The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League | USA VS South Sudan at 3 ET on Fox

Eh it's not that complex, officials like to hide behind complexity to adopt a learned helplessness.

homelessness is a problem the home owners of California have created for themselves.

I'm watching it happen in Toronto,
growing encampments and complacent homeowners who want to either ignore the problem or demand more cops.
It’s not that simple. California has 30 percent of the US’s homeless population. People come from elsewhere to be homeless here because of the weather. And there is a significant portion of them that aren’t homeless just because they can’t afford housing. They view it as a lifestyle choice. In some instances they reject offers of housing because it comes with strings attached they don’t like.

There are significant mental health and substance abuse issues contributing to the homeless situation in California. They have to be addressed along with making more housing available or the situation isn’t going to improve.

Cali has too many single family homes and not enough density. Throw in the NIMBY’s and it’s a recipe for disaster. Where we currently are as a population pretty much all housing needs to be multi family type.

It’s not that simple. California has 30 percent of the US’s homeless population. People come from elsewhere to be homeless here because of the weather. And there is a significant portion of them that aren’t homeless just because they can’t afford housing. They view it as a lifestyle choice. In some instances they reject offers of housing because it comes with strings attached they don’t like.

There are significant mental health and substance abuse issues contributing to the homeless situation in California. They have to be addressed along with making more housing available or the situation isn’t going to improve.

Mental health and substance abuse are not unique to california,
nor is warm weather.

New Mexico has a higher rate of drug overdoses and warm weather.
so does Louisiana.

1674919823252.png

1674919854585.png

while of course there are other factors than impact homelessness,
it's a multivariable problem.

but the biggest variable is housing. and all solutions should be housing first.

and if California homeowners don't want more housing around them,
then they are making the choice to have massive homeless encampments, and they shouldn't complain.

don't let politicians hide behind, "omg it's so complex. " it's not, they are lying.

homeowners just desire something fundamentally impossible,

they want;
high population, high home values and low density, and a low homeless population.

it's simply not possible. so people gaslight, and come up with fake solutions to fake complexity
to avoid dealing with the problem.

My last job before moving to Dallas… was working just blocks away from my house. First time I’d ever worked less than 5 min away from home

Was at an office/warehouse that faced a park in Long Beach. Very peaceful neighborhood

Anyway, months in had a homeless dude set up shop along the wall entrance. Didn’t think much of it. Even after a half dozen homeless would consistently congregate and unfortunately leave **** everywhere

When I say ****, it was literal ****. Somehow they’d spray the actual wall. Like, they’d had to have pointed their asses vertically to have achieved this. Liquid **** oozing all over the walls and sidewalk, flowing all the way down to the street

A lot of times I could barely avoid stepping in it. First time I’d experienced this. This went of for the whole time I was there. The homelessness in Long Beach is definitely one of their biggest issues. I dunno how that is gonna improve

Mental health and substance abuse are not unique to california,
nor is warm weather.

New Mexico has a higher rate of drug overdoses and warm weather.
so does Louisiana.

1674919823252.png

1674919854585.png

while of course there are other factors than impact homelessness,
it's a multivariable problem.

but the biggest variable is housing. and all solutions should be housing first.

and if California homeowners don't want more housing around them,
then they are making the choice to have massive homeless encampments, and they shouldn't complain.
I don’t want to go back and forth on this, but comparing other states to California in this regard is apples-to-oranges for a lot of reasons, some of which I’ve already mentioned. And I’m of course not saying that making more affordable housing available isn’t a big part of the solution to the problem, just that it’s not THE soliton.

My last job before moving to Dallas… was working just blocks away from my house. First time I’d ever worked less than 5 min away from home

Was at an office/warehouse that faced a park in Long Beach. Very peaceful neighborhood

Anyway, months in had a homeless dude set up shop along the wall entrance. Didn’t think much of it. Even after a half dozen homeless would consistently congregate and unfortunately leave **** everywhere

When I say ****, it was literal ****. Somehow they’d spray the actual wall. Like, they’d had to have pointed their asses vertically to have achieved this. Liquid **** oozing all over the walls and sidewalk, flowing all the way down to the street

A lot of times I could barely avoid stepping in it. First time I’d experienced this. This went of for the whole time I was there. The homelessness in Long Beach is definitely one of their biggest issues. I dunno how that is gonna improve

Im sorry but this is freaking hilarious.

Why the first thing that came to mind was the kid from Daddy Day Care :lol:

I don’t want to go back and forth on this, but comparing other states to California in this regard is apples-to-oranges for a lot of reasons, some of which I’ve already mentioned.

the link you posted doesn't seem to describe what makes it apples to oranges.
tbh it seems to support my point.

1674920684085.png

And I’m of course not saying that making more affordable housing available isn’t a big part of the solution to the problem, just that it’s not THE soliton.

i mean okay fine, it's by far the biggest part of the solution dwarfing every other cause.

all im saying is don't let politicians and homeowners avoid the problem with fake appeals to complexity.
you can say hey there are other factors sure. fine. but it's not so insanely complex that politicians should be paralyzed.

they are paralyzed because the voters ultimately want this.

I was in NYC a ton this summer
and New Yorkers have all just come to accept that the city is filled with piles of garbage and rats.

and people really seem to think that a city that big, giant piles of garbage are unavoidable.

it's not, it's a policy choice to live with giant piles of garbage.

just like a choice to live with massive homeless encampments.
you should have ZERO sympathy for fake appeals to complexity.

Torontonians are complaining about increasing crime and encampments,
any time I hear that BS, I gotta set em straight, it's a choice. we have chosen to live this way.

the link you posted doesn't seem to describe what makes it apples to oranges.
tbh it seems to support my point.

1674920684085.png

i mean okay fine, it's by far the biggest part of the solution dwarfing every other cause.

all im saying is don't let politicians and homeowners avoid the problem with fake appeals to complexity.
you can say hey there are other factors sure. fine. but it's not so insanely complex that politicians should be paralyzed.

they are paralyzed because the voters ultimately want this.
You appear to have very selectively read from the article I posted, but cool.

You appear to have very selectively read from the article I posted, but cool.

I skimmed through it. I don't see it addressing why my comparison was wrong.
It talks about housing the lack of shelters,
it says the a higher percentage of California's homeless live outside the shelter system. (but it doesn't seem to be adjusted for lack of housing)
and Deinstitutionalization in the 50's which im aware.

I honestly don't see what it disproves about the point I made.

I skimmed through it. I don't see it addressing why my comparison was wrong.
It talks about housing the lack of shelters,
it says the a higher percentage of California's homeless live outside the shelter system. (but it doesn't seem to be adjusted for lack of housing)
and Deinstitutionalization in the 50's which im aware.

I honestly don't see what it disproves about the point I made.
Fair enough. The thread’s been derailed enough that I’m not going to go point-by-point to identify the parts of the article that I think support my position more than yours.

But as to governmental paralysis, I will say that the mayoral race in LA last year, which Karen Bass won, was more focused on a single issue - homelessness - than any major election I can remember in my lifetime. Bass has jumped right in to try and make good on her campaign promises. We’ll see how it goes.

Fair enough. The thread’s been derailed enough that I’m not going to go point-by-point to identify the parts of the article that I think support my position more than yours.

But as to governmental paralysis, I will say that the mayoral race in LA last year, which Karen Bass won, was more focused on a single issue - homelessness - than any major election I can remember in my lifetime. Bass has jumped right in to try and make good on her campaign promises. We’ll see how it goes.

fair enough, we can stop derailing thread but ill just say.

FnV1VZRagAIjTMY

im not optimistic.

but hope springs eternal.

Housing is the primary solution to homelessness. The stability it provides helps with mental illness and poverty. Any solutions that come before are not serious solutions but distractions from the truth everyone likes to avoid, that most people would rather property retain value than people retain dignity.

Back
Top Bottom