The Official NBA Season Thread: Free Agency Day

They ok, the NFL definitely has it's issues, but for a casual fan with a busy life, it is still easier to follow than the NBA.

Some of the advantages the NFL has is because of the culture prominence American football has built over many decades, but some of it is just that the fundamentals of the two leagues makes the NFL easier to get into.

Football is ubiquitous across American culture, def the case in some states (i.e., Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio, Florida, etc).

The NFL having (almost) every game being played at the same time is a huge advantage for them. No one will remember horrible Colts-Texans game at 1:00 if the primetime game is great.

Also having a week between games gives fans & networks time to discuss the last game while also hyping up the next one.

In theory, this holds true.

Unfortunately, the fans will get some snoozers. Here are some games I can recall from recent memory:

Week 1: Buffalo v. Rams
Week 2: Chicago v. GB (IDC if this is an all-time great rivalry. Both teams were mediocre)
Week 13: Indiana v. Dallas [We should've gotten KC v. Cin instead]
Week 16: LV v. Pitt [Shouldve gotten NYG v. Minn]

The NFL isn't going to get it right all the time, but they should be able to get the flex weeks right.

Last edited:
NBA commentary for games is atrocious

It probably won't affect viewership but damn does it make watching games less enjoyable to here people like Reggie Miller say dumb **** all game.

Before last season Tony Romo was absolutely a gem to listen to. Greg Olsen is right up on his rear end.

Commentary in NFL is far superior to the NBA. But this is probably more related to network agreements than anything else. Hopefully, the quality of commentary improves IF another network secures the right to air NBA games.

See Tony Romo :lol: :lol: :lol:

The NFL has its fair share too :lol: :lol:

Currently, Romo has digressed. Whether this is related to interest or distraction or whatever. He used to be A1 with the commentary. He introduced a different lens for viewers to look into. Even the casual fan understood his points.

Romo isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's really enthusiastic and positive about the league. Meanwhile Barkley and Shaq **** all over the current league all the time or just flat out admit they don't watch or pay attention. :lol:

They don't do the league any favors with that.

Having allstar weekend in mf'n Utah is wild to begin with.

Not really. Ski season is at its peak during the ASG. A lot of tourists and people will already be in town. Park City is considered one of the world's premier resorts. It's 40 min away from SLC. I can see the reasoning behind having the game in Utah.

Romo isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's really enthusiastic and positive about the league. Meanwhile Barkley and Shaq **** all over the current league all the time or just flat out admit they don't watch or pay attention. :lol:

They don't do the league any favors with that.

But they're saying what many fans are thinking. Load Management is a huge issue.

I do not agree with their stance on curtailing the 3 ball and bringing back more emphasis on traditional bigs. Do they not remember the 2005 NBA Finals? Sure, it was a great series if you're a basketball purist, but most aren't.

Romo is UNBEARABLE when calling Bills games. He should be banned for their broadcasts next season :lol:

Not really. Ski season is at its peak during the ASG. A lot of tourists and people will already be in town. Park City is considered one of the world's premier resorts. It's 40 min away from SLC. I can see the reasoning behind having the game in Utah.

Nobody is going to ASG to ski, man :lol: They are looking to turn up and have a good time out and about in the host city. That is the best part.

But they're saying what many fans are thinking. Load Management is a huge issue.

I do not agree with their stance on curtailing the 3 ball and bringing back more emphasis on traditional bigs. Do they not remember the 2005 NBA Finals? Sure, it was a great series if you're a basketball purist, but most aren't.
The negativity from Shaq and Chuck goes well beyond commenting on load management, etc. They actively dump on current players or act like some aren't important enough for them to even know about. To give an examle, the most notable thing either of them had to say about the Lakers getting Rui Hachimura was calling him "Rui Hoochie-mama". I'm sure they got some cheap giggles on that from certain viewers, but in the long run stuff like that doesn't help the league at all.

The Broncos Christmas game was terrible all around and had more viewers than any NBA game. The NFL is a cult. It's not being overtaken. Dudes won't even let their kids play football cause it's dangerous but they have no issues watching other people's kids try and hurt each other.

I hope they don't water down all the Liquor in the bars like they always do in SLC.

Nobody is going to ASG to ski, man :lol: They are looking to turn up and have a good time out and about in the host city. That is the best part.

Not suggesting people who go to the ASG will also go skiing.

I'm saying, SLC is usually busy around this time of the year. There are tons of people in the area because of the ski season anyway.

The NBA season is just to long. For most teams in the NFL each game feels important. I don't care to watch NBA games until it's close to playoffs or have a bet in

Aight how do I put this... Black folks ain't tryna ski during allstar weekend. Night life, partying, celebs is what makes allstar weekend what it is. Not ski season. :lol:

I hope they don't water down all the Liquor in the bars like they always do in SLC.

Why is this a thing over there? They don't want people getting super wasted?

Not suggesting people who go to the ASG will also go skiing.

I'm saying, SLC is usually busy around this time of the year. There are tons of people in the area because of the ski season anyway.

I mean surprisingly, Jazz home games operate at 100% capacity but I view the ASG as more of a Super Bowl-esque event where you attract an influx of celebrities and out of towners as opposed to home fans or folks who are simply in the area for other reasons.

EDIT:
Aight how do put this... Black folks ain't tryna ski during allstar weekend. Night life, partying, celebs is what makes allstar weekend what it is. Not ski season. :lol:

Yeah this is what I was getting at. ASW is supposed to be an attraction, not "there will be tons of warm bodies in this location so let's host it there" weekend

NBA also has more more global appeal than the NFL.

I highly doubt they’re losing much sleep over the NFL’s stronghold on the heathens of America.

That’s won’t stop them from trying and it shouldn’t.

319A4A4B-9803-4D7E-9A3E-B62B5F6FEB71.png

They ok, the NFL definitely has it's issues, but for a casual fan with a busy life, it is still easier to follow than the NBA.

Some of the advantages the NFL has is because of the culture prominence American football has built over many decades, but some of it is just that the fundamentals of the two leagues makes the NFL easier to get into.

I disagree with this a lil bit. I used to be a guy who equally watched NFL/NBA content.

After like the past couple of years…I’ve slowly become a causal nfl watcher, and pretty much only catch the ravens games.

I am completely lost on who is nice, who is who etc, around the league, except the big names. And I don’t even no or care much about them.

I think the NBA makes up for that with their social media shenanigans and 24/hr content.

As a guy who’s times been cut shorter, I find it much easier to follow the NBA.

Back
Top Bottom