The Official NBA Season Thread: Free Agency Day

It was clear they had no wiggle room nor flexibility to add much

Failing to even offer him an extension was a lack of foresight

Bring up the previous management, fair. Compounding the problem shouldn’t be excused
I haven't excused anything - I said all last year and into the summer they kinda didn't have much choice and needed to pay him or they were setting themselves back a couple years... I wouldn't have loved damn near maxing him out - mainly because I think the him and Luka combo has a ceiling on what you can do - but should they have probably done it at that point? 100%.

They absolutely shot themselves in the foot in the short-term letting him walk. Long-term? We'll see.

I really just don't believe any foresight of simply offering the extension early or not at the time mattered.

As good as the bucks have been i feel they still havent taken that next step. I know middleton injury doesnt help but at some point they should be blowing teams out with starters resting in the 4th

Last edited:
I remember when a large portion of the thread (and the basketball world in general) thought Kristaps Porzingis and Luka Doncic were going to run it after that trade was made.

That was the move made for the "2nd star" that I don't think anyone saw turning into....Spencer Dinwiddie a few years later. Beyond Jalen Brunson...that's where the real roadblock for the Mavericks begins.

For all the comparison to Lebron's first Cleveland tenure...I don't think they drafted or traded for a player of KP's (perceived) caliber. Cuban took the swing for the fences that was supposed to make the team a perennial contender. It just backfired horribly.

Knicks strategy worked for 47 minutes. It sucks they couldn't grab the final board

Let luka go off and hope he is not efficient. Limit the others. He was very efficient, which kept the mavs close.

We can do that with every chip.

GSW didn't do anything for 40 years. The Lakers and Celtics have Jim Crow racism pre-talent boom chips, the Spurs never won back to back, The Bulls arent even a real franchise but rather an enshrinement to one person.

Mark Cuban isn't THAT bad of an owner. Chips revolve around having top 25 all time guys and the Dallas Mavericks have had one of those. Thats it. If he totally mismanages the Luka thing, then have at it.

One of these is not like the others

So you’re saying there’s no upside to not offering an extension after the clipper series and then continually criticizing those criticizing the lack for foresight

Come on brother lol

After the “bad series” against the clips, they had him perfect to offer a team friendly deal, knowing they were stuck with an injured porzingis and no other bullets

When everything is urgent
100%

And it's worth it to just about everyone in the league. Which is why I don't believe he'd have been in any hurry to sign it. That deal was always going to be there for him somewhere in the league regardless of how long he waited.

DFS signed that deal because that deal was about the pinnacle of what Dorian's value was ever gonna be. I don't think Brunson's circle was ever gonna take a deal early that would've always been on the table.

I disagree on both. If Dorian gets to FA he’s seeing 15-18 per and I think Jalen takes that deal after his father was never on a guaranteed contract.

A week before it hit the public someone told me Jalen was gone because they didn’t offer more than 23 and they were going to spin it as he just wanted to play for his dad and not the money.

This person works for the team so I get little upset when the narrative gets spun about Jalen was never coming back

Back
Top Bottom