The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League / USA vs AUS at noon ET on FS1

My Knicks winning two titles in the next 5 years…
IMG_9857.jpeg

I always wondered what would happen if a star player took a massive discount because they’ll already be making hundreds of millions of dollars. Pretty funny seeing the reaction to it actually happening

If you assume that Brunson would have otherwise signed a five-year max contract with the Knicks next summer, the gap between that deal and the one he signed Friday was roughly $113.6 million. However, that is a significant oversimplification of the situation.

Let's look at this contract year-by-year. The 2024-25 season, in either scenario, is a wash. The only way that the Knicks could have added salary to Brunson's deal for this upcoming season would have been by creating cap space to execute a renegotiation-and-extension. They operated above the cap, so that wasn't on the table. Brunson was always going to earn the $25 million or so that he was contractually guaranteed when he originally signed in New York. The new money conversation begins with the 2025-26 season.

This new deal covers three guaranteed seasons before strategically giving Brunson the chance to opt out ahead of the 2028-29 campaign (more on that in a bit). He received a 40% raise on his 2024-25 salary, which rises 8% annually thereafter. That is the maximum allowable under veteran extension rules. If Brunson had waited until next summer to re-sign, his new salary would not have been linked to his old one. He would have become a free agent eligible to earn anything up to his max, which would have been 30% of the salary cap as a seven-year veteran with those same 8% annual raises attached. The difference in those figures is significant, but it's not $113.6 million.

1720889933075.png

So I see why they hiding bronny into the sg position. Bruh cannot successfully bring the ball up court. He has the same fake left go right move then get picked. They have bruh in the SG role and cannot shoot is nasty work! :smh: The intensity of these summer league games are a lot more than those nba combines and the pre season is more intense than this and the regular season is way more intense than the pre season = Insane Nepotism

Back
Top Bottom