The Official NBA Season Thread: Derrick Rose Retires 🌹

That's not how that works. They break even on tuition and expenses. This is part of a $125M fundraising push they started in 2018 for the athletic program. They raised $75M by the start of the 2022 school year. No idea what it's at today, but presumably over $100M. Woj got paid 7 figures.
The university is run as a non-profit corporation, which means there are limits to how it allocates money and for what purposes. They can’t just pay university employees whatever they want.

The university is run as a non-profit corporation, which means there are limits to how it allocates money and for what purposes. They can’t just pay university employees whatever they want.
A reasonable wage is the standard for a comparable employee elsewhere. Go take a look at what AD's and coaches are making and yes, they can indeed pay them whatever they want.

Also I'm not suggesting he's making anywhere close to what ESPN paid him, but a million a year? Absolutely reasonable wage.

I'm confused does all the wealth Woj has made all of the sudden vanish because he took another gig so he can't continue to live the current lifestyle he's had over the years?

He's broke now?
Right? And he probably has income streams we’re not even aware of from investments, etc. He’s got a book out there that’s still selling, among other things.

Last edited:
A reasonable wage is the standard for a comparable employee elsewhere. Go take a look at what AD's and coaches are making and yes, they can indeed pay them whatever they want.
Are you an expert on non-profit, religious corporations?

Are you an expert on non-profit, religious corporations?
Well I work for a non-profit and have a pretty inside look at how Notre Dame athletics work given one of my best friends was an All-American football player there and the owner of my dad's company has a wing of their engineering building named after him. So yeah, probably compared to the average person.

Well I work for a non-profit and have a pretty inside look at how Notre Dame athletics work given one of my best friends was an All-American football player there and the owner of my dad's company has a wing of their engineering building named after him. So yeah, probably compared to the average person.
OK. You’re an expert for sure then. I stand down.

OK. You’re an expert for sure then. I stand down.
I just think the uninformed opinion from an outsider perspective is that non-profits can't pay well because there's some "charitable" cause behind them. In many cases they will pay market rates for employees or even slightly above which isn't illegal. They do this to minimize their profits as well as compete for top talent. For example my organization does profit sharing to minimize what's left in the general coffers at the end of every financial year.

Wasn't trying to slight you at all, but I thought we were all on the same page that NCAA personnel have seen their salaries skyrocket in the past decade. This role Woj is taking looks similar to an AD job. The ten highest paid AD's in college sports range from 1.5M-3M/annually. A 7 figure job in this instance doesn't seem out of line with the market.

Hmm wonder who takes the news breaker role at ESPN now. Haynes did just leave BR and Shams will be a free agent.

dm_180701_NBA_SC_Ramona_Kobe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom