as anyone living, an offenseive savant who has a transcdent feel for the game).

Jrue Holiday
John Wall
Mike Conley
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowery

Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups
Raymond Felton
Tony Parker
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris

J. Kidd
B. Diddy
D. Fisher

DL have you not seen the majority of the NBA season? Rose has been the best PG for the whole year! Since the first game of the season he has been obliterating teams. But still there are people who say Chris Paul is better or even Rondo. Crazy I tell you. People say Chris Paul's been consistent longer or Rose isn't proven, yada yada....Whatever...All I know is Rose completely dominated each of the other guards when they matched up win or lose.

Now to answer your question about Rondo. Yes he's overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's very good but to put him in the same class as these elite pgs is ridiculous. I've been saying this the whole year as well: Rondo looks better than he is because he plays with 4 hall of famers (if you include Shaq). Yea sure he can pass but what happens when the team they're facing decide to play hard defense on Allen, KG, or Pierce and Rondo is open. He has to shoot. Should he shoot? It doesn't matter because he can't shoot. Hell, he can't even make a foul shot. He's a good player but could he be a franchise player like Rose, Williams, or Paul..I don't think so.

When I said those stats are meaningless I meant that you should not read too much into them, they're deceiving. If you watched games you would see how dominate Rose is.

Regarding finishing at the rim - Name a player in recent times that you've seen finish with BOTH HANDS that good at the rim. Rose does floaters, layups and what ever else he wants at the rim with his left so well that you would think that's his dominate hand.

I'm not going to lie and sit here and tell you I'm not a Rose fan. He's one of my favorite players and rightly so. Have you seen him play? His game is just so disgusting that it's easy to see why he's so many people's favorite player. He brings so much excitement to the game while also maintaining a very humble attitude in interviews. The guy is class.

DL have you not seen the majority of the NBA season? Rose has been the best PG for the whole year! Since the first game of the season he has been obliterating teams. But still there are people who say Chris Paul is better or even Rondo. Crazy I tell you. People say Chris Paul's been consistent longer or Rose isn't proven, yada yada....Whatever...All I know is Rose completely dominated each of the other guards when they matched up win or lose.

Now to answer your question about Rondo. Yes he's overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's very good but to put him in the same class as these elite pgs is ridiculous. I've been saying this the whole year as well: Rondo looks better than he is because he plays with 4 hall of famers (if you include Shaq). Yea sure he can pass but what happens when the team they're facing decide to play hard defense on Allen, KG, or Pierce and Rondo is open. He has to shoot. Should he shoot? It doesn't matter because he can't shoot. Hell, he can't even make a foul shot. He's a good player but could he be a franchise player like Rose, Williams, or Paul..I don't think so.

When I said those stats are meaningless I meant that you should not read too much into them, they're deceiving. If you watched games you would see how dominate Rose is.

Regarding finishing at the rim - Name a player in recent times that you've seen finish with BOTH HANDS that good at the rim. Rose does floaters, layups and what ever else he wants at the rim with his left so well that you would think that's his dominate hand.

I'm not going to lie and sit here and tell you I'm not a Rose fan. He's one of my favorite players and rightly so. Have you seen him play? His game is just so disgusting that it's easy to see why he's so many people's favorite player. He brings so much excitement to the game while also maintaining a very humble attitude in interviews. The guy is class.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Brooks ain't no vet. But thanks for not hating on Tyreke like you always do.
laugh.gif

Jrue Holiday
John Wall
Mike Conley
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowery

Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups
Raymond Felton
Tony Parker
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris

J. Kidd
B. Diddy
D. Fisher

Can't say I disagree with anything. Tier 4 is just unnecessary though
laugh.gif

I would put JKidd in 3B. Come on he still deserves mention. I'd still put him above Lowry, Conley, Aaron Brooks, probably even Devin Harris as far as this season. He's putting up meager numbers, but his leadership and intangibles give him the edge still over the guys I mentioned.

Fisher and Diddy? They don't even have to be brought up..

There's so much talent at that position. When Mo Williams, Stuckey, Jameer, and Darren Collison don't even get mentioned that says something. And I'm not saying those guys deserve to be talked about, but the league has a ton of solid PG's. Jose, DJ Augestine, Sessions as well..

Jrue Holiday
John Wall
Mike Conley
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowery

Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups
Raymond Felton
Tony Parker
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris

J. Kidd
B. Diddy
D. Fisher

Can't say I disagree with anything. Tier 4 is just unnecessary though
laugh.gif

I would put JKidd in 3B. Come on he still deserves mention. I'd still put him above Lowry, Conley, Aaron Brooks, probably even Devin Harris as far as this season. He's putting up meager numbers, but his leadership and intangibles give him the edge still over the guys I mentioned.

Fisher and Diddy? They don't even have to be brought up..

There's so much talent at that position. When Mo Williams, Stuckey, Jameer, and Darren Collison don't even get mentioned that says something. And I'm not saying those guys deserve to be talked about, but the league has a ton of solid PG's. Jose, DJ Augestine, Sessions as well..

Jrue Holiday
John Wall
Mike Conley
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowery

Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups
Raymond Felton
Tony Parker
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris

J. Kidd
B. Diddy
D. Fisher

Not really understanding the rationale of having Ty Lawson or Steph Curry as "on the brink" while having John Wall in the "Young and Talented" group....

Jrue Holiday
John Wall
Mike Conley
Brandon Jennings
Kyle Lowery

Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups
Raymond Felton
Tony Parker
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris

J. Kidd
B. Diddy
D. Fisher

Not really understanding the rationale of having Ty Lawson or Steph Curry as "on the brink" while having John Wall in the "Young and Talented" group....

Really, you don't think Ty Lawson and Steph Curry haven't shown more than Wall yet? I don't know what to tell you but they are ahead of Wall development wise right now, especially Ty. While I think Wall will eventally be #1 on this list down tjhe road, he has a long wayyyyyyyy to go in learning how to run a team...Playing with those genius teamattes of his this year hasn't exactly helped him either.

Really, you don't think Ty Lawson and Steph Curry haven't shown more than Wall yet? I don't know what to tell you but they are ahead of Wall development wise right now, especially Ty. While I think Wall will eventally be #1 on this list down tjhe road, he has a long wayyyyyyyy to go in learning how to run a team...Playing with those genius teamattes of his this year hasn't exactly helped him either.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  If you're going to put Ty Lawson in that upper tier, then you gotta do the same for Kyle Lowry.  See how that works?  It's been a VERY small sample from Lawson.  He's got a lot of potential and done well since Billups was shipped out, but in looking at the whole picture, I don't see how you put him over Wall.  As far as Curry...he's a good player, but honestly, I wonder how effective he'd be in another situation outside of GS.  I'd take Wall as a rookie 10x outta 10 over those two players.  There are a lot of things that he (Wall) needs to work on this summer, but as a pure PG -considering the "talent" he's working with-, he's better than both of those guys right now as far as being a pure PG. 

I wholeheartedly disagree.  If you're going to put Ty Lawson in that upper tier, then you gotta do the same for Kyle Lowry.  See how that works?  It's been a VERY small sample from Lawson.  He's got a lot of potential and done well since Billups was shipped out, but in looking at the whole picture, I don't see how you put him over Wall.  As far as Curry...he's a good player, but honestly, I wonder how effective he'd be in another situation outside of GS.  I'd take Wall as a rookie 10x outta 10 over those two players.  There are a lot of things that he (Wall) needs to work on this summer, but as a pure PG -considering the "talent" he's working with-, he's better than both of those guys right now as far as being a pure PG. 

Uh I like Wall and he's got great potential because of his athleticism but let's not overrate what he's shown this season. He can't shoot, and he can't shoot 3's and it's very difficult to run a good offense when your point can't shoot three's.

He also commits a million turnovers, combine these two things no matter how good his passing is murders offenses.

Curry and Lawsons rookie years were better than Wall's, and let me tell you Wall most likely will fix these things, but to me for that position, Curry has potential to be every bit as good, I just think the GS situation hasn't really allowed him to develop. 

Uh I like Wall and he's got great potential because of his athleticism but let's not overrate what he's shown this season. He can't shoot, and he can't shoot 3's and it's very difficult to run a good offense when your point can't shoot three's.

He also commits a million turnovers, combine these two things no matter how good his passing is murders offenses.

Curry and Lawsons rookie years were better than Wall's, and let me tell you Wall most likely will fix these things, but to me for that position, Curry has potential to be every bit as good, I just think the GS situation hasn't really allowed him to develop. 

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Lawson's rookie year was better?  Really?  How am I overrating his rookie season when he's in ELITE company considering the #'s he has put up?  Also, I think Derrick Rose/Rondo do a "decent" job of running their respective offenses despite (rose, not so much anymore) having their limitations shooting.  That being said, I'm sure Wall will put in work this summer to improve his outside shooting.  Also, if you're gonna get on Wall for his high # of TOs, then you have to do the same for Curry.   I'm putting Wall over the both of them...easily.  

Lawson's rookie year was better?  Really?  How am I overrating his rookie season when he's in ELITE company considering the #'s he has put up?  Also, I think Derrick Rose/Rondo do a "decent" job of running their respective offenses despite (rose, not so much anymore) having their limitations shooting.  That being said, I'm sure Wall will put in work this summer to improve his outside shooting.  Also, if you're gonna get on Wall for his high # of TOs, then you have to do the same for Curry.   I'm putting Wall over the both of them...easily.  

Have you watched Ty Lawson play recently, honest question? Cause if you think him and Wall are playing in the same stratosphere right now, I don't know what to tell you. Ty Lawson has been the engine to a team that has only improved post-Melo, the Rockets aren't in the playoffs so not understanding that Lowery comparison.

Have you watched Ty Lawson play recently, honest question? Cause if you think him and Wall are playing in the same stratosphere right now, I don't know what to tell you. Ty Lawson has been the engine to a team that has only improved post-Melo, the Rockets aren't in the playoffs so not understanding that Lowery comparison.

I've watched the Nuggets play a few times since Melo has been dealt, and he has looked good but I'm looking at the whole picture...he's started 30 games this season.  I brought up Kyle Lowry, because how has he looked since Brooks was shipped out?  I don't see how you can put ANYONE in that 2nd tier that you have based off of a small sample size.    

I've watched the Nuggets play a few times since Melo has been dealt, and he has looked good but I'm looking at the whole picture...he's started 30 games this season.  I brought up Kyle Lowry, because how has he looked since Brooks was shipped out?  I don't see how you can put ANYONE in that 2nd tier that you have based off of a small sample size.    

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Curry turnovers have to do with the pace GS plays at, his turn over rate is lower than Wall's.

I just don't see how this rookie year where he shot, 40/29/ with like 5 TO a game puts him in elite company, I understand that his athletic gifts make his cieling really high but I don't think he's been better than Lawson or Curry was.

and given how impactfull shooting is from the point gaurd position I think Curry has the potential to be every bit as good as wall.

Back
Top Bottom